How many bullets do you bring in the field when you hunt

Deerstalker

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Pretty tough to signal for help with a map and compass if you bust a leg......

Good point as well. The shoot three times in succession to signal for help may not always work. If you are in an area where people rip up the woods with three shots at deer in succession, who's going to know you are in trouble? Or, even worse, there are areas to hunt in NYS where you can be miles deep, no one else around, so no one would hear the shots anyway. Tell people where you will be, and what time you will be home. If they do not hear from you in 2 hours past a check in time, tell them to come looking for you.

Hey look, I am not arguing about anything on this. Carry as much ammo as you want. If you feel the need to carry 100 rounds go for it. You might come across aliens or big foot, I hear they don't go down easy.

• 8 months later...

About 10 rounds I carry. My 308 holds 5 and I have 5 spares. But I'm not going deep into the unknown. If I ever er turned around I'm never too far from a road. Plus if I shoot 10 times I think it's time to go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Couple of 4rnd clips for the 270. If that doesn't work, time to go back to the range. With the ML, usually load it up & carry 2-3 speedloaders in my pocket. Not sure why, rarely ever get a 2nd shot with a smokepole! Still remember as a youngster carrying almost a boxful of 12ga slugs when I thought more lead meant more venison. Thank God I've gotten over that philosophy and like the one shot, one kill approach better now-a-days.

5 rounds in the gun, 10 in the ammo pouch on my belt and many times a few more in the backpack or my coat pocket.  I've made plenty of one shot kills, but how much extra weight is 10 extra rounds?  Not much, and like it's been said a gun is useless without the ammo.  Maybe others have more confidence in themselves, but I've learned better over the years.  Those bringing only 3 or 4 rounds with them will get burned sooner or later.  I just hope they shoot the same caliber as me, so if I run into them in the woods trailing a wounded deer with no ammo left, I can sell them a few rounds for $50 a piece! LOL

On 12/3/2016 at 4:12 PM, ....rob said:

Good point as well. The shoot three times in succession to signal for help may not always work. If you are in an area where people rip up the woods with three shots at deer in succession, who's going to know you are in trouble? Or, even worse, there are areas to hunt in NYS where you can be miles deep, no one else around, so no one would hear the shots anyway. Tell people where you will be, and what time you will be home. If they do not hear from you in 2 hours past a check in time, tell them to come looking for you.

Hey look, I am not arguing about anything on this. Carry as much ammo as you want. If you feel the need to carry 100 rounds go for it. You might come across aliens or big foot, I hear they don't go down easy.

All great points spoken by someone who obviously hasn't had anything major go wrong.  I've had to make my way in to find an uncle with a broken leg. No cells back then and I doubt there was coverage anyway. Telling someone where you are is great for a general area but will not put you on point. 3 shot volleys at dark are just what got us to him. 

• 2 months later...

I take a whole box.  One year when i was younger i only took three in the shotgun.  Missed on my first.  And clipped him with my second on the spine.  Unfortunately i had to go up and take care of him and i kept thinking “thank goodness i had one left”.  Ever since then i take way more than i need.  

• Like 2

On 11/19/2016 at 10:20 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

From someone who has been there and done it there isn't a worse feeling in the world that seeing a deer that you have shot staring at you when you have an empty gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe one.  I imagine those brave Mainers on day two of Gettysburg felt a little worse up on little roundtop, when the rebs charged up and all they had to stop them were their bayonets.  They all had 60 rounds at the start.

Edited by wolc123

3 shot volley for SOS with my primary gun being a ML is going to suck  ^_^     Has anyone ever needed help in bow season and quickly released 3 arrows for a distress call ?:pleasantry:

I always carry more ammo than needed but you never know when a zombie appocolypse may occur and I gotta fight my way back to the car