Fawns? Anyone seeing them

Huntscreek

I stopped seeing any fawns last month and at that, just a couple of sightings on cams and walking...Like I said...the woods have smelled of death for weeks...I found the fisher ,but that is just one area...I have yet to find the source of others...though I caught this the other day...It is the one that killed all our goats a few years ago...

post-261-0-35673200-1468501792_thumb.jpg

they'd still be in hiding a bit but definitely moving around following momma by now.  I've seen quite a few.  tons of rabbits too and haven't heard much for yotes.  all that is a good sign.  although I came across some bear scat.  fox are always around too and they'll take fawns.

We are seeing more sets of twins than we have in quite some time. Perhaps because of the mild winter? And shooting a few coyotes over the winter may be helping a bit too. But for whatever reason, there seems to be a good crop of fawns this year in our area!

• Like 1

neighbors...I told this story already....done and over ...but, if it could kill a buck and 2 horned does, ripping 5 kids from their bellies..a few fawn shouldn't be a problem I would think....remember this is the area I had cam picture of a couple of fawn...That I haven't seen in a month.

All goats have horns...most get them debudded  not long after they are born and the horns begin to show..When we stopped showing them I chose to allow them to grow their horns ...thinking protection. Goats are formidable creatures...especially bucks when they have horns believe me.. So much for that idea. she has 2 dogs and I believe they worked together..for the buck literally had his face taken off..... As far as the dog... well this is a complicated legal thing that ties my hands...and this neighbor has ...some lets say issues of a different sort....

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

All goats have horns...most get them debudded  not long after they are born and the horns begin to show..When we stopped showing them I chose to allow them to grow their horns ...thinking protection. Goats are formidable creatures...especially bucks when they have horns believe me.. So much for that idea. she has 2 dogs and I believe they worked together..for the buck literally had his face taken off..... As far as the dog... well this is a complicated legal thing that ties my hands...and this neighbor has ...some lets say issues of a different sort....

probably not as complicated if the dog had blood all over its face and was dead laying next to goat pieces.  otherwise you've got a poor worthless lawyer.  point taken otherwise.

All goats have horns...most get them debudded not long after they are born and the horns begin to show..When we stopped showing them I chose to allow them to grow their horns ...thinking protection. Goats are formidable creatures...especially bucks when they have horns believe me.. So much for that idea. she has 2 dogs and I believe they worked together..for the buck literally had his face taken off..... As far as the dog... well this is a complicated legal thing that ties my hands...and this neighbor has ...some lets say issues of a different sort....

You have a back hoe, yes?

Shoot, shovel and shut up. SSS........

• Like 1

I had one camera out for a couple of days, and got these pictures. I also have seen a few fawns down in the driveway.

post-11-0-56943000-1468570685_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-52273000-1468570725_thumb.jpg

They are around, but this time of year the thick foliage makes them hide pretty darn good. Also at this age, they and their mother are pretty much home-bodies and don't move any great distances. So if trail cams aren't in the exact right spots, you likely won't get pictures of them. After the winter we had, the fawn success rates should be pretty good.

I stopped seeing any fawns last month and at that, just a couple of sightings on cams and walking...Like I said...the woods have smelled of death for weeks...I found the fisher ,but that is just one area...I have yet to find the source of others...though I caught this the other day...It is the one that killed all our goats a few years ago...

The problem with uncontrolled dogs is that they kill just for the fun of it, unlike coyotes that kill for their own subsistence. Back when I was a kid, we raised sheep and had several instances where dogs came in and went through the flock doing just enough damage to kill the sheep and never eating any of them. And why would they, they simply go home and get some nice dog food fed to them. So to them it is all just sport. would they kill fawns when they find them? ..... probably.