ok so sales pitch me......

Robhuntandfish

9 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

One should actually shoot as many different bows as they can, and choose based on what feels and shoots better. Not just what brand name is stamped on it. Elites are great bows, but not for everyone. I shot a couple of them when I was shopping, the Hoyt was a better fit for me.

i do this. i think everyone should. i shot the flagship bow at the time for about every known manufacturer a couple years back in 2007-2008. i ended up with a GanderMountain TecHunter Elite.  tuning it was a bare but when tuned the thing just shot really well and felt good.  i'd shoot in their indoor range. people would 

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You just compared an older high end bow with a newer high end bow lol.

worlds apart. sometimes it's just the indian.

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You just compared an older high end bow with a newer high end bow lol.

This is  true but, bow technologie has come a long ways. Heck I went from a 98 magnatech low end bow with magnesium riser to a 04 protec (top of the line bow )  and did my scores improve nope , but my protec was a  smoother , quieter and lighter bow.Even going from the protec to my 2014 factor ( top of the line bow ) they are like night and day on draw, shootability etc. but my scores did not change. 

Don’t  get me wrong I am not saying not to shoot a high dollar bow, but guys should realize that there shooting may not improve a ton from doing so.. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

as simple as one is though the difference in stacking and drawing on a custom recurve versus a cheaper one is crazy. they're faster somehow too. a good bowyer turning out custom bows is like a magician in my mind. being an engineer i understand materials and limb dynamics. still... magician. 

This is true and the reason I have paid quite a bit for a few of my bows.  Regarding speed, 10fps is a big jump in this arena and honestly makes little difference in the real world.  Smooth and quiet are keys for me.  I was testing two arrows last night through the chrono, one 620g and the other 740 g.  Speed difference on the same bow was 6-7fps.  Guess which one I will be hunting with.

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

And then shooting at game is a completely different ballgame also.  Plenty of expert shots at the range can't hit anything in the hunting fields.  Same goes for gun shooters.  Why spend $1,500 on a bow when you can miss that deer just the same with a $300 bow??  LOL

equipment doesnt overcome buck fever for sure i know some great competition shooters that cant hit a deer to save their lives. the deer dont stand still and seem to make them nervous.. you dont get a minute to aim a a monster buck like you do with a 3ft stabilizer arm attached at a paper target.

but holding a 1 lb lighter bow at full draw makes a big difference in hunting situation

• Like 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

This is true and the reason I have paid quite a bit for a few of my bows.  Regarding speed, 10fps is a big jump in this arena and honestly makes little difference in the real world.  Smooth and quiet are keys for me.  I was testing two arrows last night through the chrono, one 620g and the other 740 g.  Speed difference on the same bow was 6-7fps.  Guess which one I will be hunting with.

740g ... later with even more insert weights? haha

2 minutes ago, rob-c said:

This is  true but, bow technologie has come a long ways. Heck I went from a 98 magnatech low end bow with magnesium riser to a 04 protec (top of the line bow )  and did my scores improve nope , but my protec was a  smoother , quieter and lighter bow.Even going from the protec to my 2014 factor ( top of the line bow ) they are like night and day on draw, shootability etc. but my scores did not change. 

Don’t  get me wrong I am not saying not to shoot a high dollar bow, but guys should realize that there shooting may not improve a ton from doing so.. 

See my comment to dbHunter...

Just now, WNYBuckHunter said:

Not worlds apart really. Maybe in speed and a couple of other relatively minor differences. Or are you saying that guys couldnt consistently hit bullseyes 20 or 30 years ago with the top model bows back then?

no i'm saying they could and still would.  newer bows tuned and fitted definitely make doing so easier though.  if you pay any attention to competitive archery you're starting to see format changes and perfect scores for rounds.  didn't happen as often. still in the context of hunting they both still work. some qualities in newer bows are just better hunting though too. newer bows can have nicer backwalls and valleys that help consistency when in a weird position in a stand or blind. at the end of the day the "best" bow out there isn't going to help you if you're not doing your part.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Ok so Your saying that there’s a difference between a newer lower end bow and newer top of the line bow, but there really isn’t a difference between a 94 super slam and a newer high end bow ? 

No, I’m saying that they are two different comparisons. Low end vs high end and old high end vs new high end. 

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

No, I’m saying that they are two different comparisons. Low end vs high end and old high end vs new high end. 

Got ya, 

so let  me ask this question then, 

do you think a 94  superslam would be a easier , better or more consistent bow to shoot than say a Hoyt charger ? 

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Got ya, 

so let  me ask this question then, 

do you think a 94  superslam would be a easier , better or more consistent bow to shoot than say a Hoyt charger ? 

Possibly. Ill guarantee you that my 8 year old Maxxis is a better, smoother, more consistent bow than a Charger.

For example, I started out with an older, but high end PSE. I shot that bow very well. Nice and consistent, it was smooth, but didnt have a great letoff. I loved that bow right up until I accidentally dropped it out of a tree and cracked a limb. I looked around a bit, but couldnt find a new pair of limbs, so I bought a brand new middle of the road PSE. That freaking bow was a nightmare to tune and I had all kinds of consistency issues with it. I took it and traded it for another middle of the road PSE thinking I just had a bad one. Nope, same deal. After a few years of dinking around with that, I shot a bunch of higher end bows at a friend's prompting. I liked how the Hoyt Maxxis shot, and bought one. Immediately my consistency issues went away, and I just dont have to tune the darn thing very often. I will never ever ever go back to shooting low end bows again. Ever.

16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Possibly. Ill guarantee you that my 8 year old Maxxis is a better, smoother, more consistent bow than a Charger.

For example, I started out with an older, but high end PSE. I shot that bow very well. Nice and consistent, it was smooth, but didnt have a great letoff. I loved that bow right up until I accidentally dropped it out of a tree and cracked a limb. I looked around a bit, but couldnt find a new pair of limbs, so I bought a brand new middle of the road PSE. That freaking bow was a nightmare to tune and I had all kinds of consistency issues with it. I took it and traded it for another middle of the road PSE thinking I just had a bad one. Nope, same deal. After a few years of dinking around with that, I shot a bunch of higher end bows at a friend's prompting. I liked how the Hoyt Maxxis shot, and bought one. Immediately my consistency issues went away, and I just dont have to tune the darn thing very often. I will never ever ever go back to shooting low end bows again. Ever.

Well that was your whole problem right there it was a PSE . Just kidding ^_^.. 

As for the charger I did shoot one and I will tell you for a bottom dollar bow it was a shooter no doubt.i would have bought one but they didn’t offer it in a long draw .  If I remember right the first year Hoyt came out with the charger it was out selling their high end bows , that’s how good of a bow it was . So the next year Hoyt put plastic limb pockets on it to make it less desirable.

we will have to agree to disagree on wether it’s the bow or the person shooting it.

Besides can’t keep having a disagreement with a fellow Hoyt shooter, I mean your a guy that knows quality in a bow when you see it. Now if you shot  a Mathews .....,

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

What I have to offer you today is a Jennings X-master made in 2000 29 inch draw length and 60-90 lbs pull comes with dozen alum arrows muzzy broadheads/field tips quiver and case asking 5000 but will give you a great deal on more BS.LOL!Not for sale just sales pitch.

20 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Well that was your whole problem right there it was a PSE . Just kidding ^_^.. 

As for the charger I did shoot one and I will tell you for a bottom dollar bow it was a shooter no doubt.i would have bought one but they didn’t offer it in a long draw .  If I remember right the first year Hoyt came out with the charger it was out selling their high end bows , that’s how good of a bow it was . So the next year Hoyt put plastic limb pockets on it to make it less desirable.

we will have to agree to disagree on wether it’s the bow or the person shooting it.

Besides can’t keep having a disagreement with a fellow Hoyt shooter, I mean your a guy that knows quality in a bow when you see it. Now if you shot  a Mathews .....,

Im actually thinking of shooting a Triax to see how I like it. Ive heard a ton of good stuff about them. Im not a fanboy of any brand really. If/when I replace my Maxxis or buy a second bow, Ill look at Hoyt first, but no guarantee thats what Ill go with.

The Charger was a nice bow, Ive shot them, but they werent really bottom dollar bows, just bottom dollar for Hoyt lol.

I am also not disagreeing about the person vs a bow thing. Im just saying that in most cases, a high end bow is going to be less of a headache than a low end bow, especially for someone that shoots alot.

• Like 1

Haven’t read all the other posts but I have a Halon the first year they came out. When I bought it I shot all the other brands and the Mathews back wall was the best. Also was very dead in hand just felt really good. After I got my Prime I noticed that I prefer the longer ATA and then felt like the Mathews was a little left to right to hold. I’m a taller guy so I think the longer ATA helps me. Best advice I can give you is shoot them all and leave name brand and loyalty in the parking lot. Archery talk has some great deals at times but the disadvantage to that is ya can’t shoot them first . Good luck 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

And then shooting at game is a completely different ballgame also.  Plenty of expert shots at the range can't hit anything in the hunting fields.  Same goes for gun shooters.  Why spend $1,500 on a bow when you can miss that deer just the same with a $300 bow??  LOL

STYLE!!! LOL. If you are gonna miss, I say look good doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

STYLE!!! LOL. If you are gonna miss, I say look good doing it. 

You do have a point.   Maybe I'll ask BIz to borrow his Weatherby for this years miss during gun season.  At least I won't be going out of pocket for the cost of that gun, yet still look good missing!   LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sodfather said:

Haven’t read all the other posts but I have a Halon the first year they came out. When I bought it I shot all the other brands and the Mathews back wall was the best. Also was very dead in hand just felt really good. After I got my Prime I noticed that I prefer the longer ATA and then felt like the Mathews was a little left to right to hold. I’m a taller guy so I think the longer ATA helps me. Best advice I can give you is shoot them all and leave name brand and loyalty in the parking lot. Archery talk has some great deals at times but the disadvantage to that is ya can’t shoot them first . Good luck 

But you can go shoot the same model bow at a dealer, then buy on AT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Kinda like this guy, hes being an idiot, but he gets style points for being an idiot in a Lambo...

I like the look of disgust his wife/girlfriend has on her face after he did that.  I know someone who didn't get any that night!  LOL

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im actually thinking of shooting a Triax to see how I like it. Ive heard a ton of good stuff about them. Im not a fanboy of any brand really. If/when I replace my Maxxis or buy a second bow, Ill look at Hoyt first, but no guarantee thats what Ill go with.

The Charger was a nice bow, Ive shot them, but they werent really bottom dollar bows, just bottom dollar for Hoyt lol.

I am also not disagreeing about the person vs a bow thing. Im just saying that in most cases, a high end bow is going to be less of a headache than a low end bow, especially for someone that shoots alot.

Before I bought my faktor I shot a few Mathews but just couldn’t warm up to them.didn't care for the grips and how they felt top heavy to me.  I have a 32 inch draw so there’s never a bow in my drawlength to try in the shops. But I have always had very good luck with Hoyt’s.. One bow brand I would like to try out is s Darton, I would like to see how Rex’s cam system feels on the draw..