Don_C

Encounter with a neighbor today

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

idk. 22 pointers and 600 pound bear with a ton of oaks? sounds like it's worth a lot of trouble to me haha

The oaks are 100% real, you can't walk two steps without stepping on them and the thick areas are all berries. It seems to be too good to be true. The 22pter and giant bears... I have no evidence of that, but one can hope.  One of my sons did say yesterday, "there is clearly a reason so many people want to be on this hill". Judging by how much the place is coveted by the locals who DO hunt, maybe it's true. The guy with the bear pic doesn't hunt, so I tend to believe him a bit more, he was a no BS kind of guy,  and everyone I have seen asked me if I have seen it yet.  

Yesterday we put signs up along the road and each side of the gate. All bordering neighbors now know we are there so there is not much more we can do. I'm sure we will run into people during gun season, which may not be the worst thing in the world, keep things moving around. No one seems to bow hunt the area which is what we are most interested in. We decided at this point we're not going to make an issue out of anything until we see what actually happens. We all like to talk $hit now and then, hopefully these guys will behave.

I do like the idea of putting a stand in front of theirs though, after some beers yesterday, one of my boys actually said, we simply need to buy some 4x8 sheets of plywood and put them on posts 5 feet in front of their stands at eye level! now THAT's funny... but honestly we don't even want to hunt the areas they are shooting into, it is literally 100 yards from where we will be parking and the second stand is another 100 yards in on the access road. There is a LOT of sign there ,but there is another 93 acres that is WAY better and where the deer are coming FROM. The real issue to me is shooting in AT us, it's a safety thing as much as anything else. Fingers crossed things just work themselves out.

• Like 8

people do crazy things. it sucks having people encroach on a place you've hunting your whole life, whether you could be there or not i suppose. be fair but direct and firm with him. if you have trail cam photos go ahead and share them with him. keep reminding him you'll help track a shot deer if shot on HIS land and runs onto YOUR lease. give him your contact info. i've never had someone posture while pointing out they have a firearm but there's weird people out there. don't write him off just yet but cover your ass and keep packing the 9mm when you're there.

i had that (minus the poor attitude) at my old house but i got along great with those who hunted the line. still do and i don't even live there now. i didn't blame them hunting the line as my creek bottom was a good spot. to help their will power I hinge cut at the property line and made it real thick with room for deer to run and dump down further into my property.  every time they walked to their stands after that they got busted by deer.

• Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

On 9/7/2019 at 10:10 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

This is why I love leasing. Walk away next year. Hunting is a fun pastime who needs this BS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

then he wins and the behavior is rewarded. which makes you wonder if this isn't his first rodeo

On 9/8/2019 at 12:11 AM, nyslowhand said:

Wonder if this might be a typical scenario when leasing from a lumber company??

Clearly, with an absentee landowner, the neighbors might feel free to encroach at will.

What Moog suggested is the correct/legal path, but getting the lumber co to confront this bully neighbor probably won't happen. They have their own agenda!

You've got bigger kahones than I do if carrying a sidearm for security is essential and potentially ducking bullets is a high probability, all in the pursuit of hunting. No deer or bear is worth risking life or limb!

Good luck!!!

there's a dance with the landowner here too, and only fatboy knows the relationship. But if the lumber company now views this as a hassle they could raise the lease price to deal with the headache or just cancel the lease. tread carefully.

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

52 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

"there is clearly a reason so many people want to be on this hill". Judging by how much the place is coveted by the locals who DO hunt, maybe it's true.

bingo! you don't see many guys fighting over a fallow 10 acre field with no deer sign for a reason. :)

• Like 2

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

I'm not contacting the lumber company at this point, they are located hundreds of miles away and I'm sure they aren't going to want to deal with it.  If there are real problems down the road, then I will talk with them.  I'm expecting to run into people this year as it has been a free-for-all to the locals for over 10 years according to most of the people we've talked to,  I think we are the first to lease this property. 

So, though the evolution of this encounter I think we have realized this IS going to happen this year, hopefully not moving forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

I'm not contacting the lumber company at this point, they are located hundreds of miles away and I'm sure they aren't going to want to deal with it.  If there are real problems down the road, then I will talk with them.  I'm expecting to run into people this year as it has been a free-for-all to the locals for over 10 years according to most of the people we've talked to,  I think we are the first to lease this property. 

So, though the evolution of this encounter I think we have realized this IS going to happen this year, hopefully not moving forward.

You have to be fair in how you treat tresspassers, but also ruthless at the same time. If you're always nice to them they'll walk all over you

• Like 2

Let me get this right, maybe i read this too fast and im wrong and if so i apologize in advance. This is your lease, your neighbor confronts you with a rifle and nicely tells you to go screw yourself,? Based upon a members suggestion  you are now going to remedy all this by going over to this a$$hole with a gesture of kindness by bringing a case of beer?? 

Wow, some of you are way too kind. Someone gestures that they will use a rifle to protect thier hunting rights and on my property , think i would fly off the handle, at the least i would have called the police\dec right on the spot. Sad but guys like that need a rude awakening, some of these locals think they have an inherited right because they have been in the area for years.  I have dealt with locals with the same exact mentality on a couple occasions and they have no sense of reasoning. One guy had the balls to tell me that i was a Hunter harrasser and was gonna call the DEC on me,i told him go right ahead because i already made a call to them. Sounds like the nice approach in this instance wont work. But i could be wrong.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Let me get this right, maybe i read this too fast and im wrong and if so i apologize in advance. This is your lease, your neighbor confronts you with a rifle and nicely tells you to go screw yourself,? Based upon a members suggestion  you are now going to remedy all this by going over to this a$$hole with a gesture of kindness by bringing a case of beer?? 

Wow, some of you are way too kind. Someone gestures that they will use a rifle to protect thier hunting rights and on my property , think i would fly off the handle, at the least i would have called the police\dec right on the spot. Sad but guys like that need a rude awakening, some of these locals think they have an inherited right because they have been in the area for years.  I have dealt with locals with the same exact mentality on a couple occasions and they have no sense of reasoning. One guy had the balls to tell me that i was a Hunter harrasser and was gonna call the DEC on me,i told him go right ahead because i already made a call to them. Sounds like the nice approach in this instance wont work. But i could be wrong.

i'm with you on this. i don't think i support the case of beer suggestion either. That said, I'm always one to see if I can resolve things peacefully first. The headache will never go away if it starts off on the wrong foot.

• Like 2

-Aldo Leopold 

I have been reading this Thread for a few days now. --- I have a very strong feeling that the guy who threatened you with the rifle will walk on your land to get a crack at that Black Bear or Trophy Buck. He obviously knows every inch of the land. If he does walk on your Lands-- it will probably be around 12.30pm or so - Monday- Thrusday so he won't get caught!

• Like 1

7c669bede2ae78d92dd2e16b67e10dcf.jpg&key=6fabd25136b93aa24bbedd793e010254d8ac1b2d096d2fe6f44d496ac5c760f9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re not fat? What else is a lie on this forum??

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

28 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I AGREE 100%. But I'm not making things worse by escalating the problem, especially when firearms are in the mix. I guess I'm going back and forth on contacting LE and making a report just yet. The Hunter harassment thing is real. He basically said as much about the other guy who borders our property next to him because that guy had the balls to put up a sand too close to HIS LINE??!!!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Jerkmann said:

I have been reading this Thread for a few days now. --- I have a very strong feeling that the guy who threatened you with the rifle will walk on your land to get a crack at that Black Bear or Trophy Buck. He obviously knows every inch of the land. If he does walk on your Lands-- it will probably be around 12.30pm or so - Monday- Thrusday so he won't get caught!

Again, 100% agree. He won't stop doing what he's doing, all I can do is be firm to the point that he curbs it while we are there. I do understand that much.  

• Like 1

I remember and article a long time back that said ... best stand locations for postage stamp properties  is on your neighbors. Meaning hunt the borders  and let the core of your property be a safety  zone ... that said it doesn't mean shoot on the neighbors .. I'm not going to say I haven't shot a deer that's head was past the property line and its body  was on the line .... chit happens. 

Edited by Nytracker

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You’re not fat? What else is a lie on this forum??

HAHA! Thanks! NO, I am not fat, but that's not me either. That is my son.  FatboyD originated from a Harley site I was a member of when I rode a Fatboy and my first name is Don, but that's it, I'm changing my name.  Maybe MOOG5151 or something so I can be part of making this the most confusing forum on the internet too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

HAHA! Thanks! NO, I am not fat, but that's not me either. That is my son.  FatboyD originated from a Harley site I was a member of when I rode a Fatboy and my first name is Don, but that's it, I'm changing my name.  Maybe MOOG5151 or something so I can be part of making this the most confusing forum on the internet too.

Moog5151 would be a good new username-lol! My own new username will change in another week or so.

Done. Name changed, FatBoy is gone forever, along with the bike that inspired it! I sure miss it.

IMG_0042.jpg

• Like 6

A case of beer would be the last thing this Richard would get. I would have a good chat with the local DEC officer. I would let the DEC officer have hunting rights!! And the locals get a fast lesson on law.

Get proficient and hiding some cameras up out of reach and sight as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Done. Name changed, FatBoy is gone forever,

Don C??  You should have told that idiot that your name was Don Corleone and maybe he'd think twice about trespassing.  LOL

don_corleone-701x351.jpg

• Like 6

At least I didn't change my avatar to another members headshot! But now I just may use Brando...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Another name change ,my brain can't handle this .

Another new username for me coming up as well. 5th one will probably be the last-LOL!

3 minutes ago, The Jerkmann said:

Another new username for me coming up as well. 5th one will probably be the last-LOL!

Got any in mind ? You should let the forum pick it for you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Don_C said:

At least I didn't change my avatar to another members headshot! But now I just may use Brando...

That is my ugly mug  with the camo Jones Hat as that Avatar. I myself finally figured out how to upload a pic as a Avatar. A Creek in a Swamp it is.

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

Got any in mind ? You should let the forum pick it for you.

I thought of that too. I have 2 in mind for the 17th.