What is a good shot ?

Jeremy K

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Only one way to find that out and I've never even seen a buck that big while huting my entire life ,TBD for me.

I've seen guys turn into a puddle of shaking drool with a 4 pointer in front of them. Belo nailed it. there is a "good shot" and a "good shooting hunter" The good shooting hunter really understand their limitations and stays within them. I don't care if it was 10 yards of 40.  I can't tell you the number of times I have heard "hunters" make this answer to my question. Me--what is you maximum hunting range? --answer- (Insert max yardage here) yards, unless its a monster them I'll take a longer shot. My patience usually goes out the window at that point. 

• Like 4

a good shot isn't someone who busts nocks on their backyard target they've always shot at from the same spot.  a good shot is someone who can pick their bow up at the beginning of the season and shoot well from the start. that person can make the shot happen in a position or situation that isn't considered routine. they can keep their sh*t together under pressure. could be on a 3D course with friends cracking jokes or making gestures at while they're at full draw. could be out hunting when that deer did something unexpected. can't get this way without practice, but results on a 3D course or in the woods trumps practice results any day of the week.

• Like 2

2” group at a target from level ground no wind good light conditions or 2” group when its 10 degrees from a stand that you’ve sat in for a few hours?

Target shooting means nothing, in my opinion the only good target shooting does is form muscle memory and ensure your equipment is sighted in.

Real world hunting accuracy is what matters.

You say2” group at 20yds isn’t a good shot but a deer will never know if you missed the hair you’re aiming at by 1”. I would be willing to bet that most members on here can’t shoot a 2” group with their hunting gun of choice at 20yds freehand yet that’s a shot everyone will take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am talking about with a bow here as this thread was posted under BOW hunting

With a compound if you can often group 1" per 10 yards and highly reliably 2" per 10, then you're a good shot. That means day after day no more than 3" from your bullzeye with 30 (6" group). In truth most people cannot do that every single time.

There's also a big difference between a group and actually getting half that group size from bullseye, since the latter requires consistency AND a well dialed in sight. 

Personally i find my accuracy goes south quite a bit in the woods. It's not nervousness. It's the fact that shooting a 30 yard target in light clothes is just a lot easier than shooting from the stand at something that doesn't have a white dot on it and that is moving. I really agree with cam hanes that you should take the distance you're consistently good at with practice--can consistently hit vitals--and halve it in the field. There are always exceptions but it's a good starting point.

Edited by Core

12 hours ago, Chef said:

I disagree with this whole heartily, if you shoot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with a bow that is not A good shot by any means.

Then at least 90% of compound shooters are "not a good shot" by your definition.

2" group at 20 yards is a score of 300 on the NFAA blue face with probably 20+ X's. A score not closed to averaged by 90+% of the league shooters I've seen.

• Like 3

Ahh, the ole target anxiety phenomena! Acupuncture, hypnosis, Xanax, breathing exercises - only sure cure is to get a few deer under your belt and learn to control it. AND then hope it never completely goes away because it's part of the adrenaline rush of deer hunting!!!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, Jeremy K said:

I was just curious the general opinion of what people shooting bows consider a "good" shot . You hear people say "i'm a pretty good shot " or "that guy is a good shot" Is it a paper plate at 20 yards or a half dollar at 50 yards or somewhere in between. 

Pie plate groups at 100 yards I thought were dam good shots 

• Like 1