First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

I am doing ok. I'm not shooting a lot of arrows each session but they are counting well. I always hate having to travel for work this time of year. Going 4-5 days without an arrow going down range makes it a little more challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Shot last weekend with my buddy and noticed I was hitting low on everything from 40 yards and out. Also lost the bubble level in my HHA sight and spent over an hour combing the lawn looking for it. Add in my cable slide making noise on the post and I said alright time for a trip to the bow shop. Stopped in there this morning after work and Jim at flying arrow spent over an hour with me getting my bow back in shape. New bubble on order and found my strings to be stretching out a bit which caused me to lose yardage once I get out to 40 and farther. He cranked on the limbs to compensate for the string stretch and that brought me back to dead center at 40 again. Should of took pics but I forgot. Can't thank Jim at Flying Arrow enough for the time he puts in on getting me all fixed up. Didn't charge me a dime either, truly great service. I told him this is the last season with this bow, next spring/summer I'll be back in for a new one. I was tempted to pick up a new Bowtech Reign 6 this morning but I need to save that money for my trip to Nebraska lol

• Like 2

On i wish I had taken a pic of tonight's groups.  Let's just say that i would have had to use the panoramic feature.  An elephant at 5yd s would have been safe.  And I couldn't shoot my way out of it.  I love trad shooting but when it goes bad it can be horrible.   Let's just hope my body readjusts after a day break.   Holy Smokes Was That Horrible!

lol I always laugh at 3D when my team turns a target into a table

• Like 1

Back on track tonight.  Did some form work and realized I was letting bow shoulder ride up and not really pulling through shot.   So I went to my micro shooting at 5yds.  Once I hit the 3 dots in a row with bare shafts (usually takes me a few tries to hit all 3), I then move back to 20.  Decent 3" or so group made me happy happy.   Going to stick with the micro shooting for a week or so. 

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I need to be for hunting from the ground.

Yes sir, practice as you will hunt! Most all my hunting is done from ground blinds, sitting on a milk crate. So most of my practice is done shooting from various positions, while sitting on a milk crate. Good shooting Biz. "You've come far pilgrim"!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 4:00 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Hha single pin, no scope. Long range bow shooting is a blast and it makes a 30yd shot a chip shot.

Again, very impressive. I would think the pin would cover most of the target at that range.

Anyone else get a case of target panic this close to the season. My shooting has been incredible(for me) up until a couple weeks ago. I started anticipating the shot and pulling arrows . I've been reading a ton about it lately and seems to happen to people when their accuracy plateaus and they search for the next level. I have some basic drills to practice during the week to retrain my thought process. Never had target panic in my life until this episode.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Anyone else get a case of target panic this close to the season. My shooting has been incredible(for me) up until a couple weeks ago. I started anticipating the shot and pulling arrows . I've been reading a ton about it lately and seems to happen to people when their accuracy plateaus and they search for the next level. I have some basic drills to practice during the week to retrain my thought process. Never had target panic in my life until this episode.

Go back to basics.  Shoot blank target and just concentrate on floating the pin and using proper form.  Try not to get so specific on shot  placement.  Within a few inches is a kill shot so don't concentrate on a perfect shot and float the pins over the target, let it float up down, left right before you shoot so you get use to seeing the pin going over the spot.  Are you using a back tension release or a trigger?  If using a trigger focus on using your back tension to  release the trigger vs punching it.  Back tension focus on form.  

I had it pretty bad at one point.  Shoot less with better form, 20 shots with perfection is better than 50 with 10 bad shots. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 4:08 PM, NFA-ADK said:

I was explaining how most archers from a stand miss high because they do not bend at the waist properly and this causes the peep to be mis-aligned.  My buddy who is a great shot and missed 2 deer at about 10-15 yards was like O that is why I keep missing them!  lmao

Like Jeremy K stated you need to get to full draw and line up your peep then bend at the waist!  Funny how so many do this wrong.  Shooting like you are in stand in practice is the only way to make sure you are good, thankfully at Suffolk Archers we have a couple of elevated shooting positions. 

I understand your point but don't totally agree with the reason for the shots going high. It isn't as much about peep alignment as it is a change in draw length. Or in the case of a hard back wall on a bow, pressure against the back wall. If you draw longer you are imparting more energy in the limbs. If you put pressure against a hard backwalled bow it also imparts more energy. both result in a high shot. I can't show this but can explain clearly enough that everyone can try it if we agree on the two previous points I made. 

Get a piece of string or rope. hold one end in your bow hand and put your release hand to your anchor point with the rope in the other hand and drawn tight. So it is laying like an arrow  with you in a drawn shootign position. Now lower you bow arm to simulate shootign at a deer on the ground and NOT bending at the waist, what happened to the rope? It needed to be longer to do this. 

Not bending at the waist for a shot adds more energy that you are sighted in for and makes you shoot high. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Let me make a suggestion. Next outing do not release an arrow. Not a one that outing. draw, come on target and everything just like you are going to shoot. aim.....hold.....and let the bow down. Do it again. do it as much as you would have on a practice session but NO releases.  Second outing do that a half dozen times and then try a release. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Let me make a suggestion. Next outing do not release an arrow. Not a one that outing. draw, come on target and everything just like you are going to shoot. aim.....hold.....and let the bow down. Do it again. do it as much as you would have on a practice session but NO releases.  Second outing do that a half dozen times and then try a release. 

That the first thing I'm going to do . I read an article that Levi Morgan did on beating target panic. It sucks because I can shoot a bunch of arrows flawless and every once in awhile it sneaks up on me . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

Go back to basics.  Shoot blank target and just concentrate on floating the pin and using proper form.  Try not to get so specific on shot  placement.  Within a few inches is a kill shot so don't concentrate on a perfect shot and float the pins over the target, let it float up down, left right before you shoot so you get use to seeing the pin going over the spot.  Are you using a back tension release or a trigger?  If using a trigger focus on using your back tension to  release the trigger vs punching it.  Back tension focus on form.  

I had it pretty bad at one point.  Shoot less with better form, 20 shots with perfection is better than 50 with 10 bad shots. 

I'm using a trigger release . I switched from the Scott which has a lot of trigger travel to a spot hog wise guy which has almost no travel. I thought the release was the fix until we shot league on Wednesday and it came back with a  vengence. 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm using a trigger release . I switched from the Scott which has a lot of trigger travel to a spot hog wise guy which has almost no travel. I thought the release was the fix until we shot league on Wednesday and it came back with a  vengence. 

Once you recondition you mind that being over the "spot" you are aiming at doesn't require a release I bet it disappears. I've seen guys slap that trigger like they are plucking a banjo and it is amazing how many have a hard time NOT hitting the trigger when over the spot. 

• Like 2

I went through a bad case of target panic this year, I got a hinge release and worked on form. I am shooting better than I ever have. One big change I have maid is limiting my shooting. I used to shoot for an hr a night I have went to shooting 3-10 arrows a day and never more than 1 arrow at a time. Making 1 perfect shot is more important than putting a group of 6 on the target.

• Like 4

I agree it's the first shot that counts, no warm up ,no walking the arrows in, no " hey most of my shoots were good". Just one kill shot or bad shot .

Shoot  one when you first get up, another as you head to work, one when you get home and so on .

Unless you're new and building up muscles and consistent form .

Ive shot 6 arrow so far this year , I'll step,it up soon, but I'm 100% confidant right now .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I agree it's the first shot that counts, no warm up ,no walking the arrows in, no " hey most of my shoots were good". Just one kill shot or bad shot .

Shoot  one when you first get up, another as you head to work, one when you get home and so on .

Unless you're new and building up muscles and consistent form .

Ive shot 6 arrow so far this year , I'll step,it up soon, but I'm 100% confidant right now .

Whoever you are - I have probably shot 10,000 arrows and still need work.  Lol Where is Larry?

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1