Ready for the SZ opener on November 3rd

wolc123

On 10/25/2018 at 3:43 PM, fasteddie said:

Soooo , I went down in the basement to see if I could cock the crossbow . No go . Forgot that I had to have it on "FIRE" and the hooks over not under . Still no go . I took my backup cocking device and shortened the rope and tried again . BINGO ! Shot the X-bow a couple times just to make sure and will have to check it out in the back yard this weekend . 

Good to hear! That's the trick with using rope cockers on Xbows, getting the rope as short as possible.

Reminder - Everyone have their dumb-a$$ DEC Xbow cert signed & on them?

• Like 1

Shot my Excalibur this past weekend. Still lights out. I’ll be out there Saturday, Sunday, Monday with my Dad.

He killed his xBow buck on 11/8/17 and I killed mine on 11/5/16, so based on the past 2 years this weekend could be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Core said:

Chomping at the damn bit to get out. I made a total cluster out of bow season this year and my sniper 370 will avenge me.

Of course it looks like the weather continues to suck, so maybe it will be dry Sunday?

Chomping here too.   I just checked the long range forecast and made a plans for what stands to hit on Saturday and Sunday.  Rain early Saturday and SW wind will keep me in my enclosed two-story blind at home (top level is open).  I will go upstairs when the rain lets up as the view is better from up there.  I am not sure what bucks remain around here.  A neighbor nailed the big one a couple weeks ago, so there is no telling what will have moved in by now.  I would be very thankful for my first antlerless deer with my crossbow (especially if it is a fat button-buck).  

Saturday afternoon, I am heading to my folks place, where there might still be a big, wide eight around, although they have not seen him in about a week.  I did see a large-bodied fork-horn, with one side broke off, walk right up to my new pop-up blind over there last Sunday afternoon.  That big body will tempt me, if he offers a shot, although I usually look for at least three points on a side to punch my buck tags during the first half of the season(s).   I can not hunt that pop-up that day because my sister is planning an afternoon "haunted hayride" in the area.  I will be up in a hang-on stand at the far corner of the property.  Hopefully they "scare" the deer over that way.  I will pack my tree umbrella in case the afternoon rain they are calling for shows up when I am up there. 

I can't hunt early Sunday, but the weather looks great, and the deer should be moving all day during that peak-rut time.  I will be out at home, from late-morning to dark, in a stand that has produced the last two times I used it.  They say "things usually happen in threes" so I will find out if that is true on Sunday.      

edit: Chomping even more now.  I just dropped the girls off for tricker-treating, in a nearby subdivision, and we saw (3) deer exiting our block on the way.  The last one was a wide-bodied 2.5 year old buck that I had to get on the breaks real hard in order to miss with my car.  Had I been driving my truck or my wife's mini-van, I would have tagged him for sure.   There will be no passing of that one on Saturday or Sunday, with a big body and 8 or 10 points to go with it.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I set up a blind in my back yard so I could check out my Sniper 370 as it has been raining . Shot a few bolts at 20 yards and moved the scope 8 clicks to the right . Still have to check it at 25 and 30 yards . I plan to hunt with my oldest son this Saturday . I took NYSlowhands advice and shortened the cocking rope a couple more inches . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m thinking I still go sat morning in rain. It should end by 9-11am then I’ll already be there when they start to move

Thats my plan.  Can only hunt sunday morning and i havent put anytime in yet this year compared to others.  First xbow season so im staying in stand as long as possible. Just not sure where im going yet.

• Like 1

Weather kind of holding. if it's good saturday evening I may just try that, but otherwise I'm going to attack Sunday without mercy. First thing (damn that time change), then come back for the afternoon if necessary. By golly I will be pulling a deer out of the woods this weekend even if I have to find roadkill, haul it into the woods, then back out.

• Like 2

Planning on hunting in Mendon Saturday . Wind in the am is WNW then NW . Wind changes from 9mph at 7am to 21 mph at noon . then 22 mph WNW at 1 pm and up to 25 mph then back to 22 mph at 5 pm . Hmmmmmmmm .....what to do . 
Sunrise 7:47 
Sunset 6:00

Go for it! I’m gonna and hope they move post rain before heavy wind!

14 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Planning on hunting in Mendon Saturday . Wind in the am is WNW then NW . Wind changes from 9mph at 7am to 21 mph at noon . then 22 mph WNW at 1 pm and up to 25 mph then back to 22 mph at 5 pm . Hmmmmmmmm .....what to do . 

Sunrise 7:47 

Sunset 6:00

I hunted Mendon last year with moog and phade. I was so impressed, with the bucks and buck sign there!!!  Best of luck to ya Eddie!

IM not liking that wind forecast for Sat afternoon much either.  Sat morning might work. No rain in my forecast until 9, but winds are beginning to pick up.  Maybe Ill go find some Canadians to shoot later morning.

I got no issues with dragging deer in 60mph wind gusts. Just gotta kill early

Talked to my sons and we changed our minds about hunting Saturday . Wind and rain the factor . Going to go to Geneseo and get my elevated blind finished , do some trimming and check the ratchet straps on some ladder stands . 

I did shoot my Sniper 370 at 30 yards today . Shot at 3 different spots so as not to ruin any bolts . If I could only relax when I shoot the crossbow I would be okay . 

crossbow 30 yards.jpg

• Like 2

I'm going out on Sunday. Weather conditions look much more favorable than Saturday, and I need tomorrow to get my gear in order. Like a lot of folks this year, haven't been able to focus much on hunting, but will try to get into it now that the season is upon us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That’s why I never shoot more than 1 bolt at the same target. Just asking for broken bolts and $ lost

I was holding center of the yellow circle to test the zero out of the box.  I definitely wasn't expecting it to shoot frikken laser beams!  No shared shots on target after the first 3.