what do you do with your sheds?

rachunter

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Get the Amish to help you build the pole barn. :cheese:A lot in common.  You both side in shooting as many deer in any fashion possible. Sorry if any Amish folk were offended by reading this 

Stop by in your bunny suit to help out at the barn raising.  Probably no carrots, but free beer and venison for lunch.

• Like 2

I put in roughly 60-100 hrs every spring, I don't like to start until late February at the earliest, I found 22 last year, all on public land. You can walk for months and you won't find a shed where they aren't. Find concentrations of deer right now and you'll find sheds. I haven't started any projects yet, I'm still in the hoarding mode! I almost hate to alter them as they are trophies to me as they are...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I usually run over them with my brush hog and then find what is left of them on the next pass...

The Mermaid must be a natural...The one and only time in the last 10 years that she walked through my food plot, she found a left and a right   lying side by side, something that I have never done.

I use them to put hole sin my tires on the quads, i mean find them that way. lol Im starting to collect quite a few. Like to use the good ones as decorative pieces on end tables and shelves and such. I actually just found the match set to one of my slobs last night and i think im going to make a European Skull mount with it. 

They sell for a lot at places like Country Max for people to give to their dogs.  You folks that actually find them and don't care about collecting (or just keep the nice ones), should see if there is a market.  Its like $10 for an 8" piece of a shed.  FSW probably knows since he raises deer.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 4:51 PM, BigVal said:

How do you guys find  so many sheds that's crazy 

I was going to ask the same thing, you guys must live in the "shed valley". The miles I have spent on walks out of season over the years I found like 2 (except the dead deer with antlers). I guess I should expand my search to the bedding areas too. Wooly got some good ideas though.

• Like 2

I lost 2 in the woods, lol, I used them for rattling.  Lost the other one at hunting camp, was a good luck charm I passed around and never saw again.  I have a few others from friends I leave in the TV room, good conversation pieces.  Never really hunted for them looks like fun and another excuse to go into the woods.  Love the lamps Wooly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, TACC said:

Looks good, what are you using to Get such a great cut of the antlers

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Just a hacksaw blade. Cut the antlers on an angle for the long slices and it gives you a good spot to drill your ring hole for attaching it to a keychain, or necklace, or zipper pulls.. or whatever your making with them.

For the round buttons I cut straight across the antler.

• Like 1

I am a shed fanatic; thanks wooly!  I just can't get myself to cut them up. I'm just to attached to them, when they become unattached.  Their my best trophies. Learned a lot about where to find them too.  Looking to make plaques to mount them on so I can daydream about when I found them. One plaque going to have to be very long as I have shed antlers from one deer, five years straight, two sets.  The last being the largest I have ever found.  I am hoping for a sixth year; we'll see. 

I seen a shed antler chandelier in some restaurant one time. Maybe when the drywall starts to crack, and the studs pull out of the headers , I'll try making one of those. Not even close yet.

To me sheds are far cheaper to find than shooting one. I would then have to shell out hundreds of dollars  and a lot of labor to get on the wall.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

I'm really starting to get hooked on shed hunting ! Most years the ones I've found have just been when I as scouting new Stand spots. A few years ago I just went " shed hunting " as a means to,it's ,its own .

Last year I found idk 7 or 8 in about 15 hours of looking . If I don't find one each walk I'm kinda bummed . All dinks last year though .

All on my hunting ground I may expand to,parks and such this year .

• Like 2