Do you ride your atv to your stand or walk ?

rob-c

I don't have a far enough of a walk to ride to my stands. I could but it's level ground so walking is easy. If you run machines around enough it doesn't bother deer nearly as much as someplace that sees no traffic. During gun season I ride the quad a little more, bow season I try to keep the quad out of the woods. I'm looking into getting a lifted golf cart at some point. I would like to be a lot quieter as I ride around and check cameras and a golf cart is something I could ride to my farthest stands without making much noise at all.

I got up many times last season a and walked into my stand from the house in the dark and it seemed as the season went on I got started later and later and then Nov 6th I was running late and took the 4 wheeler up through the woods to the top of the hill and shut it off. Walked about 100 yds and climbed in the stand. It was 6:40am. At 6:45 a 4 pt buck came through and at 6:50 the one I shot and killed at 6:50.  

I do believe this: it really doesn't matter as much how early you get in your stand when the pre rut is on in early Nov and the bucks are moving all day chasing.  The does won't leave their home range and the bucks will be moving them around all day long. Just be in your stand all day and you will have opportunities.

When I take the ATV, it is just to get up the "killer" hill as quick as possible in the morning to avoid getting all sweated up. I park about 50 yards under the ridge of the hill and then walk up over the edge and then back on top of the hill to my stand. Stands vary from 2 or 3 hundred yards to about a quarter mile beyond where I park the ATV. The crest of the hill muffles the sound of the quad substantially.

Lol ..... We don't seem to have any flat ground that isn't almost hands and knees climbing. The hill killed the next door neighbor in his mid 50's, so it does get to be something that has to be considered at my age.

Does the ATV bother the deer? .... It depends on the individual deer. I have seen evidence of both reaction or no reaction. But if I am going to continue to hunt where I am, the ATV has to be part of my hunting equipment. The old legs don't do the job the way they used to.

• Like 1

I walk and prefer other hunters in the camp to walk. Go get the quad if you need to drag out a deer. Years ago at my brother in laws house we always rode the quads in. Coming back for breakfast on opening morning we aproached a field and the quads were on the other side. When we looked across there stood the biggest buck 10 feet from the quads. He was with two doe. We ended up killing that buck cause he ran with the doe when shot at. Thick woods were 20 feet away but the does ran across the field and he followed.

My ex father in law always takes his tractor up the hill to hunt cause he has a hard time with the hill a bit.  But he hasnt gotten a deer in 6 years.  I dont hunt the areas he hunts except maybe the last weekend of season.  I have yet to walk in there and not see deer most everytime.  Last year I walked in there last weekend of gun and in 20 minutes had one down.  A couple of years ago he was saying how there doesnt seem to be any deer.  I walked up in there and in the first hour saw three bucks and a doe and shot a 7 point. 

Now he doesnt do anything much with scent control so that might be it.  But deer still put together machinery and people and are gonna be wary whether or not they are "used" to machinery i would think.  Esp if your going in the dark of the morn with headlights.  I dont think they are used to that at all. 

if you can walk, then walk.  Its good exercise and gives you more time to glass or scout on the way in.  If you have problems walking then use the wheeler so you can get out to hunt for sure.  Ask the people who cant get around if they wish they could walk in instead of riding the wheeler and i bet they will say they wish they could. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

I got up many times last season a and walked into my stand from the house in the dark and it seemed as the season went on I got started later and later and then Nov 6th I was running late and took the 4 wheeler up through the woods to the top of the hill and shut it off. Walked about 100 yds and climbed in the stand. It was 6:40am. At 6:45 a 4 pt buck came through and at 6:50 the one I shot and killed at 6:50.  

I do believe this: it really doesn't matter as much how early you get in your stand when the pre rut is on in early Nov and the bucks are moving all day chasing.  The does won't leave their home range and the bucks will be moving them around all day long. Just be in your stand all day and you will have opportunities.

this isn't meant any other way but as a discussion. We really don't know how deer react, and everyone has different goals. But the intelligence of a 4 and a mature buck are very different.

I ride my quad right up to my stand park under it, as I have COPD both Knees replaced and a crushed ankle rebuilt so every time I go hunting I make sure I enjoy it to the fullest. I have shot many deer while doing this But this is also all open farm land and they see and hear quads almost on a daily bases. might not work as well on the mountains though understanding those deer have very little human contact and any noise sends them deeper into cover 

I use my Gator for trailer shuffling, landscaping/tree and yard work and I use my 40yr old frame to kill and drag deer.

The long uphill drag is one of the most bitter/sweet parts of hunting for me.  I love it cause I can always hear my grandfather in my head telling me to "take a break PJ" every 10 yards.

I gladly recover said grandfathers deer whenever I'm around, but I would also have no problem with the older guys or anyone for that matter using 4x's.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

I did some work in the woods at my SILs property yesterday . Tried to put up a Monster hang on stand and couldn't get the job done . I was whipped and at one point walking back to where I was parked , my FitBit registered 114 heart beat . When I hunt that woods , I am going to take the ATV . I didn't get to be 76 by being too stupid . :taunt:

• Like 2

As once spoken by a wise man, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Look we have not evolved all this way and created all this technology just to not  take advantage of it when it makes sense and can maybe extend our enjoyment of the outdoors in a safe and sane way. Yes, I do some rather over-strenuous exercise, and maybe a bit too frequently. And yes I do climb that killer-hill behind the house, maybe a bit too frequently, But I also have an ATV that does the bulk of the climbing these days. That modern-day convenience may just make me last a lot longer than our unfortunate neighbor who dropped dead 3/4 of the way up the hill. It makes sense to me.

We will use our quads on and off throughout the summer and it doesnt bother them much. Every deer is different and typically the bigger boys wont tolerate them. But as season nears i keep them to the field edges and do not go into the woods with them. As deer season opens, i only use them to either drag a deer out with. I made this mistake years ago when i got a new quad and rode it a lot before and during season, ... That deer season sucked! If you r not chasing more mature animals, and dont care what goes on your tag. Go ahead and ride. If pursuing a more mature animal.. Id stay of them.  My .02$

Though i have walked back to my quad after several sits years back, only to find a good buck with does within archery range of the quad parked on a trail. But i think the rut played into affect there.. 

On 8/31/2017 at 8:27 AM, rob-c said:

I am having a dilemma, all the years of hunting I have walked and only used the quad to drag deer out in the last 5-6 years ( bad back ). But this year setting up stands we noticed on our lease that we have been on 3 yrs now that the deer paid no attention to our quads. The farmer is on the property a bunch and the owner cuts trees and does some log skidding in the off season we spray the trails with a sprayer on the back of a quad also.so there is quit a bit of activity on the lease. So thinking about using the quad to drop my son and wife off at there stands then riding to mine and parking it 100 yards or so away from mine. Walking in we always see deer, so for those that have done both what's your opinion? I am leaning towards trying it to see .

If you stop they will get nervous and usually take off. Once we parked the quad in the middle of the field where deer sometimes walk through to try and push them towards the edges where we have stands and it worked but they ran around the edges of the field past it and us.

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

.........Though i have walked back to my quad after several sits years back, only to find a good buck with does within archery range of the quad parked on a trail. But i think the rut played into affect there.. 

I always park the ATV just under the ridge of the hill to contain the noise a bit and then walk 100yards or so up to the edge of the hilltop and then walk back on the relatively flat land. I have to say that I too have found all kinds of deer hanging around the vicinity of my parked ATV. I have no theories explaining why, but it is almost as though they are attracted by it. That sounds goofy, but it has happened often enough that I have to think there may be some sort of attraction.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:25 AM, Doc said:

I always park the ATV just under the ridge of the hill to contain the noise a bit and then walk 100yards or so up to the edge of the hilltop and then walk back on the relatively flat land. I have to say that I too have found all kinds of deer hanging around the vicinity of my parked ATV. I have no theories explaining why, but it is almost as though they are attracted by it. That sounds goofy, but it has happened often enough that I have to think there may be some sort of attraction.

I agree, I think as long as they dont see someone get off it that they can relate to "danger" .. They see it as a farm equipment. And check it out somewhat. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 11:25 AM, Doc said:

On 9/18/2017 at 9:38 AM, chas0218 said:

If you stop they will get nervous and usually take off. Once we parked the quad in the middle of the field where deer sometimes walk through to try and push them towards the edges where we have stands and it worked but they ran around the edges of the field past it and us.

Might be those empty corn bags stuffed under the seat!! haha just kidding guys, but I do remember someone posting a picture of his truck filled with corn and deer were all around it right in his driveway.

• Like 1

The first September i was legal to archery hunt, about 16 years ago. We were riding the quad up one of the dug roads where my father and his buddy wanted to hang a stand for me to solely sit. On the way there, The buck we called "Bullwinkle" let us drive up to and stop within 40 yards of and just gaze at him. He didnt give a crap, never ran or looked spooke done bit, put his head back into the shrubs and carried on, after several minutes he slowly began his trek up the hill. He let us do this two separate times that month and it didn't bother him a bit. 3 of us on a quad, whispering, we stayed on and never got off. and he again carried on..  

The first week of November that year we were on the top of the hill in my dads truck as daylight began to break (Late start) he was dropping us off at each of our spots. I got out for my drop off and the truck left, i turned to my right and he stood there at no more than 10 yards just staring at me. lol i damn near shat myself. he didnt stick around after that. He must have thought it was just a farm truck, until it stopped in front of him for a few seconds and left, and there i was. He was the biggest buck I have ever layed eyes on and ive seen some dandy head gear.. 

I really think most all animals relate these things to some sort of farm equipment(in farmed areas anyways) and dont mind them much. Unless they had a bad encounter or been chased or something... until then i think they let them be.

Again my quad stays in the barn unless needed, i wont chance alerting or bumping a good buck