At the start of the season, morning or afternoon

maytom

With the opening day of archery season fast approaching, I was wondering what time frame you guys prefer to hunt, since it still stays light out well into the evening. Are you a morning person, or a evening person. For me, at this time of the year, evenings seem to get the nod with the deer still on a crop feeding pattern. Mornings are tuff due to the deer still being out feeding, and bumping them is always a possible situation. But I can see if your working afternoons, etc. mornings, would work better. When it gets closer towards Halloween, I tend to split it up more. Then it comes to all day hunts when November hits, especially the 7th through the 14th. Thoughts?

I'll hunt morning and evening sat-Monday this opening weekend. I love to hunt so I get out there as much as possible. Can't get em from the couch!

Unfortunately I couldn't get any time off in November this year. We fired a guy at work so we are short handed as is and another guy with more seniority than me already had the first 3 dang weeks off in November. So I'm gonna be stuck working 12 hour days for a little over 3 weeks straight. It's gonna be tough getting out in the woods this November that's for sure. So I took the last week of October off. It was the best I could do and I hope I will catch a mature buck beginning his cruising for does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moring due to temps....I want the deer down gutted,skinned and quartered before temps rise...so I'm out there 11/2 hours early to give any spooked deer time to settle and return...Sometimes I hit the houses at 11 pm and just sleep in the folding cots I keep in them. Set my phone alarm on low volume or vibrate to go off 1/2 hour before legal light.That gives me enough time to get set up and fully wake up.

That reminds me of a story my dad told me grow. He said when he was in his early 20s ,him and my uncle would close the Angelica hotel and drive back to camp,instead of going to sleep,my dad would put on his camo and go sleep at the base of his tree,when he woke up ,he would get in his stand and hunt. 

• Like 1

Jeremy ,

I have a tree lounge climber and have a yoga pad I use to keep my back warm from the cold breezes blowing through the mesh...I've taken that out climbed 8 ft up with a fleece camo blanket over me Tied myself in...slept until  an hour before time to hunt then finished the climb up the tree...dang comfy stands they are.

• Like 1

I will hunt both morning and evening opening weekend because I won't be able to help myself. Then, when or if I mellow out a little I think mornings will be better if you have  a good way to the stand without spooking deer.

I will try to ease of hunting some for the second half of October and then hit the stands really hard in early November, trying to catch a cruising buck. That is unless I already get one early on.

10 hours ago, growalot said:

Jeremy ,

I have a tree lounge climber and have a yoga pad I use to keep my back warm from the cold breezes blowing through the mesh...I've taken that out climbed 8 ft up with a fleece camo blanket over me Tied myself in...slept until  an hour before time to hunt then finished the climb up the tree...dang comfy stands they are.

Ha Grow, I remember my dad brought home a vhs tape of the tree lounge, they were promoting it and showing some hunts out of it. I should rummage thru the archives for it, neither parent thru much away.

12 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I'll hunt morning and evening sat-Monday this opening weekend. I love to hunt so I get out there as much as possible. Can't get em from the couch!

Unfortunately I couldn't get any time off in November this yearemoji17.png. We fired a guy at work so we are short handed as is and another guy with more seniority than me already had the first 3 dang weeks off in November. So I'm gonna be stuck working 12 hour days for a little over 3 weeks straight. It's gonna be tough getting out in the woods this November that's for sure. So I took the last week of October off. It was the best I could do and I hope I will catch a mature buck beginning his cruising for does

That sucks the big one. The company I worked for had a ban on vacation all November due to some changes. Luckily I recently took a promotion at another company and can take as much time off as I want!! Hello Nov!!

• Like 1

Ok for me I have 3 heads on the wall, two in the morning and one in the evening. The two from the morning came from a spot I use to hunt. There was no easy access it was a large patch of woods with fields all around it. Only way in was walking in the fields most times moving deer.

That sucks the big one. The company I worked for had a ban on vacation all November due to some changes. Luckily I recently took a promotion at another company and can take as much time off as I want!! Hello Nov!!

Nice! I'd be with ya on jumping ship from any company that didn't allow vacation to be taken in November! Lol.

Usually I would have no problem getting the time off. The other guy I work with who has the 3 weeks off in November is actually a good friend of mine and my huntin buddy. It's a good thing we didn't plan a hunt out west this year or we'd be in trouble!

I told our boss this will be the one and ONLY year that I'll bend over backwards and get screwed out of hunting time in November. I could probably cause a fuss with our union and get the time off but I'm not into unnecessary drama.

I'll just suck it up and lose out on some sleep and hunt the afternoons....and collect some massive paychecks for a month lol. At least Christmas shopping will be covered...wife will be happy! Lol

• Like 1

Opening day is generally an all day hunt / sit . Might change stands due to wind change . Hoping I will be physically capable of getting out opening day .

This Friday ( the 23rd ) , I am going to have a extracorporeal-shock-wave-lithotripsy procedure to bust up a small kidney stone with shock waves . Apparently the kidney will be bruised and I will have a stent in place . I am hoping that I will be able to draw my bow and endure any discomfort . I had a different procedure done in the early part of the year so I would be fine for bow season . The urologist didn't get all of the damn stone on his 1st try  . 

It's a 50 mile drive to my spot in Geneseo so I try to make it an all day stay . 

For me it's all going to depend on where I'm hunting! If it's the old place it will most likely be dark to dark. As I have permission to use the land but not the house. If it's the new place it will be dark till 11 and then 2 till dark

16 hours ago, growalot said:

Moring due to temps....I want the deer down gutted,skinned and quartered before temps rise...so I'm out there 11/2 hours early to give any spooked deer time to settle and return...Sometimes I hit the houses at 11 pm and just sleep in the folding cots I keep in them. Set my phone alarm on low volume or vibrate to go off 1/2 hour before legal light.That gives me enough time to get set up and fully wake up.

What happens if Chit hits the fan?  Would you rather a deer bake all day or be kept cooler overnight to recover in the am?