Who all hunts with a handgun ?

rob-c

13 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

The new plastics are way better we just got them here in catt co

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not if I gotta cram three cards in my wallet . There are six slots in my Saddle Back wallet , five are filled now . My paper  one takes up no room behind the slots .A one piece plastic permit with perhaps a magnetic strip , I'd be all for ,it .j

I have plastic permits from other states, love 'em, one card . Not going to carry three from NYS though . I don't care if my paper one goes through the wash ( it has ) is worn or unreadable .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Honest question.  What is the reason you want to carry a pistol for hunting?  I don't own one.  I'm cool with the idea, I'm just trying to understand the appeal.  

I have been a bow hunter for many many years. and gun hunting a bit longer than archery. but it got to the point that even using the slug gun before we could use rifles was just getting to easy for me. i like the challenge and really like the ease of carrying the revolver in our bandolier holsters. now don't think all hand guns are  close range only, I can hold a 4 inch group with my 44 out to 100 yards... 

Would you think a 45 Springfield Arms 1911 Range Officer would be a good one for tree stand use inside 20 yards?

No, it will kill'em but getting an exit is very unlikely and from a tree stand your entrance will be high and will likely get very little blood. Handguns tend to kill from blood loss and if they ain't leaking blood on the ground it makes it tough to find them. I won't Cary a pistol bullet that won't exit a broadside deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Honest question.  What is the reason you want to carry a pistol for hunting?  I don't own one.  I'm cool with the idea, I'm just trying to understand the appeal.  

lighter and easier to carry running hounds, on horseback, or in a raft or boat

And like longbows and flinters  handguns are just plain fun to shoot

• Like 2

I'm lost on these comments "finished a few'.  In my world "finishing " something with a gun means killing it.

are all of you using the Finishing term in a new way?

or are that many of you saying you shot a deer, bear, bison, whatever, with a highpowered rifle or shotgun,  and hit it so badly that it was a non lethal shot and you, for whatever reason, did not follow up with a second shot but instead yanked out a handgun to shoot it again?

I'm completely lost.

I dropped a trotting buck from my climber on opening day a few years ago, he was out in a brushlot and at the shot (30-06) he disappeared. I kept hearing leaves rustling every few minutes and I figured it was more deer moving around so I stayed put. Well after 10-15 minutes I started to get suspicious, I climbed down and picked my way through the briars and there he was looking at me while trying to get up on his two front legs. I used my 357 to "finish him." I saw no point in shooting him from 8 ft away with my 06 so I used my revolver. Upon inspection, I hit that nerve bundle behind the shoulder (a few inches higher than mid height) but for whatever reason that deer did not die right away. The two bullet holes were only 1" apart and that second shot killed him in a few seconds. You can see the two holes in the picture I have somewhere. I use the term "finished" to describe delivering the final blow to an already mortally wounded animal.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, slickrockpack said:

I'm lost on these comments "finished a few'.  In my world "finishing " something with a gun means killing it.

are all of you using the Finishing term in a new way?

or are that many of you saying you shot a deer, bear, bison, whatever, with a highpowered rifle or shotgun,  and hit it so badly that it was a non lethal shot and you, for whatever reason, did not follow up with a second shot but instead yanked out a handgun to shoot it again?

I'm completely lost.

It doesnt sound like your lost, I think you answered your own question.

Not if I gotta cram three cards in my wallet . There are six slots in my Saddle Back wallet , five are filled now . My paper  one takes up no room behind the slots .A one piece plastic permit with perhaps a magnetic strip , I'd be all for ,it .j
I have plastic permits from other states, love 'em, one card . Not going to carry three from NYS though . I don't care if my paper one goes through the wash ( it has ) is worn or unreadable .

You'll be getting o e as soon as you renew in 2018

I was going to unveil my newly acquired DW 357 from last winter, but just bought myself a bday gift. Its older brother in 44. Not sure which one now...20170831_162251.jpg
That's a beauty, that will never be produced again, I have a 357 and a 44 stainless set with all barrels available. They are priceless!

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 8:45 PM, stubborn1VT said:

I used to do a lot of deer hunting literally crawling through very dense thickets of scrub apple; wearing waders in swamps where having both hands free is actually necessary for survival; and numerous other situations where long-guns just don't work. I'll take a rifle shot any day, but there was a time when I liked to meet them face-to-face on their own turf at just a few feet, and a handgun was the only real option under those conditions.

• Like 2

It's a challenge, it's fun. It's another aspect of hunting that you have to "earn" it takes a lot of time on the range to become a proficient handgun shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Back when I first got my permit I went handgun hunting nuts and for a period used only a handgun for everything I hunted except for birds.I bought and tried a bunch of handguns, settled for the most part using a 6 1/2 inch S&W model 29 44 mag and a 6 inch Colt Python for Deer hunting, for small game I used the Python some but mostly a Colt Woodsman 22 autoloader and a S&W model 17 22. I took several deer with the big revolvers and a ton of small game with the 22s mostly Rabbits Chucks and Coons. As I got older and my eyes started going down hill I went back to long guns for most hunting but still play around with a couple of handguns now and then. What I am using these days is a Desert Eagle in 44 mag with a hard chrome finish and I still have my old S&W 17 22 which is my favorite, I used it one year for bullseye target shooting, it has been the handgun I have used most and it has taken a lot of small game.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2