Mid 80's this weekend!!! UGH!!

Iluvracks1359

So, I have been seeing some great movement on my cameras over the past few weeks, and I really credit that to the mild weather we have been having. They are forecasting mid - high 80,s this weekend and into the middle of next week, at that point we are ONE WEEK from opening day. Is this a reason for concern as far as opening day goes? I'm praying for the mild weather to come back by the first... heres to hopin!

I luv racks too!  IMO, The single most determining factor on deer movement is weather.  Nothing worse than warm temperatures as deer do not have the capability of sweating.  They literally will overheat.  As far as opening day, hope for a drop in temps 10-20 degrees, that kind of drop in temps should put them in their feet.

I put off moving a stand on Sunday hoping this upcoming weekend when I have the whole weekend off would be cooler. So much for that. And on top of that, my wife made me take the big AC out 2 weeks ago when it was getting down into the 40s at night. Guess who tried to tell her we would probably get another heat spell before October and we should just leave it until then, but nooooo it's gotta go. My revenge will be the possibility of going to my buddies camp on lake Champlain instead of sweating all day around the house.

• Like 2

have an adirondack trip this weekend and forecast is for 85!  we were planning on bear hunting .......so much for that.  Looks like bass fishing instead.  Good thing I planned a spot with some great fishing.  Last year there was little spots of ice, this year the bass will prob be hitting topwater!  hope it cools down.  If its 80's on Oct 1st, i will be drifting for walleyes instead of hunting. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

summer and fall deer movement patterns are completely different. Your point is completely invalid

People are shooting nice bucks right now in CT. It's 80+ degrees. 9/19 or 10/1 is not a huge difference. I'm not talking about 90 degrees in Mid-November.

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

People are shooting nice bucks right now in CT. It's 80+ degrees. 9/19 or 10/1 is not a huge difference. I'm not talking about 90 degrees in Mid-November.

Right now my deer are losing summer coats and putting on winter coats. I see a significant drop off in movement in the deer on hot days when they have their winter coats. Not saying they do not move but it is a lot less. If you go south or coastal the deer stay in summer coats longer thus not affecting movement as much. That would apply to CT right now.

Edited by Fletch

17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Right now my deer are losing summer coats and putting on winter coats. I see a significant drop off in movement in the deer on hot days when they have their winter coats. Not saying they do not move but it is a lot less. If you go south or coastal the deer stay in summer coats longer thus not affecting movement as much. That would apply to CT right now.

Well CT is < 10 miles from me, so I guess it applies here as well. I'm heading in this weekend to do final inventory check on cams, I expect to see bucks moving during daylight these last few weeks.

Yeah, and the archery opener is just 10 days away. Imagine arriving at your stand wringing wet from sweat, trying to swat mosquitos away without looking like a signal flagman waving his arms around. If this weather persists, I may voluntarily delay my opener.

I know, guys down south hunt this kind of weather all the time. But there are some aesthetics to the sport that have to be met for me to enjoy the hunt. And sweat and bugs are not really a part of that. I don't even like 70 degrees....lol. How fast does venison go bad in this kind of weather if you have to take hours blood-trailing your deer (or maybe even overnight).

I remember mentioning all that when we struggled and won the additional two weeks of season. Perhaps it is a case of thanks for nothing!

Well idk about the rest of ya, but my Wunderground weather app is showing me a pretty good temp drop going into opening weekend. Looks like maybe some rain as well. Seeing the temps dropping for next weekend sure is lifting my spirits. Sure do hate hot weather anytime of year let alone fall. Bring on those 30-40 degree days!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Well idk about the rest of ya, but my Wunderground weather app is showing me a pretty good temp drop going into opening weekend. Looks like maybe some rain as well. Seeing the temps dropping for next weekend sure is lifting my spirits. Sure do hate hot weather anytime of year let alone fall. Bring on those 30-40 degree days!

Same. My phone says 84 this Sunday, but for 10/1 is shows low of 46 and high of 66.