Devastated :(

Iluvracks1359

So last year I was super excited that my uncle finally let me hunt his 107 acre farm.. it was all mine.. I took last year to really learn the land and I had a game plan to take a really nice buck that I knew was gonna be in there.. and then he sold the land! And again I have no where to hunt:( I'm going to ask the new land owner for permission,  but its certainly not a guarantee and it looks like theq3wy wont close til late september at the earliest.. leaving me zero time to put cameras out and scout.. as they have asked me to remove my stands and cameras from the land for now... I'm absolutely devastated and stuck with no land to hunt again:(. I guess it's time to start saving my pennies and just purchase my own plot 20 years from now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Try to contact the new owner and offer to lease and if they hunt ask permission only for yourself and tell them you will always let them know when and where you plan to hunt. Also ask if you can help out around the farm in exchange. I've been where you are and it's not easy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

Try to contact the new owner and offer to lease and if they hunt ask permission only for yourself and tell them you will always let them know when and where you plan to hunt. Also ask if you can help out around the farm in exchange. I've been where you are and it's not easy.

I plan on trying this.. the offer has been on the table for a month now and my aunt and uncle just decided they were going to accept it, so I've literally been going through my mind trying to decide what I'm gonna say, and how I'm going to say it. Honest question.. should I write them a letter? I think no because it gives them an easier way to not answer me by just ignoring the letter.

I also am not sure how I'm gunna get the new land owners info.. I might legit have to camp out, outside the property til he shows up.. lol.  They are doing lease to by, and from what I know.. his goal is to make a hobby farm out of it, so he wont be there all the time.. . 

Edited by Iluvracks1359

Someway, somehow, if you are determined, and resourceful enough, you will figure out something that will work for you. There is definitely an opportunity out there! You just have to find it! Be it your uncles old property, or somewhere else.

I truely wish you all the best!

• Like 1

I plan on trying this.. the offer has been on the table for a month now and my aunt and uncle just decided they were going to accept it, so I've literally been going through my mind trying to decide what I'm gonna say, and how I'm going to say it. Honest question.. should I write them a letter? I think no because it gives them an easier way to not answer me by just ignoring the letter.
 I also am not sure how I'm gunna get the new land owners info.. I might legit have to camp out, outside the property til he shows up.. lol.  They are doing lease to by, and from what I know.. his goal is to make a hobby farm out of it, so he wont be there all the time.. . 

Would it be possible for your uncle to mention that you have hunted in the past and he is really hoping you could still have access and he passes along your contact-at least you won’t be “cold calling” then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the quandary and where am I going to hunt feeling. Few years ago my brother sold 60 acres I hunted. He felt really bad but taxes weren’t cheap either.  My ladder stand I killed a pile of deer out of , ground blind daughter n I built , and my favorite tree to sit under I killed 13 gobblers sitting under all still there.  But great memories in the memories still prevail. I’ve gotten very lucky and have had invites from forum members to hunt their great parcels , word of mouth on turkey dirt    I was crushed losing my old stomping grounds but things became ok. I feel your pain but can almost guarantee you’ll get on some new dirt this year.  Good luck my friend. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Would it be possible for your uncle to mention that you have hunted in the past and he is really hoping you could still have access and he passes along your contact-at least you won’t be “cold calling” then

I have asked, but they are afraid doing so will scare the buyer off. . So I am not sure if they will .. i think it's going to lay solely in my shoulders to ask

5 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

So last year I was super excited that my uncle finally let me hunt his 107 acre farm.. it was all mine.. I took last year to really learn the land and I had a game plan to take a really nice buck that I knew was gonna be in there.. and then he sold the land! And again I have no where to hunt:( I'm going to ask the new land owner for permission,  but its certainly not a guarantee and it looks like theq3wy wont close til late september at the earliest.. leaving me zero time to put cameras out and scout.. as they have asked me to remove my stands and cameras from the land for now... I'm absolutely devastated and stuck with no land to hunt again:(. I guess it's time to start saving my pennies and just purchase my own plot 20 years from now.

Sorry to hear that. I hate to be Mr. obvious but how about the state land? That have to count for something...

That sucks but you still have 2 options start knocking on doors or look for some stateland.  If you havent asked strangers for hunting permission before its not to hard just expect most to say no.  Be respectful and offer to do some hard labor(fix fence,hang posted signs,clean gutters,ext.)  Some may even tell you exactly where to sit.   Good luck

I’ve been in your shoes, I had hunted on my cousins property for 30 + years and he ended up selling. He did offer it to me first but we just didn’t want to acquire that kind of debt this late in life. So now we lease, I am on my second parcel after loosing my first and I have to say I like the second one better. 

Good luck and keep plugging away there is always state land if you have too , or score a lease it’s not to late to get one and do some scouting. 

9 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

Becareful....  I said the same thing 20 years ago and now the prices have doubled........  Now I am hoping hunting land prices will level off like the housing market....  If I known that it was gonna get so expensive I would have figured out how to buy 20 years ago............

Gotta look for the silver lining. Better to find out in July than in late September. Start knocking on doors now, especially on crop farms. Farmers are starting to see this year's crop damage if they have a good local herd and deer are a nuisance to them. If they don't have a lot of crop damage, they probably don't have a good local herd, lol. Be prepared to get lot's of "no" answers, you may need to knock on 10 or more doors to get a yes, but it'll be worth it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I have 2 pending requests with two friends of mine, was talking to a long time friend and she said shed gladly let me hunt her 2.5 acres, though its not much, it butts up to her neighbors 175 acres,, and she doesn't see why they wouldn't have an issue with me hunting there. I also play softball in a beer league, and have a friend on the team who owns 125 acres but they don't really hunt it because he thinks the amish have killed everything... im like listen, 125 acres, im sure theres a few good bucks on there... so anyways, he has to check with his aunt and uncle that co-owns the land, and that land is literally right down the road from my new house, so this could be magical... time will tell... hope to find out soon!. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

UPDATE:

I have 2 pending requests with two friends of mine, was talking to a long time friend and she said shed gladly let me hunt her 2.5 acres, though its not much, it butts up to her neighbors 175 acres,, and she doesn't see why they wouldn't have an issue with me hunting there. I also play softball in a beer league, and have a friend on the team who owns 125 acres but they don't really hunt it because he thinks the amish have killed everything... im like listen, 125 acres, im sure theres a few good bucks on there... so anyways, he has to check with his aunt and uncle that co-owns the land, and that land is literally right down the road from my new house, so this could be magical... time will tell... hope to find out soon!. 

Looks like you've turned things around. Killed my best bucks on proeprties the owner was convinced there were no deer left. Hed see nothing and id see groups of deer all day long. Definitely check that 125 acres out if you can, but don't discount the 2.5 acres either. Get out and scout

My issue with private access is always been the “final handshake” due to various circumstances. Starts the same way with the parcels I try to access (usually suburbia with bow).
“Those damn deer are everywhere and eating my landscaping!”
“I can help you with that!”
“”Great! Kill them all!”
“Ok. I’d love to stop by”
“Well let me check with the Mrs...or I have a neighbor who may not like it...or it’s not enough space “
So the education begins about distance required to discharge a bow, amount yummy eats provided which would be shared with them and danger of Lymes and the benefit for the neighborhood-here’s where the car salesman in you needs to come out!

I still Have many “on hold” but must keep nagging/coaxing/reminding people that I am able to help. Farm access seems “easy” in comparison and where I’ve been more successful but never by knocking on doors. Most initial contact comes from patronage of the farm-apple orchards and pumpkin patches with my family, family farm stands, local diners overhearing people talk.Cold calls rarely work for me. BUT places that allow “pick your own” already allow people access and are used to people parking on their parcels. Bring your family for a day of picking, talk to the field workers while your there, ask the store managers for a phone number and away you go!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:08 AM, cbyzerman said:

Becareful....  I said the same thing 20 years ago and now the prices have doubled........  Now I am hoping hunting land prices will level off like the housing market....  If I known that it was gonna get so expensive I would have figured out how to buy 20 years ago............

But what has tripled since then? Stock market, including dividends. If you had $30k for some land 20 years ago and that land is now $60k, it would be worth $90k had you just left it in an S&P500 index fund.

https://smartasset.com/investing/investment-calculator#bT4PA5xbox

On 8/10/2019 at 6:09 AM, crappyice said:

My issue with private access is always been the “final handshake” due to various circumstances. Starts the same way with the parcels I try to access (usually suburbia with bow).
“Those damn deer are everywhere and eating my landscaping!”
“I can help you with that!”
“”Great! Kill them all!”
“Ok. I’d love to stop by”
“Well let me check with the Mrs...or I have a neighbor who may not like it...or it’s not enough space “
So the education begins about distance required to discharge a bow, amount yummy eats provided which would be shared with them and danger of Lymes and the benefit for the neighborhood-here’s where the car salesman in you needs to come out!

I still Have many “on hold” but must keep nagging/coaxing/reminding people that I am able to help. Farm access seems “easy” in comparison and where I’ve been more successful but never by knocking on doors. Most initial contact comes from patronage of the farm-apple orchards and pumpkin patches with my family, family farm stands, local diners overhearing people talk.Cold calls rarely work for me. BUT places that allow “pick your own” already allow people access and are used to people parking on their parcels. Bring your family for a day of picking, talk to the field workers while your there, ask the store managers for a phone number and away you go!

I'd offer money. It can't hurt.

I think knocking on doors is an anachronism likely to create little more than lots of frustration.

• Like 1