anyone rethinking the opener for a day off?

Robhuntandfish

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Early October bucks i assume? Regardless of weather, I still firmly believe 10/1 is just as good of a chance to shoot a big buck as any day in November. Which is why I am off lol

Yes both early october was 84 degrees the day I shot the 11pt. I was sweating and stunk so bad I could smell myself. Was actually hunting in tshirt with jacket open.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, t_barb said:

I thin it depends on the property..    If you can hunt the edges and don't have to walk too far and get all sweated up it is one thing..   If you have to walk a quarter mile thru your property leaving a sweaty scent trail, you can really screw yourself...   Hard not to sweat when it is over 70 degrees  Just my opinion..

The 11pt was 3/4 mile in, the 8 pt was only a few hundred yards. Bot. Hot days sweating like a pig..

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yes both early october was 84 degrees the day I shot the 11pt. I was sweating and stunk so bad I could smell myself. Was actually hunting in tshirt with jacket open.

8 minutes ago, t_barb said:

I thin it depends on the property..    If you can hunt the edges and don't have to walk too far and get all sweated up it is one thing..   If you have to walk a quarter mile thru your property leaving a sweaty scent trail, you can really screw yourself...   Hard not to sweat when it is over 70 degrees  Just my opinion..

Weather showing 86 degrees for 10/2, i may hunt in shorts so that I am cooler on the walk in.

• Like 1

the difference is though I am not sitting in a metal treestand in lightning! Not even for a FSW sized whitetail.   lol.  And we all cant fit in Biz's groundblind

plus i am only getting one day off that week and if I can pick its not the day of storms and 80's. Better to take the day with the best chance instead of the first chance.  Old bull says young bull..  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the difference is though I am not sitting in a metal treestand in lightning! Not even for a FSW sized whitetail.   lol.  And we all cant fit in Biz's groundblind

plus i am only getting one day off that week and if I can pick its not the day of storms and 80's. Better to take the day with the best chance instead of the first chance.  Old bull says young bull..  

why isn't your treestands GROUNDED? 

Right now it says, 82 and showers for the opener. I doubt I'll burn a vacation day to go. I have flexible hours, so I can easily be in the stand for an evening hunt. Guess I can use that as a dry run to work the bugs out and see what I forgot! Can't take off on Wednesday as I gotta give training all day, then I'm booked with meetings until 1pm Thursday, but I'm off on Friday. 

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Making this hard on me G!!scheduled off for opening day but considering trying take thursday and friday due to weather on opening day.decision decision 

1 minute ago, doebuck1234 said:

Making this hard on me G!!scheduled off for opening day but considering trying take thursday and friday due to weather on opening day.decision decision 

I'd take fri sat my self ,but best rule of thumb is if your off go hunting crazy things happen.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I'd take fri sat my self ,but best rule of thumb is if your off go hunting crazy things happen.

Tis my plan and very true.picked a few prime days it seemed last year with alot of activity.was sick those days......:bad::taunt:.may just take opening day anyways.already scheduled off and may be able to sneak in a friday afternoon hunt as i work 6-12 at the latest usually.G/F already knows hunting season starts this coming tuesday...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Team Hoyt said:

Yes it's going to be hot. Haven't hunted the opening day in a couple years. I'll finally be out there. Cant kill them from work and if anything else it's a day off to myself and admire God's creations 

That is the ticket enjoy God’s creation.  Last year I miss a couple opportunities on harvesting a decent buck because I didn’t want to on out in the rain. Trail camera picture show he went by my stand and I was home sleeping. Rain ,hot weather or snow we all need to make most of the weather New York send our way.  Deer season is short.

• Like 1

I'm retired and have plenty of days to hunt . I have always been obsessed with hunting opening day . I am having 2nd thought this year . I don't feature Bow Hunting in 85 degree weather and rain showers .Two years ago I made a bad shot on a buck during some rain and won't do that again .  I will make a final decision Monday morning . 

Reeeeeaaaallly considering trying to switch my days off from Tuesday to Friday or maybe just going out Saturday.....  The wind on Tuesday will be pretty close, I'll be threading the needle buuuuuuuut, maybe I'll get lucky!?  Man!  Decisions, decisions!  Who am I kidding, I'll be out there Tuesday & Saturday.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I hate sitting in heat, but I am torn.  Going to pull cams one more time to see if I can gather any patterns on anything worthwhile and then decide.  I may just do a quick morning hunt Tuesday and then take Friday off.  The weather looks so much better.

Damn you. you make want to check cams this weekend, but i'm trying not too! I haven't been in woods since 9/14

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld