LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

So these two were shot yesterday, but I was too tired to post about it when i got home. Those that have me on instagram saw it already. Going to be a long one so sorry.

I got to my stand around 6:10 and was enjoying the nice cold temps until 6:22 when a deer blew 5 times behind me down wind. With the way things have been going for me for the last few months I was already in a bad mood thinking my morning was shot already. I was trying to be hopeful and around 7:42 I heard wha sounded like a couple steps behind me and when I turned I had a fawn standing broadside at 10 yards. I moved really slowly to grab my bow and get up, but at that time the neighbor decided he wanted to ride his quad down to his horses to feed them. The deer are used to us, but it decided to run 10 yards into some thick stuff. It stopped in a small window at about 23 yards quartering away and I figured its now or never. I took the shot and heard a good thump and watched him run away with its tail down. I thought I heard a crash, but I couldnt see where I hit it so I didnt want to rush to conclusions. The path it ran down has a trail cam on it and has very tall grass so I didnt want to walk down it and pick up a tick again. I circled around to where it should have came out in a small grassy opening and found a few drops of blood. I looked for more blood for the next hour and couldnt find anymore. I was getting really discouraged and decided to walk down a path it might have gone down but found nothing. Its all tall grass around as you can see so i remeber telling my self I could walk with in feet of it and not see it. Just at that time I look to my left and see it in the grass off the trail. It was a high quarter away lung shot so the cavity was filled with blood. I dragged it 200 yards to where i skin and quarter all my deer and by the end I was sweating like a pig and exhausted. I packed it in my car and decided to take out my shotgun and see if I can take a quick walk nd get a turkey.

I usually can get a fall turkey in the spot easily and right where I thought they could be I see a small flock in the brush. I stalked up to about 30 yards, but it was so thick I didnt want to risk shooting into the brush. I waiting till i thought they were far enough and crawled into the brush. I heard a few yelps and looked up to seeing the flock out in the field edge abour 20 yards away. I looked to my right and saw a lone hen abour 30 yards out in the thick brush again. She finally popped her head out and i took the shot. Perfect head shot and not a bb in the body. 

I decided to sit in the afternoon because I have limited hunting time so I figured I might as well stay. I sat a different stand, but told my self Id only shoot a big buck, since I was too tired to drag another deer 900 yards. Well I got tested when i had 4 deer (2 bucks and 2 fawns) literally walking circles around my stand for 40 min ranging at 10-20 yards. I finally made an adult decision and passed them up so I can actually make it home with out falling asleep driving. Ill be back out at that other stand to take one of those deer. Im seeing a lot of fawns alone. The deer I got came in alone and it was a button buck. Little odd for this time of year if you ask me. 

When I finally did get out of my stand, I ended up running into some rabbits and took one with my bow. A first for me so I had a pretty good day.
IMG_0512.jpgIMG_0516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 24

16 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

After a couple frustrating encounters with this buck, he seems to magically appear under an Apple tree that just covered up in wild rose and grapevines and I can never get a shot, I finally snuck an arrow into him this morning. I’ll put the better part of the story in the harvest thread ba30b0f8b49786bd30baa3e2c48b53df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Way to go Tacks!! Clarence or Chautaugua?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Another day filled with nothing at all. Next Saturday is a no go and might just skip Sunday as well. Take a little break from getting up early and exhausting myself.

My thoughts too but come friday ill be ready to get right back at it like a fool.cam shows one pic at 1:07am.lame!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

So these two were shot yesterday, but I was too tired to post about it when i got home. Those that have me on instagram saw it already. Going to be a long one so sorry.

I got to my stand around 6:10 and was enjoying the nice cold temps until 6:22 when a deer blew 5 times behind me down wind. With the way things have been going for me for the last few months I was already in a bad mood thinking my morning was shot already. I was trying to be hopeful and around 7:42 I heard wha sounded like a couple steps behind me and when I turned I had a fawn standing broadside at 10 yards. I moved really slowly to grab my bow and get up, but at that time the neighbor decided he wanted to ride his quad down to his horses to feed them. The deer are used to us, but it decided to run 10 yards into some thick stuff. It stopped in a small window at about 23 yards quartering away and I figured its now or never. I took the shot and heard a good thump and watched him run away with its tail down. I thought I heard a crash, but I couldnt see where I hit it so I didnt want to rush to conclusions. The path it ran down has a trail cam on it and has very tall grass so I didnt want to walk down it and pick up a tick again. I circled around to where it should have came out in a small grassy opening and found a few drops of blood. I looked for more blood for the next hour and couldnt find anymore. I was getting really discouraged and decided to walk down a path it might have gone down but found nothing. Its all tall grass around as you can see so i remeber telling my self I could walk with in feet of it and not see it. Just at that time I look to my left and see it in the grass off the trail. It was a high quarter away lung shot so the cavity was filled with blood. I dragged it 200 yards to where i skin and quarter all my deer and by the end I was sweating like a pig and exhausted. I packed it in my car and decided to take out my shotgun and see if I can take a quick walk nd get a turkey.

I usually can get a fall turkey in the spot easily and right where I thought they could be I see a small flock in the brush. I stalked up to about 30 yards, but it was so thick I didnt want to risk shooting into the brush. I waiting till i thought they were far enough and crawled into the brush. I heard a few yelps and looked up to seeing the flock out in the field edge abour 20 yards away. I looked to my right and saw a lone hen abour 30 yards out in the thick brush again. She finally popped her head out and i took the shot. Perfect head shot and not a bb in the body. 

I decided to sit in the afternoon because I have limited hunting time so I figured I might as well stay. I sat a different stand, but told my self Id only shoot a big buck, since I was too tired to drag another deer 900 yards. Well I got tested when i had 4 deer (2 bucks and 2 fawns) literally walking circles around my stand for 40 min ranging at 10-20 yards. I finally made an adult decision and passed them up so I can actually make it home with out falling asleep driving. Ill be back out at that other stand to take one of those deer. Im seeing a lot of fawns alone. The deer I got came in alone and it was a button buck. Little odd for this time of year if you ask me. 

When I finally did get out of my stand, I ended up running into some rabbits and took one with my bow. A first for me so I had a pretty good day.
IMG_0512.jpgIMG_0516.jpg

Now that's a full damn day. Congrats.  Great day. 

• Like 2

Next weekend is when it starts to take off!

Says the guy that just arrowed a nice buck.

Saturday is definitely a no go but I’ll probably be dumb enough to wake up on Sunday morning with 5 hours of sleep and possibly hungover.

• Like 1

Says the guy that just arrowed a nice buck.

Saturday is definitely a no go but I’ll probably be dumb enough to wake up on Sunday morning with 5 hours of sleep and possibly hungover.

Bow season does nothing but get better until the very last day, that’s a stone cold fact!

• Like 4

Well ill post up...

Hit a buck at 910 this a.m. sat till 930 and walked out. Hit was back like liver maybe back of liver intestine area but slight quartered towards the chest. Arrow was in the deer up to the nock. Came back out at 1130 to look around. I can not find a spec of blood anywere. Ill post a grid on a deer pic. Id say D9,S10 line. Did about a 100, 150 yard grid cant find anything. Backed out again. I have a call into deer search. If i dint here back i have my father and 2 buddies coming at 5pm to go search again. I know its gonna die, just dont know were or when.

FB_IMG_1507772388935.jpg