2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

WTH is this sound ? Never heard anything like it ?! It’s been going on for a minute. Spine chilling. I hear thrashing like turkey wings and a screeching wild cat sound with a touch of a whistle.  My only guess would be a fisher just nabbed a turkey. Wow !!! No clue what I just heard about 100 yards away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 5

The lack of ground talk is getting old. 
I got right in to 50 yds from the whole flock of birds, I got them to gobble once just as the sky was breaking, and they gobbled once on their own 10 minutes later. I watched them all in the trees until they flew down, could not get them to gobble again. They would strut but not a peep, and there were at least 3 bearded birds there. Really odd, nice crisp sunny morning with multiple gobblers and they won't talk. It's not nearly as fun when they're silent...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

The lack of ground talk is getting old. 

I'm with ya on this!  

For me, hearing the gobbles and turkey sounds is what makes turkey hunting fun! I am NOT a great, or even good turkey hunter. So, so, at best, as deer hunting is my main passion. Hunting  turkey's is fun to me when there is interaction between hunter, and the birds. I understand this is not always the case when hunting turkeys. The last few years, I may hear a sporadic gobble from the roost, and then dead silence, when they hit ground. Just takes the FUN out of it for me, even if I do kill one coming in silent.

We have about 500 acres of huntable property available to us. The birds are not pressured at all. Food plots, hay fields, and excellent turkey habitat abound. The numbers of turkeys on this property, and area, have decreased substantially over the last 15 to 20 years. Mostly due to predators, winter kill, and harsh nesting conditions in the spring?? Perhaps if there were more turkeys, they would be more vocal???  These same woods and fields used to light up, with spring gobble's and hen sounds! No more though. 

I could easily go somewhere else and kill a turkey. But to me the FUN, is doing it on my own land, and hearing them answer my calls. Not sounding sour grapes here. Just my current feelings of turkey hunting our property.

• Like 4

Most glorious show and magnificent bird I’ve ever seen. He was walking away but still gobbling. I cut his gobble with a soft Yelp. Had him at 30 and pulled the trigger. I’m so mad right now. Got this and feathers. He ran off. I’m putting the gun in safe for the rest of the season. I may vomit during this search. 12e3af49c7d3230bf152d977aa0c0915.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

i wounded one 2 years ago. if you think finding a wounded deer is hard... man. These birds blend right in, and when not fanned out are really not that big. If they die in some brush or something forget about it. You're best bet is that he's wounded and you can jump him.

sorry man. been there. 

lady luck isn't doing you any favors this season.  sorry to hear it.  kind of a grey area going after him after noon. maybe drop the gun off,  to come back and look? if something gets a hold of him from being wounded it's easy to spot with a pile of feathers everywhere.

6 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

lady luck isn't doing you any favors this season.  sorry to hear it.  kind of a grey area going after him after noon. maybe drop the gun off,  to come back and look? if something gets a hold of him from being wounded it's easy to spot with a pile of feathers everywhere.

Been an all around bad 2018 so far. Gun in car.    Fullest tall fan ive seen.  Totally fooled this bird to committing. He’d hit me , started away. Cut the distance in a bare woods with him over a ridge , cut his gobble , he committed again , scratch leaves , purred.  Great hunt til the end.  348 low cut tree stumps have been him so far. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

kind of a grey area going after him after noon. maybe drop the gun off,  to come back and look? if something gets a hold of him from being wounded it's easy to spot with a pile of feathers everywhere.

maybe the law isn't, but ethics is on your side if he's wounded. just my .02.

• Like 2