2017 rut predictions....

zeus1gdsm

Well that time has come and I'm trying to plan my rutcation.

Seeing predictions of:

Nov 16-22

October 22-28

And Nov 7-14.

Quite the spread...

The october one threw me. Found it here:

https://community.deergear.com/tips/data-driven-regional-rut-predictions-for-2017/

Interesting that northeast is predominantly late November except for new York with the october prediction.

What is everyone else thinking?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The peak time for us year after year, when bucks are on their feet, actively running the doe, crossing the roads, standing in the middle of a field, and doing the crazy rut things, is November 10th. Or three days on either side  of that date. It's easy to plan vacation. We pick the same week each and every year. 

• Like 8

Yeah, grampy hit the nail on the head, with maybe a little more variation in his +/- tolerance!!! IF..... all the planets are aligned properly, the weather cooperates, moon phase, blah, blah!!

The October prediction is always there every year, some early rutting activity of mainly younger bucks and only a few, sparsely located does going into estrus. The big boys typically wait for the easy pickings, more does in estrus in more locations! Not saying you won't see any BBs chasing in Oct, but unlikely if you're planning vacation time. At least where I hunt. I tend to see some BBs leisurely cruzin around, assuming they're taking inventory about the last week of Oct.

Edited by nyslowhand

All you need to do is go through the bow /gun harvest threads on here for the past few years. See the most harvests and biggest kills....It should also give you a general area of state locations on what usually happens.. That or the NY big buck forum.Not exactly sure what the name is...pics have kill dates and locations I believe. The DEChas all that info don't they compile the data for our  state "preditions"?

I’ll make it easy for you take your time off any time after Halloween. If that doesn’t work take the rest of your time off after New Year’s.

I just use the KISS princeable and just take all of November off.

Do yourself a favor and quit over analyzing this stuff

Halloween is a go to for me, usually an active day. Up to that point it's usually an active scouting/ hunting with few all day sits. Short of opener of course. Then I plan for the week of Veterans Day usually 6-15 is hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, grampy said:

The peak time for us year after year, when bucks are on their feet, actively running the doe, crossing the roads, standing in the middle of a field, and doing the crazy rut things, is November 10th. Or three days on either side  of that date. It's easy to plan vacation. We pick the same week each and every year. 

I see the same thing every year in Western NY.  It starts around November 5 and tapers off by November 12.   I don't think the weather affects it at all.  The best thing that has happened to NY state deer hunting in my lifetime is the legalization of the crossbow during that week.     

When I had my property in Steuben county the best observed day time activity was always from Nov 5-12 with the 7-10 being the peak. Since I sold that place and hunt primarily in Wayne county I have yet to get it figured out as reliably

I really don't much care when the rut is...I only want to know when the bucks start moving into our place and laying up in the swamps. That is where a record of trail cam pics comes into play. Also a record of dates when fights start happening. The only way to get that is to be out there. :wink:.

1 hour ago, growalot said:

I really don't much care when the rut is...I only want to know when the bucks start moving into our place and laying up in the swamps. That is where a record of trail cam pics comes into play. Also a record of dates when fights start happening. The only way to get that is to be out there. :wink:.

This ^^^. In my area, last Nov.11-15 was hot with activity.

No matter what the "rut" predictions are, id always go with around Nov. 5th - for the next 7 to 10 days... If vacation can be held off to see what the weather is like, id base it off the colder weather from there..  But for the last few years on good cold Mornings, Ive seen good mature buck Movement from Halloween on.. And my trail cams have proven more mid day big buck movement rather than early morning late afternoon during the rut..