2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

Tapping outGave it my all.    Looking again at tree I think tree took almost all of it as so close.  Hoping feathers were simply thrown as he boot scooted out of there.  I’m such a nimrod of the non great hunter meaning. What an amazing hunt though. Totally couldn’t have called it any better except the ending. 

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Tapping outGave it my all.    Looking again at tree I think tree took almost all of it as so close.  Hoping feathers were simply thrown as he boot scooted out of there.  I’m such a nimrod of the non great hunter meaning. What an amazing hunt though. Totally couldn’t have called it any better except the ending. 

Seem like a case of murphys law. Happens to every one though...you'll get him next time!

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sounds like an exciting hunt Jay. Wish the outcome would have been different for ya. But.....perhaps you just ruffled some feathers, and he is still in the area!  How sweet would it be to get redemption!! 

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Bummer.......BTDT a couple few times. 

Like Jim Morrison says.....”keep your eyes on the road and hands upon the wheel”.

(you get the correlation though)

Keep replaying it through my turkey like pea brain.  Dang it ! Dang tree jumped right out in front of me. Amazing show though.  The sun on his glimmering feathers , his head colorful , thundering gobble and was double and triple gobbling when I cut his gobble. And I totally fooled him   I’ll lose sleep worrying about him tonight. Samanatha and I will try Saturday again. 

• Like 7

Tough, it stings to miss especially more after such a great lead up. It happens and just gotta hope that bird is walking around still and has already forgotten what happened. Sometimes a turkey sized brain would be a good thing!

Had a similar situation happen two weekends ago. Struck a bird around 815 and worked him perfectly into 30 yards, all in the woods, using terrain to advantage. He came over rise in full strut and I missed clean over his head. Went back last weekend and killed a (probably same big tom) right off the roost at 5:50am.

3 more birds roosted with him who high tailed it out of there after the boss got whacked.

been out two times this season and had good luck. I will say that i havent seen birds in fields yet. I had good success in the hardwoods even though they are just greening up. Should be good by this weekend.  

• Like 1

TF, sorry the outcome wasn't better. I'm thinking he's fine... Might have stained his tail feathers a little thought.  I can see the hunt in my head.. sun hitting his fan, showing all the iridescent colors, the red, white, and blue head contrasting the colors of the woods... BANG...  #@$_$#&-_$#@@.  

Yep, been there.  I feel for ya pal.  It weighs heavy on ya. Ya play it over and over, trying to figure out what the hell went wrong. 

Hopefully you can fool him again, and may your aim not have a tree in the way. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

I think you can call that Gobbler again TurkeyFeathers. Keep after him!

Showed him my whole hand today in a great game.  Instead of giving up as I do believe he’s alive I’ll go whack him. Bitter sweet 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

On the positive side, you still have 22 days left. Good luck.

17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Showed him my whole hand today in a great game.  Instead of giving up as I do believe he’s alive I’ll go whack him. Bitter sweet 

Go kill that PITA bird! Get a saw and cut out the area where your shot hit and mount that bastids legs on it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a great morning out with a buddy I hadn’t talked to in a while. Had birds going in one spot and decided to leave them at 745. Went to another spot two minutes down the road and set up then had birds going again. Called in two jakes from several hundred yards and smashed one at @40. At first I wasn’t going to but my buddy really wanted me to take one so I obliged. 

They put on a show across two long fields, fun hunt and that is what it is about. I’m glad he reminded me of that. 

Dude has an impressive selection of calls and gear by the way. 

• Like 4

Went out with my son this morning. He was anxious to score on a bird with his crossbow. We neither saw nor heard anything until 9:30 a.m. Then a hen came into our field followed by 6 jakes. They went up to attack our jake decoy and my son got his wish- a perfect 15 yard broadside shot. Wish come true!                valoroutdoors.com 

20180509_095125.jpg

• Like 18

At work and prepping for ladies night where we’ll have 125 cackling hens from 6-9. Oh joy. Headed out in the morning to 250 acres with a cousin who’s never turkey hunted and knows he has birds there. He shoots a lot of deer so hoping he gets hooked on birds now too. 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

At work and prepping for ladies night where we’ll have 125 cackling hens from 6-9. Oh joy. Headed out in the morning to 250 acres with a cousin who’s never turkey hunted and knows he has birds there. He shoots a lot of deer so hoping he gets hooked on birds now too. 

maybe you can record them and play it back in the woods and attract some toms! 

good luck tomorrow !   back on the horse!

• Like 1

I was out from 6 until 11 this morning . Kicked a doe our walking in . No turkey sounds or sightings . Heard a couple shots way south of me around 9 am . 

Around 9:30 I spotted a doe slowly coming my way chewing leaves and slowly approaching . after a while , she bolted and ran back about 70 yards . I used my call and she came back for another look . At least I saw something . Glad that I always take my Canon camera with me . 

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

I was out from 6 until 11 this morning . Kicked a doe our walking in . No turkey sounds or sightings . Heard a couple shots way south of me around 9 am . 

Around 9:30 I spotted a doe slowly coming my way chewing leaves and slowly approaching . after a while , she bolted and ran back about 70 yards . I used my call and she came back for another look . At least I saw something . Glad that I always take my Canon camera with me . 

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Doesn't look pregnant.  Wonder if there is a little one somewhere already.