burmjohn

LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

And car is a beautiful sight. My dad came out to brothers so they both saw my deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CONGRATS ! ! !

• Like 1

Kicked up a doe and fawn while checking cam at the end of day after legal light.  I did get a chance to see a crazy buck at the taxidermist on my way home though while picking up my lower jaw bones.  Crazy buck!  And I was told it was taken last night not too far from where I was this afternoon.  So there is hope for getting a buck this time of year.  Turkey feathers is an example.  They're out there.  

• Like 1

Do you de-bone it? I never leave bone in any venison..I also use a very sharp filet knife and trim heavily.

neck bones are

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Heard a gun shot really close. So close my ears are ringing. Hey. That was me ! 604705c834ece8bdf76a34fbcfc96d51.jpg

Love it when a plan comes together!

In two seasons the only deer I have seen were the ones I helped my buddies to drag out. :taunt:. But today, I finally had a deer in the scope!  Fast mover from left to right and behind a mess of thick cover.  When it hit a clear spot, I could see it was just a small doe or BB so I gave it a pass.  Try again tomorrow!

20161206_143327.jpg

• Like 5

3S: on the Taconic tonight around 730pm near FDR Park in Yorktown in the pouring rain/wet snow, I saw a nice 6 pointer chasing hard just off the shoulder.

• Like 3

Haven't been out due to family and new work obligations. Bow hunted 4x and this was my first reg season sit today. So thankful to put meat in the freezer! Usually out 40+ days per season.
99d2fdcfc172bb17b53c1ffee9acf780.jpg

• Like 22

You shot a doe wearing an orange leash ?Shame on you. Congrats !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

3 hours ago, Rockspek said:

Kicked up a doe and fawn while checking cam at the end of day after legal light.  I did get a chance to see a crazy buck at the taxidermist on my way home though while picking up my lower jaw bones.  Crazy buck!  And I was told it was taken last night not too far from where I was this afternoon.  So there is hope for getting a buck this time of year.  Turkey feathers is an example.  They're out there.  

Did it look like this? We may use the same taxidermist.

20161206_145234.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

"I'm not from New York. I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"

"It's not a passion. It's an obsession!!!" - Mossy Oak

Watched a decent 8 dogging a doe on my way into work tonight. About 10pm and snowing and he was running her down hard. Actually chased her head on at my truck for a second then turned and ran parallel to the road in the ditch right on her butt. Nice to see some action still going on!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Did it look like this? We may use the same taxidermist.

20161206_145234.jpg

LOL, You may be my taxidermist.  Seriously tho like I said yesterday, I'm glad you are getting to work on that monster.  Judging on your previous work I know you'll do a great job on it.  

ps. don't forget about mine being there too tho, and next year when you're all famous from it don't forget me when I bring in another normal not freak of nature to get mounted lol

So Turkeyfeathers and malletz fulfilled the challenge for yesterday with a buck and a doe.  Tho I'm waiting to read stories in the harvest thread.  Who's on it for today?  I again will be out for a short bit this morning and then will try to make it out in the afternoon depending on what happens at work today.  We had 3-5 inches of fresh snow here supposedly so I'm excited to be able to see the deer better.  

Well Rockspeck,afyer seeing the bucks yesterday I won't be able to stay out of the woods today. See if I find them again,or something bigger even. I would like to post a harvest,but we will see..

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JDN2K
      Just want to relay an experience I had this weekend regarding hunting regulations and other hunters.
      I've had several  hunter's tell me last weekend(10/12/2020) that muzzleloader was open, it is not. I also had two other hunters last weekend confront me as to why my son was carrying around a rifle and hunting deer. I calmly explained the youth weekend and the rules around it. After that everything was cool and we continued our hunt.
      I know at the end of the day we're all trying to participate in a sport we love and maybe harvest some game. My thought is to just make sure you're up on your local hunting regulations. Not just so you are within the rules, but also so you can assert your right to be where you are, hunting the way you're hunting.
      I know when I have been operating outside of the regulations I have appreciated a person respectfully correcting my ignorance and I try to pay it forward by being informed and respectfully educating when required.
      Thanks for listening, off my SB...
    • By Alfredo
      Hello,
      I am in the process of purchasing my first rifle to go hunting deer for the first time.  However, I have received contradicting information regarding the types of rifles that are legal.  Based on what I have read, it appears that I am able to use a bolt-action rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine which holds 10 rounds.  However, I have been told that this is not the case. I can't seem to find where this is stated.  Can any one here provide me with some insight into this? I'd really appreciate it.
      Thanks in Advanced,
      Alfredo
    • By RJ_Outdoor_Experience
      Newest Hunting Podcast called The Young American Hunter has now published its first episode. Lead by Ryan & Jake- the moderators of @rj_outdoor_exeprience on Instagram. Both Ryan and Jake are avid outdoorsmen and have been around hunting their entire lives. Learning from the young and the old, Ryan and Jake bring their experiences straight to you. On the first episode of The Young American Hunter podcast, Jake provides a brief introduction and explains the purpose of the show. Ryan will be joining in on future episodes. To listen to the episode, copy and paste the link below into your web browser. Here is the bio for Jake's introduction:

"Thank you for joining us for our FIRST ever hunting podcast here on the Young American Hunter podcast. As you may have already heard, this podcast is gauged towards the new hunters trying to get out in the woods. The Young American Hunter podcast is here to entertain the hunting population, educate upcoming hunters, provide product reviews and discuss some of the newest Wildlife Management Laws. This episode is broadcasted by Jake (Big Haas). Ryan (Rooster) will be joining us in the following episodes. As time goes on and the more episodes that are being published, we promise you it will be more entertaining. This episode is just an introduction... We cant wait to bring more to you! Follow our virtual journal on Instagram (@rj_outoor_experience) and engage in some of the feeds we post! We look forward to hearing from you and enjoy the show! Thank you for joining us for our FIRST ever hunting podcast here on the Young American Hunter podcast. As you may have already heard, this podcast is gauged towards the new hunters trying to get out in the woods. The Young American Hunter podcast is here to entertain the hunting population, educate upcoming hunters, provide product reviews and discuss some of the newest Wildlife Management Laws. This episode is broadcasted by Jake (Big Haas). Ryan (Rooster) will be joining us in the following episodes. As time goes on and the more episodes that are being published, we promise you it will be more entertaining. This episode is just an introduction... We cant wait to bring more to you! Follow our virtual journal on Instagram (@rj_outoor_experience) and engage in some of the feeds we post! We look forward to hearing from you and enjoy the show!"
      "FYI... Future podcasts will be longer! this was a basic overview of Jakes's hunting background. We hope you enjoyed it... God Bless America"

Link:  https://anchor.fm/youngamericanhunter
      FOLLOW: @rj_outdoor_experience on Instagram

• By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Here's a New York turkey hunt that should get your blood flowing! Hope ya'll enjoy my newest episode! If you like what you see, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel! Cross Over the River Outdoors! #ItsHuntingTimeOlBuck #Ozonics #DeadRinger #Tactacam #NewYorkTurkeyHunt #huntingvideo

• By C-H Bob
      We will be publishing the new list of available hunting leases on Monday, March 2, 2020 at 7:30 AM on our website www.cottonhanlon.com 
      Cotton-Hanlon is a private timber company that owns land in NY and PA (sorry all our land in PA is currently leased). We have been leasing land since the fall of 1970. You will be dealing directly with the us, no third parties.
      Still working on the list but it looks like we'll have woodlots available in the following counties in NY: Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Oswego, Schuyler, Tioga and Tompkins.
      Make sure to check it out first thing that morning for the best choices.
      Thanks, Bob