Stepson enlisted in the Marines today

Jdubs

Being a military combat veteran with the army i think it's the best decision one could ever make. I think all kids right out of school should do at least 2 years. It's all about maturity wise and gives you love experience instead of depending on mommy and daddy. Tell him best of luck and enjoy the experience. God bless him.

• Like 4

Congrats to him and tell him thank you for wanting to protect the country.  Second tell him not to get any tattoos of anything marine corp.  My BIL did this after my dad who had 3 brothers in told him it wouldnt  be in his best interest until he graduated boot camp. Yea he went with the globe and anchor tattoo on his arm and forgot to remove his nipple rings.  All he said is they let him know he screwed up.  Lol

• Like 1

Not a Marine by any means. Thank you to your stepson for taking on the job, however. It's a big commitment. Trust your friends and always watch your "six". That's what my SEAL buddy told me. I can only assume it works for the Marines as well.

Edited by philoshop
  • Like 3

ANOTHER damn Jarhead......JUST KIDDING,   even though Marines did their best to make my life miserable  as a sailor, I appreciate their service  !!  I can understand why they were such miserable pricks.. When I was snuggled up in my rack, not having  to get up until 7:30 or so, those poor marines were out doing calisthentics at 6:00 AM every morning...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Semper fi ! He's lucky that in Feb the sand flies are pretty much gone. They are a real bugger. My advise, keep a low profile. Stay motivated. Start doing push ups now. Don't worry about puking when you run, just keep running. Don't let the DI's get in your head or they will eat you up. Don't point your rifle up range during qualifications. Don't drink bleach or try to harm yourself or tell them you quit and want to go home as you will be on the island longer as they keep you there for "psych eval". Don't be a shitbird. If he's a smoker tell him to NOT start again once he's out. That's what comes to mind quickly, as they are all things I learned. And no I didn't want to quit or drink bleach but some guys in my platoon did.... Dummy's.

Most important, embrace the eagle globe and anchor once it's placed in your hands. Takes some hard work, mental and psychical to get through those 3 months.... But totally worth it.

Enjoy the vacation to a fantastic island down south!

Oh, and if he goes to camp lejune after keep your Willy to yourself, it's the aids capital of the country.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Get in shape now,running,pushups,situps and pullups because he will need to pass the initial qualifier the first few days after get gets processed.  When doing the qualifier do not quit,if you fail you get sent to pcp(porkchop platoon)to get extra physical training which just keeps you on the island longer.  Also he needs to keep reminding himself they really aren't trying to kill him,although at times it seems that they really are,lol.  If he is good physically it will mostly be a mental challenge,that's what got most of the guys in my training platoon.  Also dont take food or jelly packets from the mess hall to eat in your rack at night,you always get caught and they will put the whole platoon in the pit or on the line in the squad bay which does not make friends.  Also get good at sitting Indian style with your back straight,that one killed me after an hour straight.

• Like 3

Keep a low profile, stay concentrated on drill, physical fitness, academic training and don't think about home as it can distract your progress. That is what helped me thru basic training. And listen to your Drill Instructors, you will probably hate them at first but they are the ones that will help make you a Marine...it is up to you to do the rest!

• Like 1

Understand, that it's the DI's job to break down any sense if individuality. This is necessary, so that the unit as a whole, functions together as one. Besides the physical shock in the beginning, this breaking you down to rebuild you, will be the toughest adjustment to military life.

I was Army, not Marines. But they both use similar techniques to accomplish the same thing with new recruits. 

Once you become a warrior, the warrior spirit will live within you for the rest of your days. Fellow warriors will share a common bond. 

When you next see him, he'll be different, yet the same.

Good luck and God speed to him.

• Like 3

Get in shape now,running,pushups,situps and pullups because he will need to pass the initial qualifier the first few days after get gets processed.  When doing the qualifier do not quit,if you fail you get sent to pcp(porkchop platoon)to get extra physical training which just keeps you on the island longer.  Also he needs to keep reminding himself they really aren't trying to kill him,although at times it seems that they really are,lol.  If he is good physically it will mostly be a mental challenge,that's what got most of the guys in my training platoon.  Also dont take food or jelly packets from the mess hall to eat in your rack at night,you always get caught and they will put the whole platoon in the pit or on the line in the squad bay which does not make friends.  Also get good at sitting Indian style with your back straight,that one killed me after an hour straight.
Exactly! Do It Now! Push yourself beyond, Now! if you do not,YOU WILL PAY! Basics is just as much a mind game as it is a muscle game. Good luck and Semper Fi! From a 6yr Army dude.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

On 10/27/2018 at 3:59 PM, BigVal said:

I'm from a marine family, with the exception of my dad who a seal. Tons of friends are Marines as well, it's a great decision, one that he won't regret.

Thank you!  I think it's the best choice he could have made.