Belo

Baiting Bears in NY

Recommended Posts

A recent podcast on bear hunting I listened to got me thinking more about this. We all know that baiting bears is illegal in NY. Most of us know that most bears are taken by opportunistic hunters. Meaning, you're out deer hunting and a bear wanders by. That's not to say spot and stalk or tree stand bear hunting is impossible or doesn't happen, but I believe many of us would agree that it's the big horn hunting equivalent of the east. It's one of, if not the hardest types of hunts there is, heck NY gives you a free bear tag lol.

Many states (take Arkansas for example) have not met their harvest quotas and recently remedied this by allowing baiting. 

With our bear population growing and spreading I'm wondering if there are any organizations out there pushing to change these laws or is it a fools errand? Is the biggest obstacle the fact that our fall bear hunt coincides with deer and regulating bear baiting vs deer would be impossible, or is it the animal rights groups? Or something else?

thanks all

  • Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know there are none that are pushing for bear baiting. Like you said, they're mostly a target of opprotunity by deer hunters. A lot of people pass bear becuase they don't want to deal with them, so I think baiting is needed. We dont really have a bear hunting culture like they do in PA. The only thing good that we have is a very long bear season, but it doesnt help when people arent really targeting them much

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it would draw too many questions with DEC about baiting bears while not allowing baiting for deer. people do fairly well with dogs going after bears. i have yet to see one. i don't think they're that overpopulated yet to expect any drastic changes.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

people do fairly well with dogs going after bears

There was a time when Bears could be hunted with Dogs in NY. The first Governor Cuomo who was in bed with the animal rights groups put an end to that, Dogs are still allowed to be trained to run and tree Bears but no shooting.:angry:

As for baiting it is a common method for hunting them in many places,  I would have no problem with it personally as long as the numbers held up.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't hunt the Deer much myself-- but that Deer Corn is being bought up right quick! Had to snap a pic before the pallet was empty. Now my late Girlfriend Patti used to live in Vernon,NJ where Black Bears walk right among the Townhouses at the Golf Course just past Great Gorge. The Dumpsters are always being raided by Black Bears with Racoons as a backup. They seem to go for the Pizza leftovers first. Half eaten corn cobs is a real treat! Whole bags of garbage is dragged up the Mt. Of course this Deer corn would be huge Treat to a hungry Back Bear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would absolutely love it if we could bait bears in September. No deer season then so baiting deer isn’t an issue


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, airedale said:

There was a time when Bears could be hunted with Dogs in NY. The first Governor Cuomo who was in bed with the animal rights groups put an end to that, Dogs are still allowed to be trained to run and tree Bears but no shooting.:angry:

As for baiting it is a common method for hunting them in many places,  I would have no problem with it personally as long as the numbers held up.

Al

 

26 minutes ago, The Jerkmann said:

20190904_115537.jpg

interestingly i've talked to fellow hunters around our camp and not one seems to have an issue with anyone baiting a bear, but deer? oh man haha. So yeah I think it's common. I don't think many would lose their shit either, but I prefer to do things the right way. Currently I'm using a honey pot which is gray area in and of itself. 


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, airedale said:

There was a time when Bears could be hunted with Dogs in NY. The first Governor Cuomo who was in bed with the animal rights groups put an end to that, Dogs are still allowed to be trained to run and tree Bears but no shooting.:angry:

As for baiting it is a common method for hunting them in many places,  I would have no problem with it personally as long as the numbers held up.

Al

ooohhh... makes sense. hear of them getting tree'd not during the season but during is usually somewhere else.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I wonder how pizza fed bear tastes compared to corn fed bear. 

nothing compared ones fed with Marsh mellows, old breakfast cereal, grazed donuts, and whoopie pies. lol that's what i've heard anyway... that the diabetic ones are tasty.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much prefer a spring season

  • Like 5

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking of going Bear Hunting with my TASTY Homemade Honey Buns - dripping with Honey- stuffed in my Pheasant vest! Just kidding.:mosking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I'd much prefer a spring season

Same here. We get them living around our place during the spring and summer, and then they seem to disappear late summer and into fall. Maybe a baited spring season would be the best option. It wouldnt affect deer hunting/baiting laws in any way.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Same here. We get them living around our place during the spring and summer, and then they seem to disappear late summer and into fall. Maybe a baited spring season would be the best option. It wouldnt affect deer hunting/baiting laws in any way.

That is when, I see plenty of Black Bear-- during Spring Turkey season in NY + NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly thing thee baiting could be pretty easily regulated for the bears. Stay away form the foods a deer would eat and you'd be good. bread products, bacon grease and meat. 

  • Like 1

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

"The trouble with Socialism is, sooner or later you run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher

"When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.." - James Dale Davidson, National Taxpayers Union

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I honestly thing thee baiting could be pretty easily regulated for the bears. Stay away form the foods a deer would eat and you'd be good. bread products, bacon grease and meat. 

I've seen deer eat fish, frogs and popcorn.. I think early  spring season boars only baited , and they have best coats early spring


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In some states that bait you have to register your baiting site and mark it with your info and they only allow so many per sq mile. That could cert be done here.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be all for a baiting season....I have no desire to shoot a bear for their meat or their pelt, but they are a pain in the ass on the property....I'll kill one if I see one  during season just to get rid  of the SOB... I don't want to waste good meat, so I have talked to a couple of guys who would take the pelt and the meat, if I should shoot one...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back a few years ago I was given a bear roast  told to treat it as lean beef . We pressure cooked it like a pot roast . It was good . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I would be all for a baiting season....I have no desire to shoot a bear for their meat or their pelt, but they are a pain in the ass on the property....I'll kill one if I see one  during season just to get rid  of the SOB... I don't want to waste good meat, so I have talked to a couple of guys who would take the pelt and the meat, if I should shoot one...

The pelt is quite valuable.. the queen needs it for her guards hats

..

  • Haha 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nytracker said:

Back a few years ago I was given a bear roast  told to treat it as lean beef . We pressure cooked it like a pot roast . It was good . 

Key is proper.care and removing all the fat.. that is time consuming

  • Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm heading up this weekend to give it a shot.Theres a few wondering around by me mostly down by my beaver pond.I'd like to get one with my muzzle loader.I've taken a few with the bow there pretty good eats if cooked right.

I've seen this one in my yard a few times even while shooting my guns.

imageproxy.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rachunter said:

I'm heading up this weekend to give it a shot.Theres a few wondering around by me mostly down by my beaver pond.I'd like to get one with my muzzle loader.I've taken a few with the bow there pretty good eats if cooked right.

I've seen this one in my yard a few times even while shooting my guns.

imageproxy.jpg

Beaver is a favorite of bear!!

  • Like 2

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.