How wiil gas prices

fasteddie

How wiil the spiraling gas prices affect your hunting this fall ? If the prices keep climbing will you hunt less , closer to home , etc ? At &5 a gallon , it would cost me over $25 a day to drive towing the trailer with my ATV .  ???

Havn't had any luck hunting close to home !  >:(

I will hunt as much, but will stay more at camp.  ..

That, and just planing ahead, cut out convenience runs. One exception might be Thursday, there is a place that has a special on wings, they are good and the waitress is nice on the eyes. In all seriousness for those of us who drive 90 miles or so to get to camp - hunt when fuel hovers 5$ in the fall I think most of us would agree we have to become more efficient with travel.

And it's going to hit home when you know there is work to be done, not for a few gallons in the tiller, weed wacker or chainsaw, but all the extra weight & towing. Then there's the toys. I decided not to get a generator for camp but instead try the solar route and use the firepit & propane. Imo the white gas lantern days are gone. Even thought about trying one of those wind up lanterns. What is all this little crap going to matter. Well, if your going to budget for fuel, and it's going to cost more, funds have to come from somewhere. Got a netflix account? - put it on hold for 3 months. Got a 2nd cell? Kill it. Things like that. If your innner-self wants to go hunting, you will find a way.

Same here fantail, just budget for it and take the s-box instead of the truck some times. We don't have a camp so daily drives to the hunting spots back and forth are a must, its a pain on a good day, but worth it as long as we get some meat. I did start hunting around home more the last few years though its not nearly as good hunting.

Longer trips at camp less frequently though.

I'm quoting myself but have to add that groceries are through the roof also. On top of paying high gas prices the trip to the market is also very expensive.

Everybody will need to chip in at camp to lessen the hit to the wallet.

gas prices will indeed affect the average hunter who travels to and from his hunting grounds... id say there is a fair precentage who falls under that category, so plan to be affected by the rise in gas prices.

myself included... this sucks  >:(

I'll hunt the same as i live where i hunt, but not going to plow and plant,cultivate as many annuals this year. The 10 acre corn field is going to be put into clover that will save 80 gallons of gas just to plow it up,not to mentiion planting and spraying gas savings, over the next 3 years....Less mowing of trails and less joyrides on the go-kart and minibike as well. I'll walk to the creek instead of riding atv. Just cutting back where i can quickly.

My round trip will be about $100 round trip from the Island including tolls. Usually shop in Callicoon which is about 15 miles from the house ,will buy all my groceries at home so I can avoid the extra shopping trips. Filled five, 5 Gallon gas cans in N.J last week for $3.57 that I will bring up state for my mowers and quad bike.

Dave

Hunting is probably the only thing that won't be affected by gas prices other than perhaps I will put in even more hours because I won't be able to afford anything else. I don't travel at all to do my hunting. My hunting camp is my home.

I will be 70 in September and as long as I can still climb into a treestand i'll keep hunting and it would help if I would lose some weight .

I will be 70 in N0ov 5 and also sure can lose some weight. But no tree stands. I had a fall and broke my right leg in 9 places about 12 years ago so no going up as the leg does not bend well for me to handle the ladder. So ground blinds has to due for me..