I'm going to buy more orange today.

Rockspek

2 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

The problem is how do you inforce what someone wears  on private property when they hunt? Really cant and it seems like most these accidents are happening on private land and even worse among people who know each other.  Maybe we should let nature take its course and decrease the  dumb gene pool by letting them shoot each other. Eventually only the people that  are smart enough to wear blaze orange and follow safety precautions when using a firearm will be left and this problem will solve itself in a few hundred years.

Sometimes it takes a law to clearly make a statement about how important blaze orange is as a safety item. Leaving things as they are almost implies that the state thinks that not wearing blaze orange is ok with them which leaves all of their statements on the subject go over with just a wink and a nod, and no real commitment.

Perhaps there is some merit to allowing Darwin's principles to take out these mental rejects. But that ignores the fact that someone is left behind to anguish over what amounts to "suicide by hunter".

if i was going to hunt with idiots on state land , andI wont. i would wear some orange. but i hunt mostly private land so as i sat in my blind i could clearly see the guy walk onto my private land ...he was wearing orange so i yelled at him from my blind i dont think he saw me but he heard the shot i sent across his bow. boy did he understand the English that was on the sign he was standing next to. without respect for me i will not have any for you.next time poacher its going to be the sheriff that needs to sort it out.Things haven't changed just the times we live in so the guy was not in front of the gun  but he got the full jist of the muzzle blast

Im guessing they  dont bother with a law because its mostly happeing on private, land  and hunters shooting other hunters and sinse most hunters  are not liberals  . They dont care .

They would only care if a hunter shot a treehunging liberal that was hiking  then you would see how fast they passed that law .

Edited by Deerstalker

You do know that last sentence makes no sense ...why would a non hunting tree hugging liberal be effected by Hunting regulation?...even with such a needed regulation,tree huggers could be shot. They would not be required to wear orange.

Vizslas...seriously ,shot over is bow...wow! You certainly were correct in another post....

• Like 2

Wow some crazy stuff in this thread lol. I wear orange because my dad always has and told me I had to when I started hunting. Seems pretty dumb not to have on any orange when you can still kill deer just as easily (as easy as with no orange) and it will make you stand out to other hunters. Who cares if it's private land? I only hunt private and wear it all the time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, growalot said:

You do know that last sentence makes no sense ...why would a non hunting tree hugging liberal be effected by Hunting regulation?...even with such a needed regulation,tree huggers could be shot. They would not be required to wear orange.

Vizslas...seriously ,shot over is bow...wow! You certainly were correct in another post....

The point is politicians dont care enough about one or two Hunters  every year getting shot to change the law . It barely makes the news. 

Its only when non hunters complains  or get hurt that the state acts most the time .  For example Shotgun zones and bow only zones happend not because of hunters getting shot its, because of non hunters complaing about  them being dangerous or stray bullets hitting their houses . 

17 minutes ago, growalot said:

Lol...I knew the point....If it takes a tree hugging liberal...so be it...hunters don't seem to get it. For they have been the ones wanting It blocked.

Do you really think the tree hungging libs care if hunters get shot, they probably have a celebration when it happens with Peta lol  

Edited by Deerstalker

The chances of getting shot are there every time one ventures out hunting. I don't know the percentages, but it's there. Wearing hunter orange can only lower the percentage; that again, I don't know. how much, but surely the percentage lower significantly.

With the shootings and deaths across the state this hunting season; lower that percentage for yourself, wear orange!

4 hours ago, Cabinboy said:

I wear orange even though I hunt my own property where no one else is supposed to be hunting, you just never know.I never have a problem filling my tag while wearing orange during gun season so don't see the need to wear camo unless you plan on hunting where you shouldn't.

All those bow hunters are just poachers and trespassers trying to get away with something?

4 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

. Camo is more of a thing to avoid other humans . Then animals .  

I don't agree with this. I wear orange during gun. but there is no way anyone will convince me that a solid blog of orange (still seen by deer as a solid figure) is as effective as a camo pattern. I think the orange camo patterns are the way to go. 

• Like 1

Orange vest and hats for daughter and I . When hunting from natural blind we take off orange hats and I hang them outside the blind so they can be seen from 2 directions. I take my vest off and will also hang it on a nearby tree some times. Hats always on the outside. But man, I know deer aren't supposed to be able to see orange but man in the back of my head I'm always thinking' I gotta stick out like a sore thumb". I guess it comes from turkey hunting and full camo and super stealth mode.

One of the 2 guys I threw off private property on opening day had full camo on. Zero orange. As I was bitching at the usual suspect  I barely noticed the other guy walking up to him. Guarantee he thought not wearing orange was a good idea as they absolutely knew they'd be trespassing that day. To be unseen by other people no doubt

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Orange vest and hats for daughter and I . When hunting from natural blind we take off orange hats and I hang them outside the blind so they can be seen from 2 directions. I take my vest off and will also hang it on a nearby tree some times. Hats always on the outside. But man, I know deer aren't supposed to be able to see orange but man in the back of my head I'm always thinking' I gotta stick out like a sore thumb". I guess it comes from turkey hunting and full camo and super stealth mode.

One of the 2 guys I threw off private property on opening day had full camo on. Zero orange. As I was bitching at the usual suspect  I barely noticed the other guy walking up to him. Guarantee he thought not wearing orange was a good idea as they absolutely knew they'd be trespassing that day. To be unseen by other people no doubt

Us hunters think sometimes that deer sense the world around them like humans do but they dont deer have eyes design to detect movement not details or color if you freeze in one spot they cant  see you basically . They use there other sense  of smell and hearing and movement to detect you . One time i  had deer walk within 15, 20   yards of me  as i was sitting on the  ground against a large tree  just by freezing like a statue in place  not move a muscle and  I had a camo pattern  orange hat black face mask  camo patter vest on  and the wind was blowing at me away from the deer  light Breeze of 5 mph about they had no idea i was there until i moved . 

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Lol...I knew the point....If it takes a tree hugging liberal...so be it...hunters don't seem to get it. For they have been the ones wanting It blocked.

Even the tree hugging liberals get orange vests for themselves and their dogs when they go hiking during hunting season. 

45 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't agree with this. I wear orange during gun. but there is no way anyone will convince me that a solid blog of orange (still seen by deer as a solid figure) is as effective as a camo pattern. I think the orange camo patterns are the way to go. 

Any color, other than blue, as long as it isn't presented as a solid mass should not stand out to deer.

The problem with a lot of the popular mimicry camos that I see is it's based on micro details that become unnoticeable at 20yards and farther. You just end up becoming a human shaped blob of color.

Breakup patterns that are meant to disrupt silhouettes rather than make you invisible seem more effective to me.

Selections for orange with breakup are limited but I think Cabela's carries some called Blaze Horizon that should fit the bill. You can also find them in fabric stores if your DIY-inclined.

Edited by uberyan

2 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

Im guessing they  dont bother with a law because its mostly happeing on private, land  and hunters shooting other hunters and sinse most hunters  are not liberals  . They dont care .

They would only care if a hunter shot a tree hugging liberal that was hiking  then you would see how fast they passed that law .

Any color, other than blue, as long as it isn't presented as a solid mass should not stand out to deer.
The problem with a lot of the popular mimicry camos that I see is it's based on micro details that become unnoticeable at 20yards and farther. You just end up becoming a human shaped blob of color.
Breakup patterns that are meant to disrupt silhouettes rather than make you invisible seem more effective to me.
Selections for orange with breakup are limited but I think Cabela's carries some called Blaze Horizon that should fit the bill. You can also find them in fabric stores if your DIY-inclined.

Vertigo and Predator are two amazing patterns that never went "mainstream" because they aren't what hunters are used to buying. I wear vertigo with a breakup orange vest and have had countless deer stare at me for minutes on end before deciding I was no threat and going about their business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Vertigo and Predator are two amazing patterns that never went "mainstream" because they aren't what hunters are used to buying. I wear vertigo with a breakup orange vest and have had countless deer stare at me for minutes on end before deciding I was no threat and going about their business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not familiar with Vertigo but Predator was one of the ones I was considering when I started. Really nice patterns.

I ended up going with ASAT as I thought it would work for more seasons and different environments. And because blackovis ended up having a flash sale on first lite gear so I figured it was meant to be.

ASAT is a camo I really like and think actually may work, to bad there is not much of a selection . As I've said before camo is made to look good to hunters .

Which is why ones like ASAT don't take off. Here's my daughter in my 20 year old ASAT bibs.

And keeping with the thread an orange vest .

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, vizslas said:

if i was going to hunt with idiots on state land , andI wont. i would wear some orange. but i hunt mostly private land so as i sat in my blind i could clearly see the guy walk onto my private land ...he was wearing orange so i yelled at him from my blind i dont think he saw me but he heard the shot i sent across his bow. boy did he understand the English that was on the sign he was standing next to. without respect for me i will not have any for you.next time poacher its going to be the sheriff that needs to sort it out.Things haven't changed just the times we live in so the guy was not in front of the gun  but he got the full jist of the muzzle blast

Wow, I am thankful you hunt in Western NY and not Central NY.  I always thought "Trespassers Will Be Shot" was a tongue in cheek saying, not someone's reality!

12 minutes ago, Otto said:

Wow, I am thankful you hunt in Western NY and not Central NY.  I always thought "Trespassers Will Be Shot" was a tongue in cheek saying, not someone's reality!

hey otto this guy was sixty yards to my left and only fifteen yards in front of my blind the shot was no where near this guy. he was in front of the gun so he got all the noise .i did scare him though  i doubt he will be back. it was just an informative shot because he just stood there after i said something to him. just a little attitude adjustment

5 hours ago, vizslas said:

hey otto this guy was sixty yards to my left and only fifteen yards in front of my blind the shot was no where near this guy. he was in front of the gun so he got all the noise .i did scare him though  i doubt he will be back. it was just an informative shot because he just stood there after i said something to him. just a little attitude adjustment

You should be facing felony criminal charges for shooting towards another person. Talk about being a moron.