LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

16 hours ago, germs087 said:

Sat out all day in this terrible weather and to my amazement had a good buck come in hot chasing a doe around 4:45. Of course he was dead down wind and picked up my scent but couldn't figure out where it was coming from due to the high winds. He froze for about 2 minutes behind a tree with only his back end exposed, meanwhile daylight is fading and I am waiting for him to split. He ended up turning to head back the way he came from and I squeezed off a shot. He was quartering away when I shot and I think I was aimed a bit back when I squeezed off the round. He fell over when I hit him and gathered himself and hastily walked away. There was OK blood for the first 100 yards or so and that fizzled out for about 100 yards when it picked back up and he entered a thicket. I decided to back out as I was not confident of the shot. I gave him about an hour after I shot before I tracked and hadn't come across a bed before he entered that thicket. My thought was to back out if I find a bed. He was dragging a leg on the far side of his body so that would lead me to believe the bullet likely entered mid body and hit the leg/shoulder on the way through. Thoughts? I am not sure what tomorrow will bring and honestly a little angry with myself I didn't make a better shot.

Anybody hear from germs?? 

Back at car. Things to do and can hunt all day tomorrow. Took a slow walk thru the white pines as I normally don't. Wind was perfect and snow was quiet. Hoping to bump one off a bed. No go on the deer sign but 5-6 coyotes had worked in there and recent. They had coyote trails. Went in with ML slung on shoulder and hand to hand hoping to see those stink dogs. 6 coyotes and 1 for each of them. No go 61371aba836db12c061a05022a8ef1b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

To update my hit from last night, started in on the trail again this morning around 10am. Found a bed 30 yards from where he entered the thicket I likely bumped him out of last night. Found a couple more beds in a different thicket not to far from the first, all appear to be from last night. Had to get permission to enter the neighbors property and after I picked up the trail headed down a snowmobile trail headed back to the area I shot he called and asked to wait until dark and he will run the wheeler back there. Darkness can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/1008fe9355ba22d7e2c2ef2bf3d9601d.jpg[/img
Out in the meadow stand in 6g hopeing to turn my luck around, my son seen 9 from here the other day but they were at the far end of the meadow about 300 yards out to far form him to feel comfortable with a shot. I hope there a little closer tonight, good luck to all

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Passed up on 2 does on the walk in, 50 yds, no idea I was there. Watched them browse for a bit hoping a buck might be with them but no show. I'd have shot one but I don't feel like dragging through 2' of snow

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What ? Big does , pull the trigger. Suck it up man. Drag , get home and have a beer. Freezer filler. So a buck you'll have to drag thru 2' as well and you don't eat the horns. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

I have an excellent change in scenery thanks to Larry302. However... I seemed to have misplaced my atomic fireball. Hope a jawbreaker will do the trick. Tonight is going to be awesome. 

Good luck to you two.  I will never be invited back because of a coffee break so be careful on your movement.  lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Good luck to you two.  I will never be invited back because of a coffee break so be careful on your movement.  lol

Lol. I heard about that. I'm sitting tight.  Saw four deer already or maybe two deer twice. I better take Larry's advice and put my phone away. 

• Like 1

Well I hit a different spot for evening and two sets track way up top. Then nothing the whole way in. I'm sitting here feeling very alone with no tracks for two days in all this snow!

872faca979e3b3cab6df80c5da312d97.jpg

4e07428e9c968b6b27291cff91951b6c.jpg

Probably better off walking but about outa legal anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ? Big does , pull the trigger. Suck it up man. Drag , get home and have a beer. Freezer filler. So a buck you'll have to drag thru 2' as well and you don't eat the horns. 

I have 3 deer in my freezer already, I'm not hurting for venison. If I was I would have definitely shot one!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hit the public land today 90 min after first light. Not many cars there (two, one of which had five people standing around it) and they were both gone by 10:00. Two more showed up by 2:00 but hundreds of acres to myself. I do mean literally to myself.

I walked off the road and then picked up tons upon tons of fresh tracks including pee spots, including blood spots (! Not many, but some deer was bleeding and I could not keep the trail as it was very little).

I walked for a good while and could not kick up a single animal nor see one. Where I was the wind was very light with a big hill to the west and water to the east with about a 100 yard corridor. It's a really nice corridor, but no loitering; everything was just trails.

I was going to sit in a field near the road until dusk, but that plan got canned for two reasons:

1. At 10:00 am I was happily traversing marsh I never could before in my nice high new swamptracker boots when I managed to step in quicksand and water just popped over the top so my feet were wet (not cold but gross)
  2. Ignorantly, I bought a scope for my rifle that has no turret caps. This makes me a bad ass at the range playing around with it, but without caps my zero had been altered fiddling with the sling and having it over my back. I took a couple shots at a 50 yard target in the field to see if I had truly changed it and I had, so I had to go back to the range this afternoon to re-zero. I guess this is why people who hunt say get a scope with turret caps.

deer1.JPG

dee2.JPG

deer3.JPG