usual prevailing wind direction

Doc

So, just out of curiosity, what do you consider the usual prevailing wind direction on your hunting property. Of course we get the hodge-podge of wind directions, but here in the Bristol Hills area, the wind predominantly is coming from the west to east. I have always wondered if the usual prevailing wind direction is the same all over the state.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

So, just out of curiosity, what do you consider the usual prevailing wind direction on your hunting property. Of course we get the hodge-podge of wind directions, but here in the Bristol Hills area, the wind predominantly is coming from the west to east. I have always wondered if the usual prevailing wind direction is the same all over the state.

Normal weather flow in the northern hemisphere is west to east. 

• Like 3

Prevailing winds are almost always out of the west to northwest in this part of NY. But I live 200 yards west of Seneca lake with a very gradual 600+ foot rise in elevation directly behind me and I've found that more often than not during hunting season the air moves out of the east. I'm not sure why this is so.

My computer is tied into a few local amateur weather stations, but they're all located on top of the hill somewhere behind me and will show air movement out of the west, even though the 'telltale' surveyor's tape I put up in my back yard clearly shows an easterly direction.

Physics might explain the prevailing west wind.   We have day and night because the earth is round and spins, like on an axis, at one revolution per day, while orbiting the sun at one revolution per year.  Because the sun rises in the east, the earth's daily rotation must be towards the west.  If not, then those folks to the west would see the sunrise earlier than those to the east.    What we feel as "wind", may be air standing still, but the ground below it rotating towards the west.  Newton's law say's that a body at rest stays at rest, unless acted on by a force.   Local weather disturbances may provide that "force" and cause the wind to temporarily deviate from the prevailing westerly direction.  Knowing the diameter of the earth, it would be easy to calculate the average velocity of the west wind over a long period of time.   It is quite a stretch to think that this stuff happens as it does by random chance and without a divine creator.                    

Edited by wolc123
shortened
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Physics might explain the prevailing west wind.   We have day and night because the earth is round and spins, like on an axis, at one revolution per day, while orbiting the sun at one revolution per year.  Because the sun rises in the east, the earth's daily rotation must be towards the west.  If not, then those folks to the west would see the sunrise earlier than those to the east.    What we feel as "wind", may be air standing still, but the ground below it rotating towards the west.  Newton's law say's that a body at rest stays at rest, unless acted on by a force.   Local weather disturbances may provide that "force" and cause the wind to temporarily deviate from the prevailing westerly direction.  Knowing the diameter of the earth, it would be easy to calculate the average velocity of the west wind over a long period of time.   It is quite a stretch to think that this stuff happens as it does by random chance and without a divine creator.                    

Oh. My. Gosh.

It reminds me of the tough guy saying that someone's head is going to run into his fist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Um, so how does that explain when there is no breeze? The Earth is still spinning. Right? :declare:

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

"Local weather disturbances may provide that "force" and cause the wind to temporarily deviate from the prevailing westerly direction."

That should cover it Rob, any more questions?

I have a question. Did you actually pass HS math, or were you the class genius or teachers pet?

• Like 6