What the heck happened to broad head prices?

Core

Took this pic a day or two ago at Walmart. A bunch of these are $40. Some rages are $50, Deadmeat is $50. 

This is too much for a few bits of sharp metal.

Please withhold the "Is it worth losing a buck of a life time over a $8 broad head instead of a $15".

Seems like prices are up $10 since last year on all of these...?

Broadheads.JPG

Anything that has to do with archery has gone through the roof as far as prices. That is why I have turned into such a cheapskate. I have killed deer with some amazingly primitive equipment. It has been decades since I played the game of "keeping up with the Joneses" with my bowhunting purchases. I began to feel like a fool that all these manufactures took advantage of. I learned that my old aluminum arrows still kill deer. I also learned that these old broadheads that I purchased years ago still are amazingly lethal. I also found out that it is not necessary to spend $1000 on a bow or to chase the "speed-gods" with constant new bow purchases. The big thing is that I learned that trying to buy a successful hunt is a losing game.

Others can do whatever makes them feel confident, but for me these characters have priced themselves right out of my market with their stinking greed. Now instead of gradually getting me to part with some of my money, their ridiculous prices have changed my whole outlook on what I really "need" to get a deer, and now they get nothing.

• Like 10

I purchased my Bowteck in 2004 and have been happy with it. It has killed a few deer...Mossy oak camo too from early 2000's. No need to switch to another gadget if the stuff I have works. Same mossy oak camo too. A Glass of Merlot and steak after a hunt and I'm a happy camper.

If the broadhead  ferrule  still spines true and the blades are good after I shoot a deer I sharpen or buy replacement blades. 

I still shoot original spitfires and have about 8 heads and a few packages of blades. My son and wife shoot old trufire T1 broadheads, we have like 12 heads and quiet a few extra blades for these. 

we have all killed deer with these old style heads so why switch.but you are 100% correct archery gear prices are getting out of hand. 

Edited by rob-c

2 hours ago, Core said:

Took this pic a day or two ago at Walmart. A bunch of these are $40. Some rages are $50, Deadmeat is $50. 

This is too much for a few bits of sharp metal.

Please withhold the "Is it worth losing a buck of a life time over a $8 broad head instead of a $15".

Seems like prices are up $10 since last year on all of these...?

Broadheads.JPG

In my local Wallyworld not only have prices changed, so have the products.

A few days ago I stopped in to get tags, and I noticed something odd while looking at arrows, CE arrows were not available. Mossy Oak seems to have taken that spot on the shelves, and there were more Easton arrows then usual.

I am making a guess with Easton being sold last year, they might be making a push to sell at Wallyworld more. But, can't for the life of me figure out why CE would pull out.

23 minutes ago, Rob... said:

A few days ago I stopped in to get tags, and I noticed something odd while looking at arrows, CE arrows were not available. Mossy Oak seems to have taken that spot on the shelves, and there were more Easton arrows then usual.

I am making a guess with Easton being sold last year, they might be making a push to sell at Wallyworld more. But, can't for the life of me figure out why CE would pull out.

It’s very difficult to get your product into  Wal Mart, and you do,it their way.

When I worked the shipping dock at the Safe factory, K mart might send in seven tractor trailers and we load them full skids, say 500 of one model 200 of another 150 of another an so on. They’d drive to,their distribution center and break it all down for each store re load and deliver.

Wal Mart , we had to break it all down per store, re skid it all put a label on each Safe and load it in the order of the stores they’d deliver to . So basically we did the work all the others stores did the themselves .

It was idk four to five times the work, but that was just one small part of their demands . My wife handled the Wal Mart account and they’re quite demanding , but if you want to be in their stores you do the work , some don’t and others don’t last long .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s very difficult to get your product into  Wal Mart, and you do,it their way.

When I worked the shipping dock at the Safe factory, K mart might send in seven tractor trailers and we load them full skids, say 500 of one model 200 of another 150 of another an so on. They’d drive to,their distribution center and break it all down for each store re load and deliver.

Wal Mart , we had to break it all down per store, re skid it all put a label on each Safe and load it in the order of the stores they’d deliver to . So basically we did the work all the others stores did the themselves .

It was idk four to five times the work, but that was just one small part of their demands . My wife handled the Wal Mart account and they’re quite demanding , but if you want to be in their stores you do the work , some don’t and others don’t last long .

I've heard the same. Their way or the highway and they demand almost no margin from their "partners", but manufacturers/producers put up with it because volume is insane if they get in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Anything that has to do with archery has gone through the roof as far as prices. That is why I have turned into such a cheapskate. I have killed deer with some amazingly primitive equipment. It has been decades since I played the game of "keeping up with the Joneses" with my bowhunting purchases. I began to feel like a fool that all these manufactures took advantage of. I learned that my old aluminum arrows still kill deer. I also learned that these old broadheads that I purchased years ago still are amazingly lethal. I also found out that it is not necessary to spend $1000 on a bow or to chase the "speed-gods" with constant new bow purchases. The big thing is that I learned that trying to buy a successful hunt is a losing game.

Others can do whatever makes them feel confident, but for me these characters have priced themselves right out of my market with their stinking greed. Now instead of gradually getting me to part with some of my money, their ridiculous prices have changed my whole outlook on what I really "need" to get a deer, and now they get nothing.

I think it's like this in so many sports. I used to get a kick out of beating people on my "cheap" bike in races when they were on much better ones, but the difference in the equipment is so small once you graduate past entry level that it comes down to training and time devoted. I'm still on the first bow I bought for the 2015 season and have no intentions at all of getting rid of it. I'm accurate, it's reliable. I use arrows that are a few dollars a piece and I group great with them, time and again. 

I never understood why anyone would pay so much money for stuff, like $1000 for a bow, when you can spend a hell of a lot less and get the same results. My bow was $400 loaded with everything I needed for it and that was 6 years ago. I shoot the cheapest arrows I can for it and it kills deer just fine. I buy stuff like broadheads from Amazon because they are cheaper. 

• Like 2

Deer are improving year after year.  I can assure you that unless you buy the most expensive bow, arrows and accessories you have no chance!

oh I forgot, you also to pay top dollar for a high fence hunt.  

Anythibg less and you are just kidding yourself that you are a hunter.  

Gotta go put together my $25,000 robotic decoy.  That spike I have been eyeing up is in trouble now!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You think all the marketing Rage does comes cheap?

They probably spend more on advertising than they do producing their heads........

Not cheap for sure lol.. I buy a pack every couple years or so. I've shot 2-3-4 deer with one head. Just sharpen or replace bent blades. The only way I go through many broadheads is passing through and hitting a rock or losing the arrow completely. And now I use lighted nocks so that is rare. I also shoot $50-$60 a dozen arrows and shoot quarter size groups all day long. I've learned to only shoot an arrow or two per spot so I don't ruin shafts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 9:24 PM, landtracdeerhunter said:

Glad I bought a bunch of Steel Force broadheads years ago for something like $14 a three pack. They had lifetime sharping if they were sent back to the company. Don't even know if their around any more.

Yeah they are. Made in the US too.

That's quite a selection for a walmart. The one near me doesn't have that much hunting stuff but they have expanded the fishing section quite a bit over the years.

• Like 1