boresight or paper target ?

I have never used one either.  What fun would that be??  If sighting in a bolt action, I'll pull the bolt out and start out by lining things up that way first but all other get the 25 yard start on a BIG piece of cardboard.

A bore sight only gets you on the paper, its no substitute for sighting in. They are normally used to install a scope and get it aligned so your first few rounds arent 10 feet away from the target.

I used the bolt removal trick to line up the scope on my Remmy 700. It worked pretty good, just had to dial it in.

I prefer to shoot the single shots and I do an actual boresight .... I get out my Black and Decker foldong bench with the vice and set it up in the family room . I break open the rifle and put it in the vice and adjust it by looking through the barrel and adjust everything until the light on my neighbor's garage ( about 50+ yards across the way) is centered in the barrel . I then adjust the scope until I have the scope centered and recheck the barrel and scope . The gun is then ready for the range .

Now , if someone is going to tell me this is dangerous , save it . The action is open and I can see through the barrel . It isn't loaded !

I have never understoood boresighting. Within 5 shots I will be centered on paper, with a few more shots to zero. I know way too many people who consider bore sighting the same as sighting in. baaaad thinking.

If you are shooting copper sabots out of a shotgun, the bore sight will save you a good amount of money when you are replacing a scope and sighting in. The last box of copper solids I picked up was like 12 or 13 bucks a box.

I used a cheapy little flash light that was a give away at work, it fit in the chamber of the 7mm and got me on paper. If I spent a little extra time I could have gotten it even closer by bore sighting and saved a few rounds in the process. None of that helped when I realized the guy that put my scope on didn't lock tight the screws that held it on, I wasted a half a box of shells that day and was begining to think the gun had a bent barrell... :-[  haha!

None of that helped when I realized the guy that put my scope on didn't lock tight the screws that held it on, I wasted a half a box of shells that day and was begining to think the gun had a bent barrell... :-[  haha!

Ive been there too lol. Damn scope screws all get tightened down regularly and a drop of Loc-tite since then.

I have never boresighted..I simply fire my first shot at a large target at very close range ( perhaps 20 feet)... That  tells me which direction I need to move in...

I then move back to 25 yards and zero dead on..Usually this takes no more than 3 or 4 shots..

Then I drop back to 100 yards and fine tune it, if necessary...

I guess if I had one, I'd probably use it. But then, it's not everyday that I am replacing scopes or setting up new guns. Plus, it's ok if I shoot up a bunch of ammo sighting in. That's just that much more brass I'll have fire-formed for reloading ..... lol.

Doc

I use one very similiar to this

http://sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/osprey-laser-boresighter.aspx?a=676252

The .223 laser fits into the other cartriges and I even have on for 12 and 20 ga. shotgun shells. I went through a lot of this because of some trips I went on. I carried it to recheck to see it anything happened during transport.

I bore sighted the rifles....rage zero'd them in and reinserted the bore sighter. I had to play around with the alignment of the cartrige in the gun but by rotating it clockwise or counter clockwise I got the dot perfect with my zero. I then removed the cartrige and scored a line at the 12 o'clock position on the brass. Perfect at 100 yards now and a real confidence booster after a 30 hour truck ride to a hunt. But I would never depend on that  in the place of a range zero

It also depends who mounted the scope to start with,was it a gunsmith or was it a part time sales person.

I now near me the owner of the store is a good gunsmith and spends the time on lapping the rings before even mounting the scope,then it is lined up with true with the receiver,then bore sighted.I shoot them after getting them back from him and every one was in a 2" circle at 100 yards and all grouped together within that circle.   

• 1 month later...

Love my boresighter. Gets me on paper when using new gun/scope. But it has another definite advantage. After getting the gun zeroed on paper reinstall the boresighter. And check where the crosshairs are in relation to the laser dot. Now if you go on an out of state adventure or just drop the gun you can use the boresighter to check that the scope hasn't moved.

It also depends who mounted the scope to start with,was it a gunsmith or was it a part time sales person.

I now near me the owner of the store is a good gunsmith and spends the time on lapping the rings before even mounting the scope,then it is lined up with true with the receiver,then bore sighted.I shoot them after getting them back from him and every one was in a 2" circle at 100 yards and all grouped together within that circle. 

I highly doubt there is a store owner/gunsmith alive that will lap the rings of every scope he installs.  Sounds like a nice sales pitch to me and nothing else. Plus, the majority of scopes installed will never need scope ring lapping if installed properly.  Will shoot plenty good without ever needing lapping.