What is a good shot ?

Jeremy K

I agree with Daveboone. All the practice in the world does you little good if you can't apply it in the woods. A lot of bad shots are the result of thinking you have to shoot. Sometimes there just isn't a good shot, even if the deer is well in your limits. Plan ahead when you get in your stand. Take note of branches and saplings, check some trees for yardage, turn in your stand to see if you have a shot that way, look for obstructions that a deer may pass behind so you can draw, etc. It sucks to have a nice buck go through and never get a chance to shoot, but it happens to me a lot because I hunt in pretty thick areas by choice. When the bucks get chasing hard, you may have a few bucks charging through so fast that you don't even have a hope of getting a good shot on them. The next one may stop on a dime when you grunt at them. The only pressure  is the pressure you put on yourself. Just relax as much as possible, and realize there may not be a shot, and if you don't spook the deer you may get another opportunity.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's pretty simple.  A "good shot" is someone that can hit their target every time.  Especially when it's alive, moving,  in dense cover, on a windy day and at an unknown distance.  Accuracy is critical, but being able to surmount all the other variables mentioned here, is what makes someone "good".

• Like 2

Just like in every sport, there's going to be athletes who have better ability. Target acquisition is my big hurdle. I can shoot the nads off a flea, given enough time, but I practice form with an eye on minimizing time to delivery, because that is where I know that I am weak. Identify your personal weaknesses, then work on them. You will be a better hunter, even if it doesn't show on the range. If I had to choose, I'd agree that 1" groups per 10 yards is a decent shot - but is only a starting point toward being good in the field.

• Like 1

Good enough at practice to give you confidence and esp at the moment of truth to visually transfer the Block's bulls-eye onto a deer's vitals area. Do NOT become a client of our beloved retrieval guy & his doggies!

Exactly what Daveboone said, also know you limitations. Paraphrased - do not let bone dictate your shots! "Gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em and know when to walk away!" Ala Kenny Rogers.

You only have to take one or regrettably a couple not so good shots to learn this lesson the hard way. Any lost deer, esp a nice buck will make a grown man cry!

Finally here's some food for thought and a deer hunting anomaly. Some of the best & most successful deer hunters might not qualify to the above consensus of 1"/10yrd rule of thumb. I'd be naive if I thought I'd be a good deer hunter if I could consistently shoot the bulls-eye of my Block target in my backyard!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about this a lot as I just missed a grouse at 10 yards. Twice. 

I thought I was an okay shot and can do this at 20 yards instinctively --

01447E78-2767-4917-81FA-F1695CBF760F.thumb.jpg.0a2ae01418e3d415d872758db066c51a.jpg

I was calm and took my time but there you have it. I clearly need less "backyard target time" and more "target in the woods time". 

Depends on what we’re shooting, hunting bow? 1” every ten yards. Rifle 1” every hundred.

I agree with this. 4” at 40 yards, I consider proficient and confident with a bow. Same as 4” at 400yds with rifle.

Shotgun isn’t as accurate as a rifle, so I’d say 2” at 75yds is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just like in every sport, there's going to be athletes who have better ability. Target acquisition is my big hurdle. I can shoot the nads off a flea, given enough time, but I practice form with an eye on minimizing time to delivery, because that is where I know that I am weak. Identify your personal weaknesses, then work on them. You will be a better hunter, even if it doesn't show on the range. If I had to choose, I'd agree that 1" groups per 10 yards is a decent shot - but is only a starting point toward being good in the field.

I disagree with this whole heartily, if you shoot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with a bow that is not A good shot by any means.

I disagree with this whole heartily, if you shoot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with a bow that is not A good shot by any means.

2” group at a target from level ground no wind good light conditions or 2” group when its 10 degrees from a stand that you’ve sat in for a few hours?

Target shooting means nothing, in my opinion the only good target shooting does is form muscle memory and ensure your equipment is sighted in.

Real world hunting accuracy is what matters.

You say2” group at 20yds isn’t a good shot but a deer will never know if you missed the hair you’re aiming at by 1”. I would be willing to bet that most members on here can’t shoot a 2” group with their hunting gun of choice at 20yds freehand yet that’s a shot everyone will take.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Chef said:

You are a good shot at what ever distance it is that you can shoot a tennis ball

That is great if you have a tag for tennis balls...lol. I know guys that shoot lights out on targets all the way to 40 yards and totally fall apart and either make bad shots of miss on a live buck. 

• Like 3

A good shot is when a deer dies from a vital hit within a reasonable time.

I don’t really have a hunting weapon set up for accuracy. I don’t own a rifle that will regularly shoot under 1moa groups. My hunting bow has a huge pin and I don’t shoot with a peep so 1” groups aren’t something I see very often. I can keep my shots in a deers vitals out to 60+ yards with my setup but shooting tight groups isn’t something I give a crap about.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

2” group at a target from level ground no wind good light conditions or 2” group when its 10 degrees from a stand that you’ve sat in for a few hours?

Target shooting means nothing, in my opinion the only good target shooting does is form muscle memory and ensure your equipment is sighted in.

Real world hunting accuracy is what matters.

You say2” group at 20yds isn’t a good shot but a deer will never know if you missed the hair you’re aiming at by 1”. I would be willing to bet that most members on here can’t shoot a 2” group with their hunting gun of choice at 20yds freehand yet that’s a shot everyone will take.

See, I think the muscle memory is the biggest part of performing under pressure. 

Back when I started 30 some years ago with my Golden Eagle, shooting fingers with a single brass pin and flipper rest , this paper plate group was good enough for me . I killed deer my first year and most after , I only take broadside shots at  stationary deer,  twenty yards or under   . I don’t know if I could hit a tennis ball hanging off a deer ,but I’m confident I’m going to double lung, and or  punch it’s heart .

7816D2D0-F6A8-4C1B-BFF5-36E937A89AB9.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

are we talking standing in shorts and a T at the range or in the stand full gear on 11/8 in 28* watching steam shoot from the nostrils of a 130 class buck broadside at 25?

honest question because a good shot and a good shooting hunter are different in my opinion.

Only one way to find that out and I've never even seen a buck that big while huting my entire life ,TBD for me.