Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have hunted lots of Public land in the years I have hunted. I see the instances that get reported as well. I still stick to the fact that it isn't all that bad out there. heck you listen to some of you guys you would think people are gettign mowed down in every public parcel and no one should ever hunt them. Statistically I don't believe it can be  supported. 

never said it was all bad. Just that gun hunters are statistically more careless deer hunters. I will repeat, that does not mean all gun hunters are, nor that bowhunters are exempt. So new "gun only hunters" to the archery woods does bring on a different breed of hunter to the season. 

As a big QDM guy, I'm a little surprised that you're so nonchalant about what others do. I am an advocate for happiness and hunting how you want to hunt. But I also agree with education on proper hunting tactics, selective deer harvesting, scent control, not pounding the piss outta the woods etc. To get any deer, let alone with size within 30 is no easy task. The big boys cannot take pressure and go nocturnal quick.

I bet 95% of us hunt property sizes less than 100 acres and this means we deal with neighbors. You may not agree, but do you not see how added pressure from uneducated crossbow hunters (this is assuming they are currently gun only) does not affect us?  This is the question i get asked and i try and answer. "how does it affect you, why do you care". And this is my response that nobody seems to be able to properly dispute. There is nothing illegal or unethical about the crossbow hunter, but it is why I am not a proponent of full inclusion. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

You may not agree, but do you not see how added pressure from uneducated crossbow hunters (this is assuming they are currently gun only) does not affect us?  This is the question i get asked and i try and answer. "how does it affect you, why do you care". And this is my response that nobody seems to be able to properly dispute. There is nothing illegal or unethical about the crossbow hunter, but it is why I am not a proponent of full inclusion. 

So if the terrible hunters that don't hunt exactly the way you do are neighbors wouldn't that drive all the pressured deer onto your pristine property?

Seems like a lot of folks are afraid of the boogie man.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

So if the terrible hunters that don't hunt exactly the way you do are neighbors wouldn't that drive all the pressured deer onto your pristine property?

Seems like a lot of folks are afraid of the boogie man.

no. bucks will still move. but they move at night. don't be silly.

never said it was all bad. Just that gun hunters are statistically more careless deer hunters. I will repeat, that does not mean all gun hunters are, nor that bowhunters are exempt. So new "gun only hunters" to the archery woods does bring on a different breed of hunter to the season. 
As a big QDM guy, I'm a little surprised that you're so nonchalant about what others do. I am an advocate for happiness and hunting how you want to hunt. But I also agree with education on proper hunting tactics, selective deer harvesting, scent control, not pounding the piss outta the woods etc. To get any deer, let alone with size within 30 is no easy task. The big boys cannot take pressure and go nocturnal quick.
I bet 95% of us hunt property sizes less than 100 acres and this means we deal with neighbors. You may not agree, but do you not see how added pressure from uneducated crossbow hunters (this is assuming they are currently gun only) does not affect us?  This is the question i get asked and i try and answer. "how does it affect you, why do you care". And this is my response that nobody seems to be able to properly dispute. There is nothing illegal or unethical about the crossbow hunter, but it is why I am not a proponent of full inclusion. 

I am for almost everything you list. I push it and hope it does sink in. Not going to mandate though. I also understand the pressure concerns. I do however disagree with the anticipated increase. Let’s look at you billy bob redneck who doesn’t currently bow hunt that everyone is concerned about ruining the woods. All I his talk of 100 yard shots in a hunting situation is bull. We all know target shooting I gotta and hunting is much different. I can pie plate every time with my compound and the range but no way am I taking that hunting shot. If billy bob does he will be disappointed and either won’t take he shot anymore or he’ll give up. He also will be disappointed in how the deer everyone talks about during bow season still seem to allude him. He won’t hang In There. I know 6 people that got crossbows was his year. Me being one of them just because a good deal came up in there his site. All 6 are bow hunters. I dont know any gun only hunters or hat have taken up the crossbow. I am certain there are. I just don’t see the long term pressure increase above what is already there
  • Like 4

On 11/24/2017 at 1:06 PM, silent death said:

2 20 year old kids got busted for doin just that 2 years ago in Bethlehem you know how they got caught they we're video taping themselves doin it and the cop found the cam corder...all they got was a 500$ fine and let go...should have been a automatic loss of license for 5 years in my opinion

it will be the punishment along with more money if the governor signs the bill A556 that passed both senate and assembly this year.

14 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

You sound a little butt hurt because you aren't seeing deer from this "pressure" currently. Maybe it has more to do with your hunting style and the time of year?  Nah has to be the neighbors who aren't as good as you. :rolleyes:

you're not far off. it's why i hate gun season. 

just curious "doe whacker" because you want to make it personal. What is the size of the property you hunt? How has your mature buck hunting gone lately?

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

you're not far off. it's why i hate gun season. 

just curious "doe whacker" because you want to make it personal. What is the size of the property you hunt? How has your mature buck hunting gone lately?

I hunt a lot of different properties varying in size from 100 to several hundred acres none of which are "exclusive" to me and some are public land. Rarely do I see another hunter all year long, its not as doom and gloom as you make it out to be. Lots of guys are just like you and quit after a week, I prefer later season for gun and hope for snow once bow season is over.

Don't get upset because I might know a thing or three about hunting, just because my screen name is doewhacker doesn't mean I don't know my stuff on the properties I hunt. Worry about you, not the neighbors or Doewhacker or evil crossbow hunters that will be the end of the world as we know it. It will be ok, just hunt.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

there are a bunch on this very site. And billy bob does the same dumb shit during gun season and keeps coming back. why would he throw his $1k investment in the closet? 

Because it's easier to quit than admit your failings and commit to making all of the changes that will lead to a successful hunt.  

I choked down a large piece of humble pie in this my first xbow season and now have a full appreciation of the skills, preparation and equipment needed to be in a position to be successful.  Guess you could say I'm not a quitter. :)

1 hour ago, Belo said:

one walks at 45 and he's dead with a crossbow and not with a compound.

What does that have to do with your hunting experience? Are you saying you're afraid some other hunter might kill your deer? So, we should hope for less NY hunters and start ear tagging deer with the name of the hunter who the deer belongs to? Hunters let deer walk every day,  kill deer every day, and miss deer everyday with rifles let alone compounds and crossbows. I don't quite get your point. So, we're going to hate crossbows because they kill deer?

i'll throw this out there. this year on the family farm alone 3 hunters who hunted solely with a gun picked up a crossbow and hunted the archery season.  one of them was a youth hunter.  several years down the road there's more than likely 2 more future youth hunters that will use a crossbow, as they said they will.  all just starting out with a crossbow but have practiced with it throughout the off season have set their range shorter than my wheel house with any of my compounds. 

i don't own a crossbow of my own.  i'm a spry 34 yr old grown up farm boy that on any given day can draw an 80lb compound without struggle.  a few years ago i think it's been, i got in an auto accident (not at fault). i couldn't pull back my wife's bow to save my life that was set at 40 lbs. i sat and watched a perfectly patterned trophy buck on trail cam week after week, because shit happens and i couldn't hunt with a crossbow.  i couldn't get a doctors note and suddenly make things okay for more reasons than i realized.

for anyone who's arguing that a crossgun is not archery equipment.  I ask you this: i give you $100 for one and only one chance to walk into a shop to put the $ down on a new crossbow and only a crossbow. then i put you in front of a gun shop and an archery, which is the only one you'd chose would you walk into to buy a crossbow?

honestly, i just want to be able to hunt with a Ravin crossbow and i'd call that a win.  i wouldn't hunt or kill anything any different than with any other crossbow.  saying i can't use that versus using a NY compliant crossbow is no different than saying i'm an a**&^%$ and should not be able to hunt with an AR10 "assault rifle" chambered in 308.  good thing i've got my grandpa's Remington Model 742 Woodsmaster deer rifle to use so i don't tarnish my reputation.

• Like 2

They may not move as far or by your tree but they still get up and move every few hours.

I have to say you may be repeating what you have read...I just last week talked about some doe that came in around 6:30 am and bedded directly in front of me...I left then came back at 12:30 pm and they where still in the same spot...all they did was turn their position...probably from stretching. This they will do every few hours ,stand arch ,stretch shudder and lay back down......those deer where shot at by the lease guys laying in wait at 4:30 pm just a few hundred ft off my line, which was 80 yrds from where they had bedded... They never moved for 9-10 hours. This is not the first time I have witnessed this in both doe and buck.

35 minutes ago, growalot said:

I have to say you may be repeating what you have read...I just last week talked about some doe that came in around 6:30 am and bedded directly in front of me...I left then came back at 12:30 pm and they where still in the same spot...all they did was turn their position...probably from stretching. This they will do every few hours ,stand arch ,stretch shudder and lay back down......those deer where shot at by the lease guys laying in wait at 4:30 pm just a few hundred ft off my line, which was 80 yrds from where they had bedded... They never moved for 9-10 hours. This is not the first time I have witnessed this in both doe and buck.

So they got up and moved and got shot. You literally proved my point. 

Deer are crepuscular. 

Your blocked Doewhacker so I only see you when not on line...No you said they move every few hours...9-10 hours is not every few hours...Of course deer move...but note not all deer move around any distance during the day...those deer were moving dawn and dusk...AGAIN NOT EVERY FEW HOURS.....if you repond I probably won't see it  so what ever....

8 hours ago, Storm914 said:

A lot of people don't care it Will  happen 

Crossbows are legal in all or part of the bow season in over 35 states. If accident rates have gone up, the stats will be there to support your theory(wild ass guess). Should be easy for you to find and post them if you are right. After all, providing proof of your claims is something you excel at:rolleyes: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveB said:

Crossbows are legal in all or part of the bow season in over 35 states. If accident rates have gone up, the stats will be there to support your theory(wild ass guess). Should be easy for you to find and post them if you are right. After all, providing proof of your claims is something you excel at:rolleyes: 

I'm not posting to this topic any more let someone else smarter then me figure it out. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

I hunt a lot of different properties varying in size from 100 to several hundred acres none of which are "exclusive" to me and some are public land. Rarely do I see another hunter all year long, its not as doom and gloom as you make it out to be. Lots of guys are just like you and quit after a week, I prefer later season for gun and hope for snow once bow season is over.

Don't get upset because I might know a thing or three about hunting, just because my screen name is doewhacker doesn't mean I don't know my stuff on the properties I hunt. Worry about you, not the neighbors or Doewhacker or evil crossbow hunters that will be the end of the world as we know it. It will be ok, just hunt.

hes-right-you-know.jpg

19 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

So you called me butt hurt and challenged my hunting style remember? I didn't start the dick measuring contest. you did.

But thanks for partially answering my question. You stated that you do not hunt pressured land, so no sir you don't get what most of us who live near big cities have to deal with.

I do worry about me, I don't quit after the first week either, not sure where you got that from. I hunt all 3. But again, I was answering a question that was posed to the group, not just spouting off nonsense for no reason.

Finally, I have no doubt you're a good hunter even if you didn't answer one of my question. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 8:25 AM, nyantler said:

As a traditional bow hunter I haven't been able to figure out how having crossbow hunters in the woods is a disadvantage to me. I'm pretty sure the deer don't consciously choose to walk in front of just crossbow hunters and by-pass all the other bow hunters.

19 hours ago, nyantler said:

What does that have to do with your hunting experience? Are you saying you're afraid some other hunter might kill your deer? So, we should hope for less NY hunters and start ear tagging deer with the name of the hunter who the deer belongs to? Hunters let deer walk every day,  kill deer every day, and miss deer everyday with rifles let alone compounds and crossbows. I don't quite get your point. So, we're going to hate crossbows because they kill deer?

You're putting words in my mouth. Lets look at the line of questions and answers. You asked this question above. I responded about the range difference. It's simple fact. Not disputable that more hunters harvesting more deer will decrease the odds of others. There are a finite amount of deer. We all agree on this right?

ok, so moving on. The opinion comes in to question on how much it will affect the other hunters. I don't believe the sky is falling, but I do believe that more hunters does affect my hunt. It's a harder to pill to swallow if one believes (like me and others) if this new hunter is not playing by the same rules. To head off one of your questions. Would I would be ok with more compound bow hunters? The answer is not a simple yes, but the pill goes down smoother.

I'm an engineer so excuse me for thinking so logically, but simply put. Yes more hunters means less deer = disadvantage. We will all be just fine if full inclusion passes but I was simply trying to answer your question with fact, not opinion. 

Edited by Belo

22 hours ago, Papist said:

If you are trying to argue that xbow hasn't brought  or won't bring new hunters into archery season, I have some beachfront property in Montana you might also be interested in.  Just one or 2 new hunters on my land borders can and has dramatically effected deer movement in recent years. Its all good tho. It  keeps me on my toes. Competition rocks.

I will almost guarantee you that the number of gun only hunters who will now go out and buy a crossbow will be insignificant.  Absolutely NO way will they have an impact on anyone's hunting during archery season.  This is all paranoia in my opinion.  I can use myself as an example.  I don't bowhunt anymore (never was much into it) and I have absolutely ZERO interest in buying and hunting with a crossbow.  I'll stick to my gun thank you, and I hope it makes some of you elitists happy that there is one less hunter killing YOUR deer with that dasterdly crossbow!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I will almost guarantee you that the number of gun only hunters who will now go out and buy a crossbow will be insignificant.  Absolutely NO way will they have an impact on anyone's hunting during archery season.  This is all paranoia in my opinion.  I can use myself as an example.  I don't bowhunt anymore (never was much into it) and I have absolutely ZERO interest in buying and hunting with a crossbow.  I'll stick to my gun thank you, and I hope it makes some of you elitists happy that there is one less hunter killing YOUR deer with that dasterdly crossbow!!

Phew - you were the one I was particularly worried about!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2