Teachers' Favorite Words...

crappyice

SNOW DAY!

I know I am opening up myself up to all that crap about unions, tenure, retirement, summers off, yadda, yadda , yadda! However, teaching still offers that one opportunity to turn me back into the a school kid finding out we have been blessed with an unexpected day off!

Be saw out there if you are working tomorrow-I will be home (grading papers) but in my pjs at least!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

SNOW DAY!

I know I am opening up myself up to all that crap about unions, tenure, retirement, summers off, yadda, yadda , yadda! However, teaching still offers that one opportunity to turn me back into the a school kid finding out we have been blessed with an unexpected day off!

Be saw out there if you are working tomorrow-I will be home (grading papers) but in my pjs at least!

"Be saw out there" ? :taunt: You are getting a "D" for this ! :rofl:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

SNOW DAY!

Thank You for being an Teacher !!!

• Like 2

Many , many years ago , the Meteorologists had predicted a sever snow storm in the Rochester area that would cripple traffic in the area . Xerox chose to be safe and called for a snow day . Storm never happened and the snow day was a beautiful day . The company never did it again . 

Secondary Education (Math) was my original major in college. When the summer comes, I wish I was a teacher and could play golf or fish everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, too, wish I had the summers off to golf and fish.

The thought that a teacher (as the primary bread winner for the family) can take off the summer is ludicrous. For me to support a family of five (and maybe stupidly live in westchester) I NEED to teach, coach 2 seasons(quit football due to hunting and needing some summer break), tutor 3 hours a week, and run a summer camp. That's not counting all the little odds and ends jobs I pick up through the school year. For that I have a modest house, "happy" kids, and one real family vacation a year....if travel baseball and my daughter's NYC performances don't get in the way.

Ahhh the EASY STREET life of a teacher!

• Like 1

I, too, wish I had the summers off to golf and fish.

The thought that a teacher (as the primary bread winner for the family) can take off the summer is ludicrous. For me to support a family of five (and maybe stupidly live in westchester) I NEED to teach, coach 2 seasons(quit football due to hunting and needing some summer break), tutor 3 hours a week, and run a summer camp. That's not counting all the little odds and ends jobs I pick up through the school year. For that I have a modest house, "happy" kids, and one real family vacation a year....if travel baseball and my daughter's NYC performances don't get in the way.

Ahhh the EASY STREET life of a teacher!

I hear ya man. The $ is what ultimately steered me away from it, but i definitely respect what you guys do. I have several friends that are teachers and most of them coach several sports.

I am not bitching(too much). Wouldn't change anything - I don't think my ADD would allow me to do the same singular thing for my whole life. Hell with teaching I get a new crop of kids to deal with every 45 minutes and a whole new batch every year. Allows me to do lots of different interests

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, fasteddie said:

Many , many years ago , the Meteorologists had predicted a sever snow storm in the Rochester area that would cripple traffic in the area . Xerox chose to be safe and called for a snow day . Storm never happened and the snow day was a beautiful day . The company never did it again . 

1978 I think? I remember that exact same scenario. It really was a good day. We went fishing at Russel Station.

• Like 1

I remember that storm.....

About a week prior  we had a storm down here in the southern tier...Rather than go home early, I waited it out at my job at Corning Glass Works...I could not make it home that night in my 2WD pickup....I had to call a neighbor with his 4WD to get me home, and the next morning I was downtown in Addison shoveling out my truck on Main St...

SOOO, a week later, when the SUPERSTORM was predicted, I told my boss I was NOT coming in to work and suffer the same fate...

I sat home and watched all day as the sun shined, waiting for the IMMINENT storm to begin any minute...My boss never did let me live that one down.... The prick....

• Like 1

Everyone likes to make fun of WNY for snow but the only snow days my kids have had in 8 years of school were during Snowvember a couple years ago, and we didn't have snow. Teachers couldn't get in due to travel bans. My family in Boston and NJ have had so many snow days the past few winters they've had to extend the school year