Deers shot during gun season:fields or hardwoods

turkeyfeathers

Deer shot during gun season: fields or hard woods ?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. So curious to the deer harvested this year were predominently shot in woods or field mode/food plots

• Hardwoods
    • Field mode/food plots

I don't have the luxury of "field mode" deer but see them everywhere on the way home in the fields. Same fields day(night) after day(night) Seems like it would be pretty easy to tag out .There is a field just off property line but I don't go there to try to intercept them as wind never blows in my favor to catch them going in there. As a matter of fact I don't even want to see deer in that field I can't hunt. So I hunt only hardwoods. Just curious to how many of you have the luxury

ok,first deer,a doe in the woods early archery.

2nd deer, a buck in the woods not too far from a field,about 50 yds,but he was walking away from field in the afternoon.

3rd deer,a doe,gun season in the middle of some big woods around here.

4th one, a buck under some oak trees and he was stuffing himself,that's what gave me a chance to get him.

All woods for me I guess,but there are two hayfields that the deer travel to in the early season. 

Hmmmmm..............Lets see here; buck and doe with the bow were shot in the pines, doe with rifle was woods, buck (in Pennsylvania) was shot on a narrow lane between a stand of pines and a stand of locust (I was in the middle of the field, in a old farm wagon) and the last deer, a buck in NY was shot in the woods also.

I do have places where I could hunt fields but rarely do as the too early/too late tendency slows me down as another night in jail turns me off. :)  

We took two bucks and a doe from the same stand on the edge of a 4 acre field surrounded by woods.

I sat in that stand on 11/19 from dark to dark and had does in the field the entire day. At one time there were 13 does bedded or milling around, all within 150 yds. I passed on three smaller eight pointers, two of which got taken by my daughter and son in law later in the week. Son in law took his buck from a different field walking in to the stand we all had luck from.

Our hardwoods stands had very low activity. Everyone that picked a hardwood stand that week saw few or none. 

The pic below is around 8:00am on the rifle opener. Hard to see them, but besides the little 8 following the doe around, there are 7 does bedded in the brushy patch in the middle.

IMG_4323.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

You didn't give the option of " front yard."

This year 1 in hardwoods, 1 in a field (  not a crop field ,and was pushed out of a thicket )

Historically , in gun season it's a mix, crop fields perhaps the first day, hardwoods , creek bottoms, and many in thick thick stuff.

i think a lot will depend on the area , where I hunt its small woods and thousands of acres of crops, someplace with lots of woods and a few small crop fields, those fields may be a gold mine .

image.jpeg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fletch said:

All 4 of our deer taken were woods. We do not have access to hunting areas with fields except state land. And deer pretty much only hit those at night. I shoulda married a farmers daughter!

I did , but like I said in another thread , in the long run it would have been cheaper just to buy the land . Oh she told all kinds of stories of going without water in the house because the cows needed it first, and how the uninsulated , upstairs bedrooms got snow drifts on the inside window sills .

Today, the gas fireplace will run all day and  a space heater is at her feet as she plays computer games and complains its to cold , and can I carry the wash downstairs because it's " to heavy ".....

Sorry to go,off track TF.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I did , but like I said in another thread , in the long run it would have been cheaper just to buy the land . Oh she told all kinds of stories of going without water in the house because the cows needed it first, and how the uninsulated , upstairs bedrooms got snow drifts on the inside window sills .

Today, the gas fireplace will run all day and  a space heater is at her feet as she plays computer games and complains its to cold , and can I carry the wash downstairs because it's " to heavy ".....

Sorry to go,off track TF.

You need to get some insulation blown into those walls!

Deer bed in thick
Deer feed on greens when it's warm and grains when it's cold and browse/mast as they pass it

Deer get killed in field by tv folks, gun hunters and lucky or smart bowhunters.
Scout more- wonder less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk