That was disturbing !!

Salmon_Run

11 hours ago, philoshop said:

I just think the guy looking at soccer balls for the kid's Christmas or the woman going though the ski outfits or whatever, would have noticed an armed and angry person coming into the store and would have made a 911 call to alert the authorities.

One would have hoped that was the case and in a perfect word that might have happened. That is part of what was so DISTURBING.

1. when she came past the front register with a rifle and failed to stop for assistance the STORE should have called 911

2. when the disturbance escalated into shouting profanity and being disorderly in the back of the store SOMEONE should have called 911

3. when they began to bully, threaten and continue to be disorderly 911 should have been called and they be THROWN out the door by law enforcement

4. people actually gathered to watch this unfold in the area of the gun counter and shelves of ammo for sale ! In a perfect word people should have GOTTEN THE HELL out of there.

Not one employee was ready to deal with what could have been an active shooter situation, given the fact they had children with them or not it could have been very ugly in a hurry.

This happened in a community that dare I say is sheltered from crime and one wouldn't have expected this to happen but NO ONE was prepared for this.

Totally disturbing, I will never again leave my phone behind and while this was going on I placed a few rows of metal shelves between them and myself and was going to be a great witness.

Law enforcement trains for these situations routinely, private citizens do not, obviously store employees have not and luckily cooler heads prevailed and the young clerk removed the rifle from harms ways !!!

Almost 24 hours after I contacted Dick's management and I was promised a timely response within 24 hours I have not.......

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text
  • Like 1

Reading that makes me sick:bad:.thank god noone was hurt and it didnt go any farther.as others and yourself said.cant believe noone called 911.i give the clerk kudos for putting the gun behind the counter although it should have stayed there until authorities showed.agree'd on #1 of ur last post.thats when they should have been notified

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doebuck1234 said:

Reading that makes me sick:bad:.thank god noone was hurt and it didnt go any farther.as others and yourself said.cant believe noone called 911.i give the clerk kudos for putting the gun behind the counter although it should have stayed there until authorities showed.agree'd on #1 of ur last post.thats when they should have been notified

Well said and yes it was very fortunate no one was injured, very sad and gives lawful, responsible gun owners another BLACK EYE in the public's view.  

In any potential situation call 911 and start the response of enforcement, one can always and correctly modify that response accordingly if the situation escalated or modifies from the initial call....

• Like 1

Usually , but not all times , there is a greeter at the front entrance door of DICKs . If so , he should have stopped the woman .

I don't see making the clerk ( in some of the above posts ) the villain . Some time when you are bored stick around in the store and see the a-holes they have to deal with . 

The clerk was actually the ONLY one who acted and took the rifle from them, the managers weren't even on the same page and totally blew it. They had their hands full with the family and should have called 911 for help as they were in WAY over their heads immediately....I didn't see what, if anything had transpired at the front entrance. But if anyone tried to stop them I am sure they were given the same profanity laced response and they entered the store with gun in hand right past the front employees....

No word back from Dick's administration yet....

22 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

Well said and yes it was very fortunate no one was injured, very sad and gives lawful, responsible gun owners another BLACK EYE in the public's view.  

In any potential situation call 911 and start the response of enforcement, one can always and correctly modify that response accordingly if the situation escalated or modifies from the initial call....

Just curious........why didn't you grab any one of the number of land line phones throughout the store and call 911?

I stayed with the clerk and was witnessing the events unfold after the gun was safely away and was ready to testify as a witness if needed.

I would have had no idea where a landline would have been located as the store has been recently remodeled and I seldom shop there..

Do you think management is trained...or told to deal with all situations internally to prevent a lawsuit against the store?? Maybe if the cops were called the wacko family would have turned it into a lawsuit against Dicks for harassment...and picked up a few quick bucks in a settlement? Just a thought

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Do you think management is trained...or told to deal with all situations internally to prevent a lawsuit against the store?? Maybe if the cops were called the wacko family would have turned it into a lawsuit against Dicks for harassment...and picked up a few quick bucks in a settlement? Just a thought

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I felt like the management was not trained or forgot their training in the moment.....I just wonder how Daddy was going to be so rough and tough after he hooked up his portable oxygen and "came on over" to set the store right.....he must not be a backwoods hunter if he couldn't make the 45 minute trip to the store....and his last hunt included the instructions "here hold my beer and cigarette while I roll down my truck window"...

Dirt trash part of society !!!!!  

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text

23 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

No word back from Dick's administration yet....

You could file a complaint with law enforcement.  Dick's will have that entire situation on video to use as evidence for making an arrest.  I'll take a wild guess that local LE knows the family well.

• Like 4

There really is nothing disturbing about this, just another irate customer providing Christmas Season Shopping entertainment, as the crowd of onlookers proves.

As for the fact that this customer was briefly holding a gun I can not count the times I rounded a aisle in the Dick's where I go to find myself and at times when she's with me my daughter, staring into the barrel of a gun someone is looking/playing with. Do we find this disturbing, of course not, most times I/we completely ignore it, sometimes I'll even joke around with the "offending" customer. People, you're in a gun store dealing with the public, guns will be unsafely handled.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

There really is nothing disturbing about this, just another irate customer providing Christmas Season Shopping entertainment, as the crowd of onlookers proves.

As for the fact that this customer was briefly holding a gun I can not count the times I rounded a aisle in the Dick's where I go to find myself and at times when she's with me my daughter, staring into the barrel of a gun someone is looking/playing with. Do we find this disturbing, of course not, most times I/we completely ignore it, sometimes I'll even joke around with the "offending" customer. People, you're in a gun store dealing with the public, guns will be unsafely handled.   

I guess when idiotic, reckless and improper behavior is ignored, accepted or made light of it is no wonder societal values and morals decline ever downward.

Sad commentary to say the very least...........  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

It's more than that.  This woman came storming in with the rifle, a magazine and ammo.  Given the context of her behavior, I don't know how any reasonable person would view this as "entertainment" and not as a criminal threat.  

S 120.14 Menacing in the second degree.
  A person is guilty of menacing in the second degree when:
  1. He or she intentionally places or attempts to place another person
in reasonable fear of physical injury, serious physical injury or death
by displaying a deadly weapon, dangerous instrument or what appears to
be a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun or other firearm; or
  2. He or she repeatedly follows a person or engages in a course of
conduct or repeatedly commits acts over a period of time intentionally
placing or attempting to place another person in reasonable fear of
physical injury, serious physical injury or death;
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

Sometimes I think you post just to get attention. No...... actually I'm sure of it. There is no way that you could possibly think that gun safety has right places and wrong places to be practiced. If gun safety is not second nature and practiced as a trained-in behavior then obviously the hunter safety training didn't take. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of irresponsible gun handling for a second without strongly objecting. And then to be absolutely ok with a member of your own family having the muzzle of a gun waved in her face ..... well, what can be said about that? This is a store with both the guns and the ammo there in the same place. Why would any sane person think that that is a time or place to throw gun safety rules out the window. Sometimes I wonder why the gun accidents are not higher in number with some of the attitudes of contempt for safety that are out there.

And as for the first paragraph, what you are mistaking for "entertainment" is really morbid curiosity. These days, that isn't really all that brilliant a reaction when someone comes marching into a store waving a gun and shouting obscenities.

• Like 1

Here's what I don't get. Everybody keeps talking about how come the police weren't called or notified. The bigger question is is how come salmon didn't call the police himself?  You were standing right there the whole time and if you thought it was a safety issue why didn't you call the police? You were able to make a post about it on the hunting forum but if you were so concerned about safety why weren't you on the phone with the police immediately? Clearly you think Dick's Sporting Goods failed in their handling of the situation.  

52 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Here's what I don't get. Everybody keeps talking about how come the police weren't called or notified. The bigger question is is how come salmon didn't call the police himself?  You were standing right there the whole time and if you thought it was a safety issue why didn't you call the police? You were able to make a post about it on the hunting forum but if you were so concerned about safety why weren't you on the phone with the police immediately? Clearly you think Dick's Sporting Goods failed in their handling of the situation.  

Salmon_Run has already said that he didn't have his phone with him.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

His phone was in his car.