Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Not live weight as he stated. 

Congrats on the kill Wolc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that is a donkey, live too. Dude is notorious for some exaggerations.

Not the place, like I said congrats. But get a hanging scale for $30 and we will stop giving you a hard time

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

No that is a donkey, live too. Dude is notorious for some exaggerations.

Not the place, like I said congrats. But get a hanging scale for $30 and we will stop giving you a hard time emoji854.png

$30 won't buy an honest scale.  I prefer spending my money on bullets or giving it away to the poor.

11 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Passed on a doe with fawns. Apparently the neighbors have them all named.... Ah well, plenty of time left to fill some tags

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You can name them too ,tacos ,roast ,stew,steaks,jerky etc etc.

• Like 8

Back home, and feel fantastic, though a little sore!  Saw two doe with a fawn each. And a year old, small six point,  who will hopefully live to be a two year old eight point next year. The fresh air and sunset was spectacular!  Best hunt in a very long time for me. Sleep will come easy tonight. 

• Like 26

Gun season was not going so well for me, up until this afternoon.   My buddy from work wounded a 4-point, just after sunrise on opening day and we spent about 2 hours of "prime time" looking for it.  I went back after dark and spent another couple hours with the "bloodglow" looking more with no success.   He had dropped it with a single shot, then texted me that it was down, but crawling away.   I wish he would have used another shot or two, because the buck got back on its feet and escaped.  I suspect he hit it above the spine, which temporarily parallized the back legs. The only live deer I saw, up until yesterday, were a couple of unidentified tails and buts well out of range.
Yesterday a 1-1/2 year 6 point offered me a 40 yard shot over at my folk's place at 7:35 in the morning, which I did not take for three reasons:  First, he was 10 yards onto the neighbors land and I was not sure he would appreciate it.  Second, the shot would have been thru some thin brush which may have deflected my 16 ga foster slug, dropping the percent chance of a clean kill to just about 90 %.   Third, I would not mind saving my buck tag for a shot at a bigger one. 
I was having second thoughts on my decision to skip this morning's hunt and take the family to church instead, as I laid in bed next to my wife and heard a shot ring out next-door at 7:35.   After church, I got up a treestand that is on the back edge of a 5-acre woodlot at the back of our farm.  At 2:30 pm, I heard something that sounded a little larger than a squirrel, and noted a deer approaching on the other side of a deep ditch.  She was moving at a fast trot, and I led her enough to fell her, with a shot to the neck, when she reached an opening.   I left the guts in to drag her thru the water and my rope broke as I tried to pull her up the steep bank.   I am guessing she weighed about 150 on the hoof.  She is gutted and hanging in the garage, bleeding out now.  
I will check her chest girth to get a more accurate weight estimate prior to skinning her, and post that with a picture in the harvest thread.  The Lord was very good to us today, in providing plenty of venison to last until next year, so the last thing I want to do is weigh her on a "dishonest scale".  I guess going to church this morning paid off. They are calling for temps in the 50's tomorrow and Tuesday, so it will be in the deer fridge for her.   After a week in there, she should be perfect for processing.  

Serious?? Guess God did not send you those 2-3 Button Babies you need to get the family thru? Remember it takes 2-4 deer a year to get the family thru the tough winter. Guess after church on Sunday you will have to hit up the food pantry. You really need to remember your old post's before you put up new wacked out one's up!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Back home, and feel fantastic, though a little sore!  Saw two doe with a fawn each. And a year old, small six point,  who will hopefully live to be a two year old eight point next year. The fresh air and sunset was spectacular!  Best hunt in a very long time for me. Sleep will come easy tonight. 

Glad you could get out.  Seeing deer is such a bonus.  Hope you heal quickly.  Fresh air should help!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Serious?? Guess God did not send you those 2-3 Button Babies you need to get the family thru? Remember it takes 2-4 deer a year to get the family thru the tough winter. Guess after church on Sunday you will have to hit up the food pantry. You really need to remember your old post's before you put up new wacked out one's up!

Thank you for bringing up God again.  We just can't get enough of Him on a hunting website.  After all, it is He who determines the fate of all living things.   I am very thankful that He blessed us with that fat doe today.   A smaller button buck would have been nice though , considering the drag across that ditch and the broken rope and wet foot I suffered.   I still have three 9F DMP tags, and an either or ML/bow tag, so it ain't over yet.  I will be gunning for one (or four) thru about ten additional hunts that I have planned thru the end of ML.   After today's church-day good fortune, I may just skip another of those planned Sunday morning hunts.   

p.s, The 2-4 estimate was based on 50 pounds from an average-sized deer.  We went into this season with 75 pounds of vacuum-sealed venison left over in the freezer from  last year (including a few choice button buck roasts that I am saving for special occasions).  The Big buck (your kind of BB) I killed during crossbow this year yielded about 100 pounds.   60 pounds from today's doe puts us about 35 pounds in the black.   Any more (except button bucks) will be go to my brother in law, who makes the best jerky I have ever had, or to the hunters feeding the hungry program.  As long as the freezer don't quit, we should not starve.   I am very thankful to have discovered the secret for living a subsistance lifestyle like we do.   It beats the heck out of raising beef, or getting your food from pricey food joints.       

edit: I forgot that my gun buck tag also reverts to an either/or tag so (5) of my kind of BB's is possible yet this season.    I am not sure how many "fatted calves" I deserve but one would sure be nice this year.    I will continue to target the largest antlerless deer first though, because feeding the hungry is more important than feeding me like a king.        

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, borntohunt10820 said:

Saw 6 deer run by me at 1030 this morning , chased by the neighbors blue tick. I fired off a nasty text telling him that his dog won't be coming home ,if it happens again. He apologized and thanked me for not shooting him. End of story.

for your sake you better hope nobody else shoots that dog and walks away leaving it for the neighbor to find as I would suspect that your door will be the first one the authorities knock on seeing as he now has a threatening text from you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Wolc. Your buck yielded 100 pounds of edible meat ? :rolleyes:

I would say it did, based on how much ended up in the butcher trays that I used, and what the PA game commission chart indicated for that chest girth.   I initially thought it would only yield about 80 pounds.  It appeared to have a lot of fat on it, based on what came out of the cavity while gutting and the looks of the rump.  As it turned out though, there was very little fat to trim.  It was very solid with about 2" of lean meat covering the outside of the ribs (that probably explains the high chest girth measurement).   Usually, I don't get much useable meat from the sides the rig-cage.   Using the arrow instead of the bullet also results in a lot less bloody meat being wasted.      

• Like 1

I would say it did, based on how much ended up in the butcher trays that I used, and what the PA game commission chart indicated for that chest girth.   I initially thought it would only yield about 80 pounds.  It appeared to have a lot of fat on it, based on what came out of the cavity while gutting and the looks of the rump.  As it turned out though, there was very little fat to trim.  It was very solid with about 2" of lean meat covering the outside of the ribs (that probably explains the high chest girth measurement).   Usually, I don't get much useable meat from the sides the rig-cage.   Using the arrow instead of the bullet also results in a lot less bloody meat being wasted.      
Hmm. I've never seen 100# of usable meat come off any deer I have ever butchered. I'm not gonna blast you, or get all worked up about your "guess" as to what things weigh. Unless you throw in fat and bones and maybe a couple legs, your way off. Now, the only reason I say this is because I use an accurate scale to weigh the dressed deer. I also have a very precise scale used to measure the cuts as they come off. To me, you really can't put a number on weight without a scale. I'd say use terms like "alot" or "a ton" instead of using the pa game commissions measuring scale. Besides, your shooting NY deer so that scale won't work. Just sayin

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 4