2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

5 minutes ago, mowin said:

Couple buddies live in Maine. They do very well on spring gobblers up there. They don't do well down here though, lol think our birds are smarter.:cheese:

Perhaps I'll do better with less smart birds! We'd be able to match wits then!........grin.

• Like 2

Haven't been out since Thursday. Opening day, I have a thread on that one. Wed., few gobbles and then  notta. Thurs., not a peep.

I left the weekend opener on public land alone.

0-3 so far, but still time left. I'll be out tomorrow and most likely Tues. .

8 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Haven't been out since Thursday. Opening day, I have a thread on that one. Wed., few gobbles and then  notta. Thurs., not a peep.

I left the weekend opener on public land alone.

0-3 so far, but still time left. I'll be out tomorrow and most likely Tues. .

I kept notes of birds  heard,  worked, killed by myself and a number of my hunting buddies over  a period of many years...

The period of time between May 8th and 16th stands out with many kills over the years...Most of the experienced gobbler hunters that I know  , if they were to take a week's vacation to hunt, would take it around the middle of the month... This year, with everything being late due to the LOONG winter,  late season may be hot...

Just a conjecture,...Good luck and don't give up....

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I kept notes of birds  heard,  worked, killed by myself and a number of my hunting buddies over  a period of many years...

The period of time between May 8th and 16th stands out with many kills over the years...Most of the experienced gobbler hunters that I know  , if they were to take a week's vacation to hunt, would take it around the middle of the month... This year, with everything being late due to the LOONG winter,  late season may be hot...

Started keeping a written journal this season. 

I took the morning off today to recharge my batteries...Been in the woods before daylight every day since April 24th....Slept in until 700 AM  !!
As I told Moogie,  on a per hour or per day basis I am probably the world's worst turkey hunter...I just wear them down  with perstistence, or perhaps it's stubbornness...

I get a turkey most years and when people ask how I say I keep going until I get one. Not terribly good at hunting them, just not smart enough to quit lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I agree.  I think the last half of the season is going to be great

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Papist said:

Usual story on over-cast mornings, not a squeak or squawk .

Well there's your problem, your going after the wrong birds.. turkeys don't squeak or squawk.   :drinks:.

• Like 3

hunted yesterday morning first morning out for the season due to the crazy schedule. rained pretty much all day.  never heard any birds and couldn't roost them the saturday evening. picked a spot called and waited it out. tried my best to use the friction calls, forgot mouth calls as i took them out of my vest for some reason. around 8:30am i pulled a single male turkey in. had just it's head moving over the ridge. didn't fan up or gobble to tell what it was so i passed. thought it was going to come further up and closer to my location as i called enough before it came in.  in hindsight i probably could've used my voice to throw some purs and clucks but wasn't thinking as i normally have a mouth call in.  after a while i got up and headed back to access road where i parked. down the mountain from the access road, in a field below, i spotted a flock headed across. tried to hustle down their but couldn't get ahead of them in time and lost the direction they went. called a little to try to get them to give up their location and nothing.  picked a spot in the general direction quarter mile away. setup again and called. only thing that came was harder rain. called it around 11am.

on another note every time i'm outside doesn't matter where it seems like i'm picking up hitchhikers. this time one of the blood suckers attached at my neck. Procrastination is over all my warmer season gear i'm using is getting treated with permethrin now. depending on the weather i'll hang stuff under cover from the rain.

• Like 1

i really hand it to you guys who've put the boots to the ground. I went out tuesday and saturday. There's just no way I can keep getting up at 4am and still try and get all the spring chores and battery recharging done. 

Looking forward to getting out again this weekend, but this late spring has really condensed the honey do list and it's been tough.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Belo said:

i really hand it to you guys who've put the boots to the ground. I went out tuesday and saturday. There's just no way I can keep getting up at 4am and still try and get all the spring chores and battery recharging done. 

Looking forward to getting out again this weekend, but this late spring has really condensed the honey do list and it's been tough.

I hear ya.  I'm giving the birds a break. Let them calm down and maybe more hens will be nesting. But in reality, I'm the one who needs a break, lol. 

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

That's MOOG !!  I  hunted with him Saturday  !!

Are you saying our moog, is really a Hoss? 

I do know, he was once a "blocker" in his college days!

Edited by grampy
  • Haha 1

I’m utilizing OnX ap to view property lines in the morning and getting tight to where birds are roosting. Think after looking I’ve got some wiggle room. As long as the blipping dot stays inside the redline I’m good lol. They rip hard , hit the deck , few gobbles and shut down. Tomorrow ones getting shot. It’ll be day 5 for me. 

• Like 3

Well went out today after dropping wife off at work. Walked 4 1/2 miles not a single gobble or any sign of turkeys. Gonna try new state land tomorrow. Hope I have better luck. Turkey's 3 Redneck 0. I don't know what's going on this year not one gobble yet. I know there their just not responding to calls. Don't know what's going on.

I talked to a friend today, one of the best turkeys hunters I know  ( Moog was in his trophy room Saturday)....

He has heard  a few roost gobbles and then ZERO after they fly down....His  opinion,, HENNED UP.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I talked to a friend today, one of the best turkeys hunters I know  ( Moog was in his trophy room Saturday)....

He has heard  a few roost gobbles and then ZERO after they fly down....His  opinion,, HENNED UP.....

Starting to see lone toms in fields after noon.  Was working at my clients property doing the spring cleanup past couple days, same place I hunt, and around 3pm I'm hearing a lot of gobbling on the hills.  

Really thinking of giving them a week or so, then hitting them hard. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 3