gopro to cover your blind side

I don't know much about the gopros but was considering getting one to cover my blind side in a blind or behind me in a tree stand. I'm guessing you can stream it to your phone to observe. was wondering if anyone uses one for such a purpose, how long they might last in the cold, would it even be worth it. any comments or suggestions would be great.

5 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

I don't know much about the gopros but was considering getting one to cover my blind side in a blind or behind me in a tree stand. I'm guessing you can stream it to your phone to observe. was wondering if anyone uses one for such a purpose, how long they might last in the cold, would it even be worth it. any comments or suggestions would be great.

What about a rear view mirror type thing?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Imo 

Get a set of Walker type game ears , you will hear many more deer before you see them. 

Mirrors, video cameras and hearing aids........gimme a break.  You were all (mostly all) born with two decent ears.  I sure don't want to be bothered with all the above while I'm on stand, that intense deep listening is sooo much of the hunt I'd hate for it to be unnatural.

As always, YMMV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Mirrors, video cameras and hearing aids........gimme a break.  You were all (mostly all) born with two decent ears.  I sure don't want to be bothered with all the above while I'm on stand, that intense deep listening is sooo much of the hunt I'd hate for it to be unnatural.
As always, YMMV

My Dad is nearly deaf. Doesn’t hunt with hearing aid because of potential gunshot and has killed a ton of game that’s he’s never heard. Often makes me wonder how much more success he would have had if only he could hear something coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

As always, YMMV

I know many born with good ears that worked and lost some hearing in one or both, some on this site I've hunted with cant pin point a Turkey as well as they should do to hearing loss.  Hearing  has given away more game than seeing them has.. usually hear then look to see what made sound.. if your worried about a blind spot your ears can cover that. 

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My Dad is nearly deaf. Doesn’t hunt with hearing aid because of potential gunshot and has killed a ton of game that’s he’s never heard. Often makes me wonder how much more success he would have had if only he could hear something coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The game ears cut out sound above a certain decible, like gunshots..  I have good hearing and play with one many times amazing what they can pick up on top of my "good hearing" . Thick cover only allows me to see 50 yards max mostly 25 or so yards.. hearing plays a much bigger role in that kind of cover..

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I know many born with good ears that worked and lost some hearing in one or both, some on this site I've hunted with cant pin point a Turkey as well as they should do to hearing loss.  Hearing  has given away more game than seeing them has.. usually hear then look to see what made sound.. if your worried about a blind spot your ears can cover that. 

I use my ears like radar in the stands/blinds and probably hear 4 or 5 deer first for every one that I see first.  Folks with impaired hearing would be better off using other methods (like tracking), rather than stand hunting.      

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

I use my ears like radar in the stands/blinds and probably hear 4 or 5 deer first for every one that I see first.  Folks with impaired hearing would be better off using other methods (like tracking), rather than stand hunting.      

Game ears ( basically hearing aids with decible cut out) can work wonders for many and improve their hunting no matter the style of hunting they do

two of my drunk buddies at fishing camp a couple of years ago swear by the game ears.  They had them on trying to find out what the neighbor camp was cooking for dinner !  lol  They also had binoculars and thought no one could see them behind the porch screen.  BTW - they were cooking 3lbs of spaghetti.  lol

On 7/30/2019 at 7:31 PM, G-Man said:

I resemble that, I go the wrong way after turkeys because of the hearing lost in 1 ear! The problem with "game ears" is they magnify the sounds but you still can't tell the direction! 

After working with machinery for most of my adult life, my hearing is not very good at this point. But my eyes are still very sharp! I sit on stand scanning back and forth, without moving my head too much, and can and do pick out deer long before I would hear them. I actually enjoy this scanning with my eyes, as it keeps me focused on the hunt. Now and then I will glance over my shoulder. I hunt with the wind in my face, and especially with bow, most anything down wind of me, won't give a good shot opportunity anyways. Oh I'll hear a branch crack, or a deer in the crunchy leaves. But most times I'll have already seen them with my eyes first. Just sit still, keep your eyes open and hunt!!!

Does the Walkers Game Ear cut out wind sound???? You know, like the blowing into a microphone sound???  On a windy day, and we get alot of those, that would drive me nuts!

On 7/30/2019 at 10:18 PM, Lawdwaz said:

REAL hearing aids would probably help him but all the Mickey Mouse crap above would be a nuisance and take away film the experience. 

Your father must be relying on his eyes as he should.  Good on him!!

real ones help 1 ear for conversation, but not much. he doesn't wear them hunting because he doesnt trust they will turn off at the sound of a gunshot. The hearing loss is likely due to indoor shooting ranges as a kid with no ear protection!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

46 minutes ago, grampy said:

After working with machinery for most of my adult life, my hearing is not very good at this point. But my eyes are still very sharp! I sit on stand scanning back and forth, without moving my head too much, and can and do pick out deer long before I would hear them. I actually enjoy this scanning with my eyes, as it keeps me focused on the hunt. Now and then I will glance over my shoulder. I hunt with the wind in my face, and especially with bow, most anything down wind of me, won't give a good shot opportunity anyways. Oh I'll hear a branch crack, or a deer in the crunchy leaves. But most times I'll have already seen them with my eyes first. Just sit still, keep your eyes open and hunt!!!

Does the Walkers Game Ear cut out wind sound???? You know, like the blowing into a microphone sound???  On a windy day, and we get alot of those, that would drive me nuts!

Yes it kills wind and repetitive noise( background)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

One thing I've hear about the walkers game ears is that it takes away your ears natural ability to zero in on the origin of the sound. 

I have the electronic muffs and while they amplify sound other than gun shots, they also make it hard to identify direction.