How main trail cams is too much

Chef

So I went and bought another trail cam today, not really sure why I did it. I was bored and waking around dicks saw the cam and bought it. I mean I guess I know why I did, I was walking around camp last weekend saw a heavily used trail I have never seen before and wanted to see what was using it. I thought about which cam I could move and decided I didn't want to move any of them. So I guess today when I saw the cam I just had to have it. So any way I was just sitting here and decided to count, and realized I have 10 cams on about 40 acres. Someone please tell me I'm not crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have two out on 80 or so acres of woods sourounded by miles of crops .It's fun and all but frankly my stands are in good spots the cams don't  really aid me at all .

When the ruts kicks in , I'm in the right spots for all the wondering bucks that never showed up on cams .

• Like 3

Yeah, I got close to getting the local Big Boy once on 40 acres. Took 4/5 cams and 3 seasons. He busted me, in the dark at 30 yards. At a certain point Deer develop heat vision I believe 

That's what it is I know the areas that he uses, just trying to get a pattern as to why and when. I actually have cameras that are less then 20
Yard from eachother in some places.

i run about 14 cameras but they are spread out on about 400 acres or so.  I am a sucker for trail cameras on sale.  

Wish i could say that these cameras have consistently helped me kill the bucks i "target", but it isn't often the case.  For me they are almost like another form of hunting, especially here in ny where you cannot set them in front of a pile of corn. I use them pre-season to "hunt" for some bucks i might be hunting during the season.  I use them during the season to see how the deer are using the property, and then after the season to " hunt" for survivors.  Can't bring myself to erase pics of mature bucks from years past.  Guess im addicted to the fun i find in strategically placing camers to intercept deer on film, even though pure luck may  play a lot more into than id wish.  

i seem to use trail cameras as a way of hunting before season!  they are fun and i put them in areas actually away from my stand and leave them for at least 3 weeks at a time.  I just want to see what might be out there.  I know i have stands near areas used by deer a lot and dont want to keep going in there and bump them.  But i like to see whats out theere and seeing a big one helps keep my inn the stand longer! 

During season i will move them closer to stand and that way can check them when i am already going in and out to hunt.  

I have 5 cams and that seems about right.  I hunt 4 different properties, 2 are real small so only need one cam there.  usually have 2 out on a 60 acre spot and then me and a buddy share 120 acres and we usually use 3 together there.  

There is no blanket answer.

We run a lot but we generally pick up the bucks we shoot and typically a few transients or bucks on the peripheral that show up 2-3x a season.

Cams are not foolproof but they help with info as long as you use it properly. Not many ways to collect info 24/7 otherwise.