2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

I had big plans to hunt, but at this point I will probably just take my coffee out on the porch and have a listen.  Have to work later for some out-of-state folks.  Good luck out there!  Show Moog how it's done Dan!  Mornin' TF.  Hope the birds want to play this morning.  Wonder how the gobblers are feeling after last night's thunderstorm.

• Like 1

I’m out here with no idea where to start. This particular woods hasnt held turkeys since a few hundred acres were cleared two years ago but I’ve seen a couple nearby while driving the past week. Hoping they’re roosted on this property and gobble to give me a clue before I move. Either way there’s nothing like the Spring woods waking up. Good luck to all who are out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got to my blind at 5:20 just in time to hear the first gobbles. Put out the decoys and got in my blind. I decided to put down one of the windows in my blind and got stung by a bee. Turns out they were building a hive right there and I ended up killing 5 plus the queen. Finger hurts a bit now and the gobblers that we’re pretty close sound headed up now. Not the bad start to the day, but it could be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this stinks. My one neighbor gave me full use of his property during turkey. He called this week to ask if its ok to have a family member hunt his land. I obviously said its your land let him hunt. Talked to the guy yesterday, nice guy. Well now the gobbler is goin off in that direction and im stuck here...goodluck to him. 

• Like 1

Bird gobbled plenty, but half mile up the valley on posted ground.  I have tried calling birds across the posters, but they won't leave the beef pasture and come into the dangerous woods.  Besides, they almost always have hens with them.  I will leave them be for now, but check in on them later when they might be feeling a bit more desperate.

Had gobbles and sounded like 2 birds going.  Been quiet for awhile. 5 deer near us right now. And a pileated. 

Same here. I had 3 birds with in 200 yards, but o can hear at least one hen and they went with her. I was surrounded by 6 deer and a fox with in 30 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well things change fast in the turkey woods! Wasnt hearing anything so i moved back into my pines about 100 from were i was. Just sat down and heard a gobble maybe 60 yards in some thick stuff, next second i see a white head pop out. Gave 2 light yelps and he turned to his right cleard some trees and at 40 yards i dropped him! First spring turkey for me! First tom ever! 

20180505_063851.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

My son and I had 3 birds talking across the river, sounded like 2 were coming down to us, but as I figured they didn’t cross. We had a hen out in the field feeding for the last hour or so. But all is quiet now.. 

Edited by rob-c

I had an awesome hunt. Got a gobble so I did a loop around to get on the same side of the creek as him, ended up walking right into him. He was in a big bare tree very low, I think it was below the Ridge and out of the wind for him. I plopped right down next to a cottonwood and watched him gobble at least 50-60 times, pivot, stretch his legs and wings, it was awesome! Then to the surprise of no one he flew out and across the creek to exactly where I started lol. I’m actually happy because I don’t think it’s 500’ from the houses. I’d hoped he would fly out a bit so I made a move to where I could safely shoot and called to him, he never gobbled again. I called in the same hen three times so close I could see her tongue and eyelids. I’ll take another crack at him tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2