My WNY Bow Hunt Trip!

grampy

On 10/26/2017 at 11:41 AM, moog5050 said:

Just throwing it out there, but if there any other members close by that want to grab a later dinner after Saturdays hunt to meet Grampy, PM me.

Sounds like fun I'd love to meet up with all ya since I'm close by and I think you hunt out my way but I'm jammed packed with stuff tomorrow, good luck guys.

• Like 1

Wtf. I was expecting “Grampy” to be like some 75-80 year old man. Guy looks like he’s 58. Don’t feel sorry for the guy and give him anything easy. Put him in a stand that requires a 3 mike walk haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wtf. I was expecting “Grampy” to be like some 75-80 year old man. Guy looks like he’s 58. Don’t feel sorry for the guy and give him anything easy. Put him in a stand that requires a 3 mike walk haha

Yep.  Young Grampy for sure! 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 2:59 PM, moog5050 said:

I live in Webster, but we hunt properties mostly south and west of Rochester.  I know that there are monsters in Webster every year.  Access can be tough.  Sounds like you have a great spot.

I came damn close to buying some property within spitting distance of the thousand acres swamp this year near jackson and plank. Didn't pan out unfortunately. I bet the properties that back up to thousand acres make for some good hunting. Part of that area is 8C (bow only). My spot this year is in Medina. It's got lots of deer but it is a touch over an hour drive for me here in the eastern suburbs. The drive is worth it, though.

Have fun y'all!

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Got here and moog picked me up to take a walk around the area we will be hunting. Wow is there a ton of fresh buck sign!  Scrape after scrape and all within the last day or so with not a leaf in them. Some were clearly only hours old. Should be a great day to be in the woods, weather we get a deer or not! Moog has been the most gracious host. And has a beautiful family!  I was treated to a top notch steak dinner,  cooked by his lovely wife Ana. We all had great conversation and I  felt very at home and welcome. And a great time talking fishing with Joel, what a great kid! Just tonight, was well worth the trip! Moog is good people.  So happy to finally meet up with him. Everything has been awesome so far. The icing on the cake would be to have one of the guys, get one of those beautiful bucks roaming this awesome property.  Better get to bed. Got a big day tomorrow.  Thanks Brian! Oh yeah....he's cooking us breakfast in the morning too. I feel like one of those fansy dancy TV hunters.....lol will do live from the stand in the morning. Best of luck to all heading out!

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Who typing up the story- let’s hear it!

Grampy was sitting over an area we call the bowl.  Sitting on the ridge but not really hunting the bowl area or so we thought.  He was on the ground below a stand we use. As i was picking him from his stand for breakfast, he looks at me and quietly whispers buck down in the bowl.   I got down on the ground and he carefully eased up and creeped over the rigid towards the bowl.  Never detected by the buck, I watched a 10 min battle with the buck moving closer to Grampy and Grampy finding a position to shoot him.  Buck closed from 75ish to 40ish.  Moved away and came back but never offered Grampy the shot he wanted. It was very cool watching the whole thing unfold lying on the ground 10yds behind him.  Grampy was cool as a cucumber.  Almost got him. 

• Like 17

Grampy was sitting over an area we call the bowl.  Sitting on the ridge but not really hunting the bowl area or so we thought.  He was on the ground below a stand we use. As i was picking him from his stand for breakfast, he looks at me and quietly whispers buck down in the bowl.   I got down on the ground and he carefully eased up and creeped over the rigid towards the bowl.  Never detected by the buck, I watched a 10 min battle with the buck moving closer to Grampy and Grampy finding a position to shoot him.  Buck closed from 75ish to 40ish.  Moved away and came back but never offered Grampy the shot he wanted. It was very cool watching the whole thing unfold lying on the ground 10yds behind him.  Grampy was cool as a cucumber.  Almost got him. 

Nice! Was is it one of the big daddy’s?

It was the most exiting hunt I've had in a while! Was up in a ladder stand called the bowl stand by moog and the guys. Was in and settled well before light. After having a breakfast fit for a king at moogs house! Was in the stand for a while and caught movement to my right and slightly above. Three doe moving through until they caught my scent and scittered away after some head bobing and foot stomps. Maybe half hour later with no more deer seen, decided to come down to pee. I am most comfortable on the ground, hunting at the deers level.  So just set up behind the ladder stand on the ground, after nipping a couple branches. Had a real good view of a well used trail, loaded with fresh scrapes at just a few yards in front, and could see up and down the trail a good ways. And still had a good view of the bowl and wooded hillside over my shoulders. But pretty thick with blowdowns and brush too. So got the message from moog he's coming to pick me up, there's something going on over by phade. So as moog gets almost to me, I glance over my left shoulder to the bowl, and a 110 class 8 point is walking in it 50 yards away! Moog couldn't see him at first. But I figured I  may as well try to position myself for a shot if he changed course . Well he did! He was heading my way but I had no shot! I think he caught me moving a half step to the left looking for an opening at 30 yards. So had to freeze and the stare down began. Then when he moved so did I.  So we played the zig zag game for a bit until he was out of range for me, and up the ridge he went. But I will admit my heart was pounding! What an awesome hunt! And a beautiful buck! One I'll never forget! Sometimes it's ok when the deer win the battle.

• Like 24

It was the most exiting hunt I've had in a while! Was up in a ladder stand called the bowl stand by moog and the guys. Was in and settled well before light. After having a breakfast fit for a king at moogs house! Was in the stand for a while and caught movement to my right and slightly above. Three doe moving through until they caught my scent and scittered away after some head bobing and foot stomps. Maybe half hour later with no more deer seen, decided to come down to pee. I am most comfortable on the ground, hunting at the deers level.  So just set up behind the ladder stand on the ground, after nipping a couple branches. Had a real good view of a well used trail, loaded with fresh scrapes at just a few yards in front, and could see up and down the trail a good ways. And still had a good view of the bowl and wooded hillside over my shoulders. But pretty thick with blowdowns and brush too. So got the message from moog he's coming to pick me up, there's something going on over by phade. So as moog gets almost to me, I glance over my left shoulder to the bowl, and a 110 class 8 point is walking in it 50 yards away! Moog couldn't see him at first. But I figured I  may as well try to position myself for a shot if he changed course . Well he did! He was heading my way but I had no shot! I think he caught me moving a half step to the left looking for an opening at 30 yards. So had to freeze and the stare down began. Then when he moved so did I.  So we played the zig zag game for a bit until he was out of range for me, and up the ridge he went. But I will admit my heart was pounding! What an awesome hunt! And a beautiful buck! One I'll never forget! Sometimes it's ok when the deer win the battle.

Sounds awesome. Nothing more exciting than hunting from the ground.