Another hunting knife

Little while back I picked up a benchmade Osborne 940 folder with s30v steel. I've been impressed so far and got bit by the bug. Also Moog reminded me how much of a PITA folders are to clean after gutting an animal. So now I've got a hunter orange benchmade altitude in s90v steel. Fit and design seems itd be perfect for the task of gutting and/or quartering big game. Screaming sharp out of the box too. Feel I could shave my beard off with it if I was so inclined.

24521b128cd71e84e9d70ecb9d73bc75.jpgb150a33eea456394490814ba8d192928.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sharpfinger.......BTDT and wish I still had it. :)

I bought a second one but it is not vintage or US made.  It is razor sharp, not sure about how it holds an edge.  Has same leather sheath too. 

• Like 1

dbHunterNY...........That's a dandy looking blade from a great company, I'm sure it will perform admirably for many years to come.  Just be careful, that orange will blend in just fine in the mid-late October foliage drop.  You might have to come back in a few weeks after all the leaves have shriveled up and lost their color.  :)

Here's a couple orange scaled blades of mine.  The Ka-Bar was just given to me a few weeks ago by my father.  It was his primary hunting knife for many years.  The folder has been in the EDC rotation for ten years or so, made by Gene Wiseman.

3uff0YR.jpg

fJgwWnD.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Are you going to put scales on it or just leave the handle as it is?

Looks like it will get the job done.

Many do a para cord wrap, if it gets bloody, just strip it and rewarp with new cord . My Strider DB came  with a para cord warp, it’s so tight the cord actually feels hard .

• Like 2

Are you going to put scales on it or just leave the handle as it is?

Looks like it will get the job done.

Fine as is I think. No need. Edge of the spine and handle have square texturing cuts like a picatanny rail to aid grip in the right spots including up where my index finger is in the one picture. Small scales on sides seem to be sufficient. We'll see when I use it for extended periods of time. Lightweight though. With the sheath I dont even think it weighs two ounces.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:07 PM, Otto said:

I just bought this off Ebay, a vintage Schrade. It needs a good sharpening but I like the size of it.
14e0aaf55faa846f2f2c4be9e18ec66a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I still have one of these. I bought it in the 80s. Has been a great knife.

I just bought this off Ebay, a vintage Schrade. It needs a good sharpening but I like the size of it.
14e0aaf55faa846f2f2c4be9e18ec66a.jpg&key=aa8af1b3c3a416556bc320a0e6d1374383ee53a63f54907d74bccf4699103d7e

Have a newer one but from what I heard it seems they're not the same knife anymore.

• Sad 1

Man that Osborne is a sweet knife isn’t it. I was looking at bench mades and loved that knife, but wanted something a little more geared toward hunting and processing game. I ended up with the grizzly creek. It wasn’t scary sharp out of the box for some reason. But overall I’m digging it a lot. 

9FCB72D2-0313-46CB-9353-6496F0CF1CDD.jpeg

• Like 2

Man that Osborne is a sweet knife isn’t it. I was looking at bench mades and loved that knife, but wanted something a little more geared toward hunting and processing game. I ended up with the grizzly creek. It wasn’t scary sharp out of the box for some reason. But overall I’m digging it a lot. 
9FCB72D2-0313-46CB-9353-6496F0CF1CDD.thumb.jpeg.add4efb92b90b3979c6c361e0590d0b5.jpeg
I've got two of them. They're fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I haven’t put it to work yet.. But it looks and feels awesome! I love that it has a gut hook too! 
It's a fantastic knife IMHO. The gut hook zips through deer like butter. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use mine in a couple years due to being horrible at hunting but that's not to take anything away from the knife. I love it! It's some great stuff!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 11:58 AM, MrGroundhog said:

9FCB72D2-0313-46CB-9353-6496F0CF1CDD.jpeg

the beautiful thing about knives are there's different ones for different folks. despite they're a pain in the ass to clean i like a folder for hunting as it's compact and light. i got my hands on a bunch of different benchmade folders and picked the osborne over the rest for skinning and processing game. blade a little over 3" is more than enough for a lot of game unless you're getting into moose, elk, etc. i've gone the gut hook route and honestly think they're a gimick. opening cavity to "gut" a deer they don't work any better. where they shine is skinning but even then a drop point or reverse tanto works well to get behind the hide and cut out not in. blade height isn't a lot like some others so it'll make it easier to free up the ahole and such. i saw the stripped down altitude fixed blade knife after and figured i'd try that. see how i like the trade off size vs ease of cleaning.

• Like 1

I only asked about the scales because I was thinking with just a metal handle, it might get a little slippery once it has blood on it. I was not in any way try being a jerk.

That style of blade is very universal. If kept sharp enough you could fillet a fish with it.

It should serve you well.

19 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I only asked about the scales because I was thinking with just a metal handle, it might get a little slippery once it has blood on it. I was not in any way try being a jerk.

That style of blade is very universal. If kept sharp enough you could fillet a fish with it.

It should serve you well.

i definitely didn't take it that way. scales help as you said. still I think with the reliefs/serrations cut into the edge of the handle and blade in key spots i don't think it'll be unmanageable. i've used similar skeletonized knives from others alright that weren't as well thought out. we'll see with use.

5 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Here is a good one. Never leave home without it. Opens in a Heartbeat.

20200121_135933.jpg

Watch out for Bill in a dark alley - if he doesn’t get you with his karate chop, he will slice you with his blade!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2020 at 7:07 PM, Otto said:

14e0aaf55faa846f2f2c4be9e18ec66a.jpg

Nice looking knife.

I lost my knife the last few weeks while out for rabbit, had it for years. :-(

Edited by Paula