What's the farthest/shortest shot you've made.

mowin

Did you go to the Biz school of marksmanship?  That is a poke for us NE-ers.
Nah I taught biz all he knows. And that's the beauty of knowing your Weatherby Mark V ultralightweight .300 Wby Mag with custom handloads I made specifically for that hunt. An absolute laser beam!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bow - Both of my deer harvests with the bow were about 20 yds +/-. I shot a coyote with the bow at 45 yds +/-

Crossbow - only 1 deer harvest, again about 20 yds +/-. 

Shotgun - I hunted a shotgun only zone for most of my young deer hunting years. 16- early 20's. I was sitting on the ground against a tree and a deer came flying up the ridge and stopped right in front of me. So close I wasn't sure what to do. About 5 feet away I just moved my 12guage 870 a little bit and fired from the hip and the little BB flopped over. I still regret shooting that deer even though I was young. I just didn't feel good about shooting a deer that way and the harassment from shooting a BB in camp didn't help. My longest shot with the shotgun was only about 50 yds. 

Rifle - I have been hunting with a rifle for over 20 years now and I haven't taken a shot over 100 yds. I very rarely hunt fields, and when I have a shot has never presented itself. All the deer I have taken have been in the woods and at 75 yds or less..

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

At least with a gun, it was last year.  I had a doe at 50yds, rested in a blind.  Missed.  Shot again, another clean miss.  Then realized I may never have sighted in the scope on my 220 after swapping it over the summer.  Thought I did but clearly it was way off.   My daughter and I just watched her walk away.   Lesson learned.  Hunted with my ML rest of the gun season.  I did sight in the 220 since then. 

So I’ll let you decide, is it a case of to many guns to remember or chalk it up to a (cough clearing throat)   senior moment :huh:......

even though I don’t believe you or I are that old yet :derisive: 

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So I’ll let you decide, is it a case of to many guns to remember or chalk it up to a (cough clearing throat)   senior moment :huh:......

even though I don’t believe you or I are that old yet :derisive: 

I was sighting in too many guns last season.  Bad move that I never got to my primary shotgun.  lol  I guess it could be part senior moment too as I did think I got to them all.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

crossbow 4 yards, farthest 35

bow 4 yards , farthest 35 

Funny they are the same.  

Gun closest 5 yards, and farthest 130.  With a 20 gauge 220 Savage. 

My closest miss with a bow is straight down. Cut hairs right down a does back and side. 

Missed a deer when I was 16 with open sights 30/30 at 8 yards. Lol buck fever for sure. 

shortest was 5 steps to a turkey on the ground. deer both from ground or from a treestand were something around 10 yards.

longest was something close to either 413 or 425 yards (deer with forearm on rail and shooting sticks on the back butt stock). head shot was on a woodchuck at 312 ish i think it was (prone with a bipod).  head shot for a deer was just over 200 yards (my zero, and with a solid rest).  all distances were from a Bushnell or Nikon lazer rangefinder depending on how long ago it was.

440yds Mule Deer for me.

Closest not really sure. Could have shot several small bucks with bow under 10 yards but passed them. Shot a few deer with shotgun under 15yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man for all the 300yard plus shots what is your bullet drop, has to be 15in plus no ?  

My closest is 10 yards furthest is 75 yards in the good old Adks...

Edited by sbuff

22 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

With the right caliber sighted in. You aim just like you would any other weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 yds has some real drop and wind influence with any caliber. 

Ex. 6.5 creedmoor (great ballistics) still has a 33" drop and 17" drift from 200-500yds with a 10mph crosswind.

Edited by moog5050

1 minute ago, sbuff said:

At that far there are to many variables that can go wrong for me to take a shot. Shooting a gong is one thing, an animal another . Congrats to all who have made those long range shots .

I don't practice that far which means I should not take a kill shot that far.    Luckily it really hasn't hindered by hunting.  I agree that 300 plus is a poke, for me at least.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I don't practice that far which means I should not take a kill shot that far.    Luckily it really hasn't hindered by hunting.  I agree that 300 plus is a poke, for me at least.

same here .  200 with a rifle is my cutoff.  Would go 250 on a moose with my 06 though.  But i dont practice that far so not taking the chance, just dont feel comfortable.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

same here .  200 with a rifle is my cutoff.  Would go 250 on a moose with my 06 though.  But i dont practice that far so not taking the chance, just dont feel comfortable.   

If treeguy is calling yardage, I may take some 3-400yd shots on yotes thinking its 150-ISH!

• Haha 1

Turkey closest was 15 feet, longest was 49 yards, bow kill was 32 yds.

Deer, bow, closest straight down, furthest was 32 yards

Deer gun, closest was 8 yards Shotgun slug, furthest was 278 yds 30-06

Longest shot was in Africa, Gemsbok, 309 yards.

296648_10151038246837647_767345935_n.jpg

Edited by Grizz1219
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Guess that's what I'm saying too. My gun club range is only 150 yards  I think. 

11 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Turkey closest was 15 feet, longest was 49 yards, bow kill was 32 yds.

Deer, bow, closest straight down, furthest was 32 yards

Deer gun, closest was 8 yards Shotgun slug, furthest was 278 yds 30-06

Longest shot was in Africa, Gemsbok, 309 yards.

296648_10151038246837647_767345935_n.jpg

Beauty!