LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Well 18" drifts in my driveway took me 30 min to snowblow it. Never, ever seen anything like this in November.

My day is probably blown. I can't reasonably make it out there and not get stuck somewhere. I guess the only deer I'll be killing today are in a video game. The good news though is I have tues/wed off and neither appear to have precipitation, so that will leave nice big tracks for deer and I will find somewhere to park even if I have to shovel out a spot.

Live from the computer room...This wind woke me 3 x' s last night,and we have a well insulated house. To dangerous and not even close to enjoyable out there. I really don't need a buck or any deer that bad. 22 degrees with 22 mph winds even the deer deserve a break in this crud. Please be safe if your out there.

• Like 1

It is still blowing and snowing here in lake effect world. I don't need any deer bad enough in 28 mph winds and 40 mph gusts!! I'll see them after this blow stops! Looks like about 8-9 inches so far with another 4-5 to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

IMO   If you have a bunch of property to hunt. Get out of stands this morning , still hunt , snow is quiet , play the wind, small stands of pines and blow downs deer may be bedded down. I have a very small stand of pines by our blind. Deer kept appearing their to browse and be shielded from the wind. Also snuck up on a bb real close on the way out hunting into the wind.  Snow was so quiet compared to potato chip walking on Saturday. Good luck to all who are braving it. Be safe driving too 

• Like 6

IMO   If you have a bunch of property to hunt. Get out of stands this morning , still hunt , snow is quiet , play the wind, small stands of pines and blow downs deer may be bedded down. I have a very small stand of pines by our blind. Deer kept appearing their to browse and be shielded from the wind. Also snuck up on a bb real close on the way out hunting into the wind.  Snow was so quiet compared to potato chip walking on Saturday. Good luck to all who are braving it. Be safe driving too 

The bed wouldn't let go of me this morning after doing about 4 miles of this yesterday down in 9R. Out in 9J today praying the trees don't come down.

What's the heater suit?

It's a cold weather hunting suit, like a sleeping bag with legs. No arms, it zips up to the neck. You carry it in and put it on once your in your stand/ blind. It's must have for staying warm. I use toe warmer in my boots, and put a few warmers in my pockets, zip up in the HBSuit and enjoy the hunt. Look em up online too for more details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Took a walk out back this morning and have tons of branches and a few trees down. Due to heavy, wet snow freezing in the trees and then the 40+ mph winds. Not at all safe in our woods right now, until this wind subsidies a bit. About 10 to 12 inches of snow and thigh deep drifts. A few scattered tracks, but the deer seem hunkered down for the most part. May try to still hunt some sheltered spots later on. Got some clean up around the house to do first. Getting back to some of the out of the way set ups, on the back of the properties,  will now be much more difficult . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Live from the computer room...This wind woke me 3 x' s last night,and we have a well insulated house. To dangerous and not even close to enjoyable out there. I really don't need a buck or any deer that bad. 22 degrees with 22 mph winds even the deer deserve a break in this crud. Please be safe if your out there.

Yes I think snow is one thing but it's actually a blizzard out there for me. I think there is a travel advisory out anyway.

I'm baking bread and playing video games.

Edited by Core

20" of snow and 50mph wind gusts. Screw that! I was planning on plowing out at camp today, but with those high winds and 3-6" more expected, I'm sure it would be drifted right back in by tomorrow. The lane is ~1/2 mile long, so it's gonna take a while! I'll wait until tomorrow, when things calm down a bit...