Killed while walking her dogs at 5:30, that's dark

Curmudgeon

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

What are you talking about?

I'm showing that a long range pistol is capable at extended ranges as some here didn't know of such handguns.  Nothing more.......

Ok but did this guy have a scope on his ? Or iron sites on it .

Either way that guy was a dummy 

Edited by Storm914

34 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Can't know and if I assumed I'd make an ass out of you and me.

Ok cool but since you have one  Usually do the guys who  use those type guns  use them with a scope more then not .

I only seen a guy  once deer hunting with one on state land in my life  and it was scoped .

Which I'm scratching my head thinking to my self  what was   this guy thinking . I wouldn't be surprised if this moron was pissed off she was jogging where he hunts and took a shot in her Direction just to scare her not thinking  he would hit her . At that distance .

You would be surprised how stupid people can be with firearms just look at what you see on YouTube  for example .

Edited by Storm914

13 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Ok but did this guy have a scope on his ? Or iron sites on it .

Either way that guy was a dummy 

I'll bet he did and I would also bet that it had an illuminated reticle of some sort. If it was too dark to identify the target, it was also too dark to see a no-illuminated reticle well enough to make a 200 yd hit..(unless it was a fluke)

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

And since I was uploading pics from an external hard drive (if that's the proper term) from an old computer of mine, here is some pics to help explain:

The bench & setup:

XlIxcY2.jpg

The terrain:

Pistol & shooter:

bjwRlez.jpg

Not to derail this thread, and I know legally that's a pistol. But lets be honest. That aint no pistol :):):) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

So why does virtually every other state that I am aware of have 1/2 prior/after sunrise/sunset as legla big game hunting hours?

Let me point something out to you...THIS IS NYS period..NYS Rules..If you are hunting in NYS, you're obligated by law to FOLLOW NYS RULES. Repeatedly talking about other state rules...Won't change the FACTS.:rolleyes:

Edited by growalot

Because apparently...some people can't tell the difference between a pickup or women from a deer in low light...just like some can't abide by the rules that govern their hunting in this state. Because when the weather isn't perfect  even legal light isn't really enough  to see. When leafs are on trees and your on the dark side of a hill legsl light can be tough  to see.. When it's snowing...blah blah blah..because APPARENTLY NYS hunters have a difficult time following the rules they have and are lacking common sense...There ...perhaps if a reason other than they are the rules are needed... you can pick one of those.

Edited by growalot

This is sad that this lady lost her life to recklessness, and it does make the Hunting/Hunters look bad.This is not the first time an not the last this will happen regardless of the firearm/bow/crosbow.The laws in NY are written in black and white but they also differ from area to area.I'll use my area for example we can't use a rifle for deer hunting but can go and hunt coyotes with them at any hours.Also I can hunt Turkeys/spring 1/2 before sunrise so this is where I can see Hunters making the same mistake.The key here is know your target before shooting.

• Like 2

And now this just in from the DEC:

DEC Commissioner, Chautauqua County District Attorney and Chautauqua County Sheriff Announce Indictment of Man Who Shot and Killed Sherman Woman During Hunting Incident

Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos, Chautauqua County District Attorney Patrick E. Swanson and Chautauqua County Sheriff Joseph A. Gerace announced today that the man who shot and killed a woman walking her dogs in a field behind her Sherman home last week has been indicted.

Thomas B. Jadlowski, 34, of Sherman, surrendered himself to the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office in connection with the Nov. 22 incident in which he allegedly opened fire on what he thought was a deer but turned out to be his neighbor. Jadlowski was arraigned today in Chautauqua County Court on a two-count indictment alleging manslaughter in the 2nd degree and hunting after legal hours.

"Today, Mr. Jadlowski is being held accountable for his dangerous and reckless conduct when he fired a shot in the dark, causing this terrible tragedy,” Commissioner Seggos said. “I commend the work of our Environmental Conservation Police Officers (ECOs), the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office and Chautauqua County District Attorney Patrick Swanson for their professionalism and careful handling of this case. I hope this sends a loud and clear message that illegal hunting after sunset is dangerous and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”

On the day before Thanksgiving, DEC ECOs and Chautauqua County Sheriff’s responded to a call of a hunting-related shooting incident just after 5:20 p.m., well beyond the legal close of the daily hunting period at sunset.

Rosemary Billquist, 43, of Sherman, was struck in the hip by a bullet fired by Jadlowski. After firing the shot, hearing a scream and finding Billquist, Jadlowski called 911.  Members of the Sherman Stanley Hose Company Volunteer Fire Department responded within minutes of the shooting to find Ms. Billquist unresponsive about 150 yards behind her home.  She was immediately transported to UPMC Hamot medical center in Erie, Pennsylvania, but later succumbed to her injuries.

“Like the rest of Chautauqua County, Sherman has many responsible hunters, and having grown up in Sherman myself, I know many families where hunting is a family affair,” DA Swanson said. “Responsible hunting is paramount to the safety of anyone enjoying the outdoors. This incident is a tragic reminder of the importance that hunting laws be followed.  This incident was completely avoidable.  My sincerest condolences go out to the Billquist and Jafarjian families.”

Chautauqua County Sheriff Joe Gerace said: “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Rosemary Billquist. This tragic event should never have happened. I am pleased that through the efforts of the Sheriff’s Office, the DEC, and the District Attorney’s Office, we have charged the defendant whose reckless actions resulted in the death of an innocent woman.”

Jadlowski, of Sherman, entered a plea of not guilty in Chautauqua Court in front of Judge David W. Foley.  Bail was set at $50,000 cash or $100,000 property. Jadlowski is due back in court on Jan. 29, 2018 for motions. The charges carry a potential state prison sentence of 5 to 15 years.

###

• Like 2

3 hours ago, growalot said:

Let me point something out to you...THIS IS NYS period..NYS Rules..If you are hunting in NYS, you're obligated by law to FOLLOW NYS RULES. Repeatedly talking about other state rules...Won't change the FACTS.:rolleyes:

Let me point something out to you. You are the one that bemoans the drastic danger of extending hours 1/2 hour beyond the current rules, yet almost all states see fit to allow it. Seems that if it was such a danger, it wouldn't be a common practice.

Here's another question. How many people shot when "mistaken for game" in NY State over the last 20 years were wearing florescent orange? Granted this lady wasn't hunting, but the vast majority of those killed are hunters.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Well both my self and a neighbor were in full blaze orange when we were nearly shot out of our TREE STANDS. ...two different years  and before legal hours.DEC called in both cases. Now there have been several accounts on here of guys having slugs landing on trees  near them ..while in Orange... our daughter was in full blaze...  Mr B my, self and his friend in full blaze when a slug went through his his hair...You don't need to be mistaken for game to get shot in NY...and unless actually hit even with very close calls ..reports are never made by DEC...there is a reason for this.

Now all that has nothing to do with the fact it is still NYS law...I Don't see that changing ever now... so stop whining about what other states allow and learn to live with what the state you live in allows...or....move and be done with it.

Edited by growalot
  • Confused 1

It sure is lively around the Ponderosa!  I didn't see anyone whining about legal shooting hours.  I believe he asked why most other states do it differently.  I'm not sure why NY is more dangerous, but it sure seems to be.  If more daylight and blaze orange aren't the answers, then I don't have any suggestions.  Have you ever considered moving Grow?

• Like 1