Reports- Conservation Officer Shot by Hunter

upstate

Seeing reports on social media, no official news releases, nor reports from credible sources. 

This was what was on Facebook post 

"Prayers needed for an Encon officer 
Shot by a hunter in Columbia County
Trauma center"

I hope this is wrong 

Not a good season for safety from what I am hearing.  Prays for him, I hope he is ok. 

I think it is something you should be charged for..  "I thought it was a deer."  This is not an acceptable excuse!  If you shoot at something and it happens to be a person you should get a mandatory jail penalty for a lengthy time!  10 Year minimum would be a nice start. 

• Like 6

This is getting ridiculous. Sitting through that 8 hour course with my butt falling asleep and getting sore at the same time, the main thing that the instructor drilled into our heads was safety, safety, safety. 

Anytime you step out into the woods as a hunter you represent not just yourself but the entire hunting community. 

You practice safety above all and make damn sure you know what you're shooting at before you even think about pulling that trigger. 

Unless someone was walking on all fours with fake antlers on their head, I'm sorry the human form looks nothing like a deer. The bipedal human silhouette is a dead giveaway to most of the animals that humans hunt. Hence the camo and hiding and all that. So if you're too much of a dumbass to know what's a human, then you're less intelligent than the animals and have no business being out in the woods. 

Call me a goodie goodie nerd or whatever but I think with the current state of hunting with all the antis and negative attitudes it's really on us to make sure we do things legally, responsibly and morally. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, uberyan said:

This is getting ridiculous. Sitting through that 8 hour course with my butt falling asleep and getting sore at the same time, the main thing that the instructor drilled into our heads was safety, safety, safety. 

Anytime you step out into the woods as a hunter you represent not just yourself but the entire hunting community. 

You practice safety above all and make damn sure you know what you're shooting at before you even think about pulling that trigger. 

Unless someone was walking on all fours with fake antlers on their head, I'm sorry the human form looks nothing like a deer. The bipedal human silhouette is a dead giveaway to most of the animals that humans hunt. Hence the camo and hiding and all that. So if you're too much of a dumbass to know what's a human, then you're less intelligent than the animals and have no business being out in the woods. 

Call me a goodie goodie nerd or whatever but I think with the current state of hunting with all the antis and negative attitudes it's really on us to make sure we do things legally, responsibly and morally. 

Problem is they never fail anyone in the exam at the end of the hunter's safety course which is not really a good thing.  Maybe they should make the test harder and fail people if they don't qualify.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Elmo said:

Problem is they never fail anyone in the exam at the end of the hunter's safety course which is not really a good thing.  Maybe they should make the test harder and fail people if they don't qualify.

How?  either you pass the test or you dont and dont get a  license at least that was the way it was when i took the test over 30 years ago . 

When my daughter took the class a few years ago, she never read the book prior, just sat through class and took the test. She said it was the easiest test she ever took  .

I also attended  two,of the three nights including " test" night . I watched a couple kids who failed, get it changed to passing grades . The instructor goes over some of the questions they miss and make sure they understand why their answer was wrong and why the other is correct , then they give them credit for that question , which raises their grade to just over passing .

• Like 1

My older brother has a very mild case of dyslexia.  For the most part, he could read and write but sometimes, certain words will give him trouble.  He informed the instructor of this at the beginning of the course and asked if it was okay for him to ask them to read a sentence if he had trouble with one.  During the test he wasn't sure of one of the words on one of the questions.  When he went up to ask what the word was, the instructor told him the answer was "B".  He scored 48 out of 50 on the test.  He never did find out what that word was.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Larry302 said:

When my daughter took the class a few years ago, she never read the book prior, just sat through class and took the test. She said it was the easiest test she ever took  .

I also attended  two,of the three nights including " test" night . I watched a couple kids who failed, get it changed to passing grades . The instructor goes over some of the questions they miss and make sure they understand why their answer was wrong and why the other is correct , then they give them credit for that question , which raises their grade to just over passing .

I witnessed the same thing when my daughter took the class . Kids failed, instructor went over correct answers privately and they got credit.

We had a 5 year old at camp this year for opening day. My brother took him out opening morning, they both had plenty of orange on. Friday night prior to the opener I drilled it into everyones head the safety rules at the  cabin especially with the little guy in tow. We all were on a group text so each hunter  knew when someone was coming and going. Not once did I have to remind anyone to put their gun in a case or to unload out in the field not at the cabin. Alcohol was permitted after the guns were away………..Hope the Officer makes a quick recovery. I just can't believe the consequences of a bad decision or an illegal one all for the purpose of killing a deer. 

WTH...trespassing,shooting after hours,and I'm sorry,were those officers stupid enough to go in without orange at that hour?  I sure the heck hope not...None of this was accidental That officer was shot during an illegal activity!!!!!! 2nd degree assult?! That is not only an insult and slap to the victim, his family,and fellow officers,but to all law abiding hunters and land owners...AGAIN THE BALL HAS BEEN DROPPED!