So whats a "shooter" buck.... For you.

Robhuntandfish

I didn't think this was complicated. shoot enough bb's and you'll get less 1.5, 2.5's etc. Guys will complain. And those wmu's with ARs (you're not breaking anything to me) will just expand update. So like I said, you can practice good QDM  and we can keep our freedoms of shooting what we want, or we can brown it's down until the state takes action. Right now it's in all of our hands. 

I understand your point but I can’t remember a bow season that I didn’t see at least ten different yearlings. The woods are lousy with them so I don’t think the killing of BBs is a huge factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, wooly said:

I have a very strict criteria for what kind of buck is a shooter to me.

Requirement #1 is it must have some kind of antler....even better if it has TWO antlers!

That's really my ONLY requirement.:biggrin:

Most of the time I'll shoot for something within this range!

aaa1.jpg.cf28bda4acd8420d33e45a54e946a252.jpgaaa2.jpg.10bad1e902ecb7c3289a3f0af3988af9.jpg

That top buck has a unique set of antlers.

• Like 4

Personally I make that decision in the moment. I shoot plenty of doe every year so I don't feel the need to shoot a buck I wont be happy with. I havent shot a buck since 2015 and I wont care much if I don't get a buck this year. Now If im out In Long Island on public land and its the end of the season, ill probably take any buck that walks by. Im more than happy just killing does though. The meat is just as good. 

For me there's alot of variables involved like how empty is my freezer, where I'm hunting, how late in the season is it. Last year I was going for 6 or better and had one shot on an 8 point and missed. I had a freezer malfunction this summer and lost 90 percent of my venison so this year I prably would shoot a decent bodied 4 pt.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Belo said:

so the guy who shoots deer in the ass and relies on jesus to guide his arrow is going to lecture me on his skilled precision shooting :rolleyes:

thank you for reminding me why I left this place for a while. I really don't care what you shoot and how you shoot it. If you think killing button bucks is good for the sport and the herd. have at it.

good grief.

Thank you for adding His Holy name in yet another thread.  That is way better than when I have to be the one to do it every time.   There simply can not be too much of Him on a hunting web-site, since it is He who determines the fate of all living things.  It is hard to exaggerate how much easier hunting (and fishing) gets, after making that connection.   You are damn right that I rely on Him to guide my arrows.  The fact is, I rely on Him for everything, including allowing me to draw my next breath.   I may have never pulled off a "perfect" shot, but that infamous Texas heart shot, to which you refer, was as close as I ever came to doing it.   

My definition of a "perfect shot" (in order of importance):  1) Safe shot that does not put other people, property, or animals at risk,  2) Kills the deer quickly with minimal suffering 3) Strikes on the intended point of aim 4) Point of aim is such to provide the largest circular room for error for the given shot angle 5) Shot results in minimal destruction of edible meat 6) Shot does not add mess or difficulty to the "gutting" job.  7) Results in an easy recovery with minimal tracking distance.

The only "glitches" with that THS was on #5: The heart was struck up high, costing me a little edible meat (my wife likes to pickle those for me on Valentines day every year,  and the expanding bullet took out a neck roast on it's way out. I have heard a few other have pulled off that shot, but all of them struggled mightily with #6.      

As far as your "thin skin" goes, I am sorry there is nothing I can do to help you there.  If you need a break on occasion, I don't see a big problem with that.  I do enjoy your posts which seem very honest for the most part.   When you take a swipe that hits me (such as your comment "hopefully you don't shoot at running deer, right ?", you need to be prepared to defend yourself.   I am certainly not going to take crap like that, and neither are many others here, as you should know well by now.  Hence my tip for you: Think a little bit (of how others may react) prior to hitting "submit".   

Good luck hunting this season.  Getting this thread back on track: I hope He provides you, and all NY hunters, with the deer which meet your harvest criteria this season.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine like others will change day to day. I’ve never taken a monster buck best so far is a big body but small racked 7 pointer. Early in the season I try for a 6 point with a nice rack or better. If it gets late in the season with no meat in the freezer that might change. I have been fortunate enough to get a doe the last bunch of years by the 2nd weekend of the regular season.

This will be my 3rd year in the woods bow hunting so I really hope to get something then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my local friends call me " Clarkie"....

It has become a standing joke that when they see a  tiny scrub rack, half rack or busted up rack they refer to it as a " Clarkie buck"....   Probably a PERFECT Clarkie buck would be a one horned spike, and I've shot a few of those...Hehehe...

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

Most of my local friends call me " Clarkie"....

It has become a standing joke that when they see a  tiny scrub rack, half rack or busted up rack they refer to it as a " Clarkie buck"....   Probably a PERFECT Clarkie buck would be a one horned spike, and I've shot a few of those...Hehehe...

I am still waiting on one of those myself, but I did take one once (about 30 years ago) who's pair measured about 3-1/4".   

Just now, wolc123 said:

I am still waiting on one of those myself, but I did take one once (about 30 years ago) who's pair measured about 3-1/4".   

A friend of mine had one that I shot at his camp in Pa mounted for me, as a joke ( antler mount)...

It has twin horns, but they measure 2 3/4".....OOPS !!….Hopefully the statute of limitations has expired....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

A friend of mine had one that I shot at his camp in Pa mounted for me, as a joke ( antler mount)...

It has twin horns, but they measure 2 3/4".....OOPS !!….Hopefully the statute of limitations has expired....

We need a "tiny rack" thread.  I cut a tiny 3-pointer off earlier this week, that got struck by a car and ended up at the end of our driveway. The antlers curve inward rather than out, for what may be the narrowest inside spread that I have ever seen on a whitetail.  I will try to get a photo of it with a tape measure if and when such a thread starts.    

"HuntingNY 2018 lowest scoring rack thread"

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Belo said:

I didn't think this was complicated. shoot enough bb's and you'll get less 1.5, 2.5's etc. Guys will complain. And those wmu's with ARs (you're not breaking anything to me) will just expand update. So like I said, you can practice good QDM  and we can keep our freedoms of shooting what we want, or we can brown it's down until the state takes action. Right now it's in all of our hands. 

I suppose it would follow that the best way to provide the biggest racks would be to make buck hunting illegal completely. All in favor raise your hand....lol.

Actually, the state is perfectly happy the way things are right now. They are interested in getting control of deer numbers of any size and they actually prefer that you harvest antlerless deer to do that. And if an occasional button buck gets harvested, that's just the way things go sometimes. That's basically collateral damage. The AR push really comes from guys who are intent on insinuating themselves into the lives and goals of other hunters.

• Like 2

Until 5 years ago I was a Brown and down Hunter. Being on the PA border area and seeing what the antler restrictions have done for PA has changed my thinking some. I have spent most of my life hunting high pressure areas that rarely see older bucks survive. For the past several years I have passed smaller bucks in archery season waiting for something bigger. That being said, I can not remember a year that I didn't get a doe in the freezer. Some years I have literally filled my doe tag on the last days of muzzleloader season, multiple times in the last 30 minutes. Last year was my best year for deer sightings and I have to admit that just seeing the amount of deer was as much fun as harvesting them.

A "trophy" is very much dependant on the person harvesting the deer. This will be my 28th season in the woods and have never shot a buck larger than a 5 point. The last 5 years, I am the only person in our hunting group who hasn't harvested at least an 8 point. My one buddy who is fortunate enough to take 3 weeks of vacation during the peak rut has harvested a mature buck for each of the last 5 years. Last year, I was the only one of us to not harvest a buck. My time will come..... Hopefully this year.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I don’t shoot does. My area upstate 4p and 4r do not have enough deer to be shooting does. When the 3 pt rule came in I shot a couple of fives and sixes. Now I only shoot eights.

I hunt Orange County some times and I will shoot a small buck if I’m in the mood.

On LI I shoot every deer I see or have tags for. It’s a cull hunt.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:38 AM, Doc said:

I suppose it would follow that the best way to provide the biggest racks would be to make buck hunting illegal completely. All in favor raise your hand....lol.

Actually, the state is perfectly happy the way things are right now. They are interested in getting control of deer numbers of any size and they actually prefer that you harvest antlerless deer to do that. And if an occasional button buck gets harvested, that's just the way things go sometimes. That's basically collateral damage. The AR push really comes from guys who are intent on insinuating themselves into the lives and goals of other hunters.

I think some of you are misinterpreting my comment. I was only stating, that we should try to not shoot bb's. 

As far as the state being happy? Maybe you're right, but I have to imagine their campaign cost some money. So why do it?

1_680.jpg.644x0_q85.jpg