Hunters arrested in Columbia county

mowin

I know the DEC officer Jeff Cox. Lives not to far from me.  I know of 2 guys he's been after for a few a yrs. 

Names haven't been released, but I hope there the ones I know of. 

Columbia county is big, and there not giving out too much info on where this took place. 

Good job DEC.  :drinks:

Believe me, if these guys are the ones I know of, this is a major score.  They've eluded DEC for yrs, and bragged about it. 

It might seem petty, but let's them know there not smarter than the law. They did get caught, and will get caught again if they choose to continue. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

Probably, but when they get caught again, the penalties will be substantial. Are you saying let them go?  

Not at all ,i'm sure the punishment i have in mind would be deemed cruel and/or unusual . I'm not a big fan of people who break the law and i'm even less of a fan of the weak punishments to scumbags who break the law.

23 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Not at all ,i'm sure the punishment i have in mind would be deemed cruel and/or unusual . I'm not a big fan of people who break the law and i'm even less of a fan of the weak punishments to scumbags who break the law.

I agree 100%. The punishment you and I have in mind is probably the same.  But both of us are limited to what will be dished out. It most likely will be substantially less than what we would deliver, but it is what we have to accept. 

Edited by mowin

8 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

One way to punish them would be to confine them and make them listen to Christmas music 24 / 7 from Thanksgiving to New Years ! That would cure them of their crimes !

Why would you consider that punishment?  I actually like Christmas music.  I can give Bing Crosby a run for his money with my version of "White Christmas"! 

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Those bucks are a resource to NY, I'd love to see these guys hit with huge fines. And take their vehicles until the fines are paid, they were used in the committing of a crime

The new poaching law and fine structure won't be in place for about 3 more months. While the new fines are quite a bit higher than they were, I feel they aren't enough.  To me the structure should be like other states. The bigger the buck the more "value" the the people of the state and the higher the fines.  The initial proposal was much higher and tougher on the poaching law.  The feed back was it was too high and tough an would not get support or pass

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

IMO, once a light is involved in the actual shots being fired at a game animal after dark, it should be a felony. "Jacking" deer with a light is not a case of someone giving in to temptation. It is a deliberate, premeditated plan to break the law. And then there is the safety aspect to livestock & otherwise.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The new poaching law and fine structure won't be in place for about 3 more months. While the new fines are quite a bit higher than they were, I feel they aren't enough.  To me the structure should be like other states. The bigger the buck the more "value" the the people of the state and the higher the fines.  The initial proposal was much higher and tougher on the poaching law.  The feed back was it was too high and tough an would not get support or pass

Do you know how high the proposed fines were? 

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:
Do you know how high the proposed fines were? 

I can’t remember the original numbers. I do know there were other provisions as well, including loss of license and that went away too. Would have been much easier if all the hunters had actually contacted their Reps and put pressure on them. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

One thing is for sure when you get caught like this the ECO will be watching and checking on them.  I also agree this is premeditated poaching no question and should be treated harshly but they will only get a slap on the wrist.  Should be a mandatory ban from hunting for a minimum of 5 years for this blatant disregard for New York's deer. 

11 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Baiting, nightvision and no tags?  Make an example of them and give them the max penalty.

The max penalty is 1 year in the klink and $2000 in fines. By the time all is said and done, they will spend next to no time in jail, and $2000 is a bargain for 8 bucks. Cant go into a high fence place and shoot a "management" buck for that price. What a joke.

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The max penalty is 1 year in the klink and $2000 in fines. My the time all is said and done, they will spend next to no time in jail, and $2000 is a bargain for 8 bucks. Cant go into a high fence place and shoot a "management" buck for that price.

Very true, I wonder if they got to keep all the meat and they just confiscated the heads? Hopefully they took it all I would rather the meat rot in a dumpster than these crooks benefit from it. 

That one 10 point was a dandy buck too, makes me wonder how many people are out there doing this and not only just during deer season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

IMO, once a light is involved in the actual shots being fired at a game animal after dark, it should be a felony. "Jacking" deer with a light is not a case of someone giving in to temptation. It is a deliberate, premeditated plan to break the law. And then there is the safety aspect to livestock & otherwise.

There are plenty of game animals that you can legally shoot with a light after dark, and its plenty safe unless you are being stupid. I dont read anything in the article that brings up a safety concern, its the poaching of deer thats the issue. I also dont think a felony charge is in order, we are talking about deer being killed, not people. Rack the fines up there, do not allow them to buy sporting licenses, maybe even take their guns away for a certain amount of time, but change their lives forever over some deer? Thats way too extreme IMO.

• Like 2