Squirrel Rut is Fully ON in 9F!!!

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Maybe I prepared it poorly.  I could see it being more tender in soup or a stew. 

Also if you let them sit in salt water for a couple of hours before cooking it should soften them up.  Some like to let them sit in milk.  I haven't gone the milk route.

• Like 2

yeah i see it too what i do for a living is walk around in queens and brooklyn looking for gas leaks.I see them too all over the place.I carry a squirrel call with me for fun. I got it @ the show in rockland years ago.Its so funny i hit them with that call and i stop them in their tracks, they dont know what to make of it. it was so funny i was walking in forest hills[a very ritzy area] and some guy sees me talking to a squirrel and i said to him.See what this job done to me im here 35yrs and they got me talking to squirrels

On 1/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

http://newsforsquirrels.blogspot.com/2012/02/squirrel-facts-mating-and-birth.html

There are six squirrels flying around my neighborhood, chasing each other all over the place. If youre wondering when to use your vacation time to catch the chase phase id say between 1/23-2/2

Nice, I’ve been thinking it was the 1/10-1/18.........good thing I have deer nailed down via the Late Great Charlie Alsheimer.  RIP Charlie

Remember; it’s about the journey, not the reward.  (Something like that)

• Like 2

It takes time at low to moderate temps to tenderize an adult squirrel...

My favorite recipe.....Dust squirrel pieces in seasoned flour....Brown  in butter with  a little oil  to stretch the butter..

Place browned pieces in a pan..I use 9x13 aluminum steam line pans....Add some liquid..I prefer chicken broth, to a depth of 1/2 inch or so...Slice up an onion or two over the squirrel.. Cover tightly with foil and bake at around 300 degrees F for at lest two hours, or until the squirrel is falling off the bones tender....Remove foil, increase heat to 400 or so and  bake until squirrel is browned on top and most of the liquid is gone...The toughest squirrel will be tender at this point..use pan drippings to make gravy and serve over rice, taters, or whatever...

• Like 3

Sat in a stand today , waiting for a coyote to come along , I had  8 or more squirrels chasing  each other all over , falling 30or more feet out of trees at times .

Thought the 7mm08 a but much for them , but did head shoot an opossum.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It takes time at low to moderate temps to tenderize an adult squirrel...

My favorite recipe.....Dust squirrel pieces in seasoned flour....Brown  in butter with  a little oil  to stretch the butter..

Place browned pieces in a pan..I use 9x13 aluminum steam line pans....Add some liquid..I prefer chicken broth, to a depth of 1/2 inch or so...Slice up an onion or two over the squirrel.. Cover tightly with foil and bake at around 300 degrees F for at lest two hours, or until the squirrel is falling off the bones tender....Remove foil, increase heat to 400 or so and  bake until squirrel is browned on top and most of the liquid is gone...The toughest squirrel will be tender at this point..use pan drippings to make gravy and serve over rice, taters, or whatever...

Thanks for the recipe.  Taste wasn’t bad.  Just tough.   Now I know. 

7 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Sat in a stand today , waiting for a coyote to come along , I had  8 or more squirrels chasing  each other all over , falling 30or more feet out of trees at times .

Thought the 7mm08 a but much for them , but did head shoot an opossum.

My wife refused to taste the squirrel and proceeds to tell me she tried opossum in Guatemala.  C’mon who tries opossum but wont try squirrel.  Lol

• Like 4

About 6 hours in the crock pot on low tenderizes squirrels very well.   I have had mixed bags of rabbit and squirrel done that way and the squirrel is always a little better tasting and equally tender.   It just takes a few more of them to make a meal.  No free time for me this weekend, but hopefully the weather will cooperate next weekend, as this thread is making me hungry for some squirrel stew.