turkeyfeathers

2018 Live from the turkey woods

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

May Tom , little Nicky , Taco Tim , Pygmy Lawdwaz?! Some of the usual turkey killers each spring. How ya doing ? 

Moog , you still have a few days , unload that bear gear and have at it. 

Easily the least days I've hunted since 1982.......I'll hunt Arcade in the morning for only the second time this spring.  Just don't have the fire in the belly....we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Tomorrow night wifey and I are meeting up with three other couples for dinner.  Not just any three couples; all three of the guys are 40+ year friends.  One guy, Jack, has been a buddy since 1968.  Love them all like brothers and their wives are the best too, all 25-30 year marriages. 

Depending on how things go at dinner, maybe I'll hunt Sunday too but no worries.  I've been blessed to kill more than my fair share of spring gobblers in my not so humble opinion.

Enough of the booze talking;  I'm gonna slam one at 5:30am tomorrow and notch the damned tag, PDQ.

• Like 6

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

I tapped out this morning around 9:30 AM. It was hot and my glasses kept sliding down my face under my face mask. I think that was my last outing.

Again congrats to all who killed a bird this season. 

• Like 1

Really want to go out, but I'm doing a pool fence tomorrow and Sunday.   I know if I get up tomorrow morning or Sunday morning, the fence won't get done.  

Monday.   The smoker will be fired up. I need stick burner therapy.  Lol.

• Like 1

Made it out this morning for only my 3rd time of the year.  Heard one way off, but hopefully it picks up. Man these skeeters are thick right now. 

Edited by J.B.
  • Like 1

Got one going but he’s out in a field.....we will see if the silent treatment wears him down.  

• Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

9 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

20180526_071554.jpg

Well done Bill , I’ve never called in a turtle . You got the first 3 letters right though turtle / turkey.  Need to change the last 3 letters :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Heard no Gobblers-- but had a 1 hour calling fest with a Real Turkey Hen . She flew off the roost to this Pot. Single slate over 1 layer of wood. Beautiful wood for the Pot  .Not sure type.   Called that hen to me and past me within 15 feet several times!! She was cutting and yelping loud. I was hoping  a Tom would drop by-- but a no go here. Full hour of back and forth calling and she never made me.

Wanted to go today, but too much on the plate. Grandsons baseball tournament, trying to get bass boat ready, and yard work will fill up this day. But "hoping" to get out one last time tomorrow. 

Congrats to all who were successful. Best of luck to all still trying. 

Same here. Intents to get out .  But I am up at 4 am every day for work.  Needed to sleep a little.  And a few cocktails with the GF last night sealed that.  

Good luck everyone.  Ill be out tomorrow for sure

Great pics Trad Bow!!! Leopard wood-- ok. Found that In a half price bucket with fishing lures,etc.  Already put that striker with the pot away together. They will stay together now! Comes out next Oct.

5 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

.we will see if the silent treatment wears him down.  

It did........

3BJ1s7I.jpg

RzM3GFH.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 17

Wanted to go today, but too much on the plate. Grandsons baseball tournament, trying to get bass boat ready, and yard work will fill up this day. But "hoping" to get out one last time tomorrow. 
Congrats to all who were successful. Best of luck to all still trying. 

Where’s the tourney Grampy? Local or a big one? I’m in Bergen, NJ with a 13u program. We won a BIG one in game 1...5 more (yeah- I said 5!?! Borderline child abuse!) to grab a trophy!
Sorry for the hijack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got out today, should have been a perfect morning, i got 1 to gobble at 5:15 to a crow call. He didn't gobble much, I felt he wasn't a "hot" one? Had a buck come in behind me and started snorting, he probably snorted 10-15 times, I never heard that bird again! I did a big circle through the property , checked all the fields, never heard another bird. Called it at 10 as I got "stuff" to do. Hopefully get out tomorrow or Monday morning. I already put in for the 30 and 31 off from work. I won't quit till the proverbial fat lady signs!

• Like 3

Hunt when I can.. ;)

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

It did........

3BJ1s7I.jpg

RzM3GFH.jpg

Congrats Larry! Nice bird! That paint job on the other hand? JK

• Like 3

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Got one on state land in CT for the close. Got in at 5 and had one gobbling where i killed one may 4th. Set up within 15 feet of the tree i shot first bird at.

get all set and put a jake and feeding hen out quietly. Few mins later heard some light yelps from 30-40 yards. I ended up sitting in the middle of a 7 bird roost, only 3 gobblers. 

Luckily, after a few yelps my woodhaven crystal, a gobbler pitched down to 30 yards, strutted 3 times along with coming closer. Pulled the trigger at 20 yards. 5:43am I was picking the bird up. Struck 2 hot birds on way out but it was getting warm and its a long hike out uphill. 

Im done for the season i think. No NY birds this season but 2 CT birds. Happy with what I got. 

Also, the patternmaster code black turkey choke in my SBEII absolutely annhilated this tom. Had blood dripping all over the back of my pants from carrying him back. The carry sack of my vest was pooled when i got back to truck. Highly recommend the choke, it shoots tight out to 50 yards.

Edited by whaler
  • Like 3

GPick up skeet after turkey hunting  in the Goshen Black Dirt. Patti would always say- you are a Redneck for life,LOL!

20180526_131753.jpg

My view this morning ......didn't make the 4 am wake-up call, but I am out anyway. Wind is picking up so the warm temps are very tolerable.8037cfddbb3331ea804351b44e8b54dd.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1