2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

I'm out this morning again. I'm pretty sure the same two i was listening to a couple of days ago are still in close to the same spots hammering away. They are just about to fly down so I'm getting out of here until I check cameras a little later today.

I went to the farm to drop off some firewood for my brother (there's still snow there) and to clear a food plot for a friend.  We heard a tom while the saws weren't running, but I never saw a bird.  Did some driving around and saw almost 20 deer, 3 woodchucks and a young bear.  As soon as I left town, my buddy drove by the farm and saw 2 toms and 8 hens.  

I will be over there for opening day.  I'm starting to think that buying a popup blind might be a good plan.  I hate hunting out of them, but it would help me stay in the woods when it was too wet to work outside.

Sounds like the toms broke up in the last week and half. That’s a relief. 

I think it’s going to be a very good year for the callers this year, for the last 5 or 6 years season started a couple weeks late this year I think season is opening right in the beginning of peak breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I can’t wait to be out there tomorrow! Like a kid on Christmas. All I hope for is no pressure from surrounding properties.  Nothing worse to hear gobbles followed by the constant whaling box call.  It’s like watching a fat chick at a strip club kinda saddening.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

First time turkey hunting tomorrow. Gonna be 75 degrees. No way I’m going in at 5am on my day off from work. Thinking maybe 7ish?

7 will work but listening to the woods wake up those first two hours is priceless! 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

First time turkey hunting tomorrow. Gonna be 75 degrees. No way I’m going in at 5am on my day off from work. Thinking maybe 7ish?

You'll miss the best part.  Listening to the woods wake up and hearing the gobbling from the roost is exciting.  Especially for a first time turkey hunter, get the full affect. 

• Like 2

You'll miss the best part.  Listening to the woods wake up and hearing the gobbling from the roost is exciting.  Especially for a first time turkey hunter, get the full affect. 

I never have pics of them that early. Always like 9am - 1pm

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I never have pics of them that early. Always like 9am - 1pm

You may have it right.  I have always arrived pre light and never kill one.  Usually bored by 9 and leave.  maybe I should be going in late.

You may have it right.  I have always arrived pre light and never kill one.  Usually bored by 9 and leave.  maybe I should be going in late.

Yea I’m thinking if I go at 7, I’ll stay right till 12pm buzzer

Not live, but from the 2nd morning of youth weekend. Heard him gobble in the woods behind the gun club nextdoor. Probably several hundred yards out. Called him out and through the corn field, through my field and into my back yard to with 13 yards.

e26273b5e14001e334ecfcec4a386487.jpgb09982dff2e957f3a83542e3627b521c.jpgbd2609a809ae263da18625d5b81f3414.jpg7d5ca098529d0036aa8514cd98c37024.jpga30fec7fe1d72012538e121ad724111a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 4