2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

I went to my SIL's woods in Geneseo where I had several pics of Turkeys . I sat in a ladder stand that had a rail and put camo burlap on it for cover . Saw one one hen and a couple doe . It saturated with water back in the woods . Some spots had 8 to 9 inches of standing water as it doesn't drain . 
On another note . Last summer I noticed several posted signs were missing the papers . Nothing laying around so they had to have been ripped off . I reposted them . Since I was within 100 yards of them I trudged back to check them out . They were gone . If the woods ever dries up . I will go back with a ladder and put the signs higher . 

I’d put a cheap cam hidden up high too. Damn trespassers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balls.  Dude in perimeter won’t lay off the hoot tube. How many times you want that bird to gobble.  Non stop hoot n gobble.  2 birds hammering.  He’s already calling to them.  I’m fully expecting  a limb shot. 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

That's lame TF.  Sorry about your luck.  I sat on the porch again.  Didn't hear a gobble, but did hear at least 4 rapid fire shots in the dark.  Definitely shotguns.  Definitely two shooters.  I saw 3 toms in a pasture in that direction yesterday.  I'm guessing everyone else saw them too...

He’ll remember where you are late morning. Birds flew down. Sporadic gobbles. Can’t hear dude anymore. Mama fox in field Fired up the thermacell and my own thermacell after taco pizza last night. That outta wake her up 861b7afd1977a910e69f5edd449e3a90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Watched some birds across the valley head this way followed up by two dummy’s that walked thru the middle of two big fields. Gotta love opening weekend lol

Head a hen in between but it is quiet here, probably from the birds being spooked. I wonder if I can call those two hunters in and yell at them. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I went to my SIL's woods in Geneseo where I had several pics of Turkeys . I sat in a ladder stand that had a rail and put camo burlap on it for cover . Saw one one hen and a couple doe . It saturated with water back in the woods . Some spots had 8 to 9 inches of standing water as it doesn't drain . 

On another note . Last summer I noticed several posted signs were missing the papers . Nothing laying around so they had to have been ripped off . I reposted them . Since I was within 100 yards of them I trudged back to check them out . They were gone . If the woods ever dries up . I will go back with a ladder and put the signs higher . 

A lot of posted signs on flea markets these days. Vintage metal ones are bringing $15.

Well I’m going to wrap this trip up. I have a five hour ride today. Six days one close bird never seen him and one lone Lind distant gobble that was it. Hopefully I can get backup here before the end of the season. Congrats to all the successful and good luck everyone.  

I was out. Had a bird gobbling and not sure exactly where, get the OnX out and he is right in the middle of a neighborhood! I called in a hen, let her go by, call her back, did this several times until another hen came in. They had a brawl right front of me. Fighting purrs, puffing up the whole deal it was pretty call. All that racket from live hens and not a single gobble and nothing came in. Fun morning though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

I took the morning off today to recharge my batteries...Been in the woods before daylight every day since April 24th....Slept in until 700 AM  !!

As I told Moogie,  on a per hour or per day basis I am probably the world's worst turkey hunter...I just wear them down  with perstistence, or perhaps it's stubbornness...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 7

I was out til the end credits at high noon.  Had a gobbler on the roost and about 5:45 he made a bee line for me except directly behind me. To about 20 yards and busted me and ran off.  10 minutes later on opposite side of field a shot.  So after a bust and a shot I went across the road.  

Had a yote sneak up ony decoys to about 20yards.  

Then moved 300 yards to a different field and had a deer stomp and walk around my dekes for 30 minutes.

Went back to original spot thinking maybe I could bring that Tom back, just setup in the woods instead of field edge about 200 yards away.  About 1/2 mile away there was someone working with equipment and everytime they banged the bucket from a loader there would be gobbles probably 500 yards away.  Tried calling , one sounded like it came a.little closer but never saw it or had it get close enough.  

Lots of gobbles and wildlife around. Good morning, but no turk in the truck. Got tomorrow off and gonna try another spot.  Think I got busted cause the woods are sooooo wide open.  He came behind me so close that I moved to look and that's all it took.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Decided to go this morning. No gobbles at all and no turkeys seen. Going to Maine next weekend. Then will start getting the boat ready.

Not enough turkeys to bother with on our property. 

Hunting turkeys in Maine, or fishing, Grampy ?  I have done some of both up there...

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Hunting turkeys in Maine, or fishing, Grampy ?  I have done some of both up there...

Just a get away for me and the Mrs. in Ogunquit/Wells. But thinking of wetting a line in the Ogunquit river, early mornings, while she is getting ready. It's right outside our door, where we will be staying.

• Like 1