Corona Virus Thread

I wonder what the Vegas odds are of this coming anywhere close to 2009 flu in the US? I think 13K died. Coronavirus is at like 10 people I think. Got a long way to go but spring is near

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

I typically have “ supplies “ at home particularly consumables , so events like these I’m already set . However I take one OTC med. a H2 blocker , I currently have about a months supply, thought there was another bottle of 250, but can’t find it, so the Mrs went to Walmart and I asked her to get some , this is the aisle .

7CBF55A7-D3E0-466D-816D-F9B2BC9E50CA.jpeg

Our shelves  look like that too

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, squirrelwhisperer said:

My father is in HI now. Leaving Friday. I will let you know how much of a PITA it was for him. 

i've been on planes 2 weeks in a row now. it hasn't been a big deal. I do my normal hand washing like i always do, because people are gross. That said, I'm more worried about "decisions" that are made for me. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crappyice said:

088d9f6b31652948db1dbf9b76bc8977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've seen this all over social media. While it's not incorrect, those numbers are total numbers and are not normalized based on rate of infection and mortality rate. The mortality rate for corona is >2%, the normal flu is <1%.

For those that struggled in math, for every 100k people that get the flu <1k people die. For every 100k that get corona ~20k will die. And yes many of those that die are sick and elderly, but I know a few elderly people I love very much and I know a few that have chronic health issues (including a few on this forum).

So just take that into consideration when downplaying the virus and what it's potential could be if it spreads like the flu (or worse).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Our shelves  look like that too

I mentioned to my wife that I hope nobody gets a cold/flu (not covid 19 - just any flu) in the family as I understand the stores are running our of meds.   So last night she went out to stock up on some Theraflu.  She said there was plenty at walgreens along with hand sanitizer.  I guess we are a bit slow up here to catch on to trends.  lol

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i've seen this all over social media. While it's not incorrect, those numbers are total numbers and are not normalized based on rate of infection and mortality rate. The mortality rate for corona is >2%, the normal flu is <1%.

For those that struggled in math, for every 100k people that get the flu <1k people die. For every 100k that get corona ~20k will die. And yes many of those that die are sick and elderly, but I know a few elderly people I love very much and I know a few that have chronic health issues (including a few on this forum).

So just take that into consideration when downplaying the virus and what it's potential could be if it spreads like the flu (or worse).

Not to down play the seriousness of the virus as my parents fall into the over 50 crowd as pretty much everyone else on this forum.  The argument is that if they are deriving the %2 based on 2000 death from 100K cases, the percentage would be lower because it is way more than 100K cases.  There could be potentially another 100K cases that are not reported since the symptoms are vague.  When people get the flu, they know they have it.  for COVID-19, you can have a slight fever and you're not reporting it as a coronavirus case.  You may simply think you got out of the wrong side of the bed and go about your day.  That's what is making this virus so contagious.  So in reality, the math could in reality be 2000 death in 200K cases which would put the percentage at 1% instead of 2%.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Bro I think YOU struggle in math. 2% of 100k is 2k not 20k

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Currently about 3500 deaths globally out of 100,000 reported cases as of today is 3.5% from reported which does not include untested mild cases (probably a large number)

Still best to try not to spread it

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

Currently about 3500 deaths globally out of 100,000 reported cases as of today is 3.5% from reported which does not include untested mild cases (probably a large number)
Still best to try not to spread it
Oh definitely nobody should spread it. A single death is more than should be. If you have symptoms self quarantine and don't spread it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

And please, I don't care what anyone says, this isn't a hoax, and it isn't political. People are getting really sick, and human beings are dying. The most important thing anyone can do is take it seriously and protect yourself and those around you by taking simple precautions.

No one is saying that it's a hoax, only that humanity shouldn't be freaking out the way they are over this.  People die every minute of the day of all sorts of ailments and will continue to with or without the corona virus.

I hadnt heard people thinking its a hoax. The only "hoax" I hear is Chinese news sources saying the virus really was started in the US and came to china from here. People actually believe this, since its from professionals...

2020-03-06_11-29-50.png

11 minutes ago, steve863 said:

No one is saying that it's a hoax, only that humanity shouldn't be freaking out the way they are over this.  People die every minute of the day of all sorts of ailments and will continue to with or without the corona virus.

I have seen it pop up a few times on social media, from people who should really know better. 

I understand that people die from lots of things, I really do. I'm not saying anyone should panic, but also, we shouldn't be downplaying it based off of hunches while ignoring the science. Again, I'm not advocating for anything other than what I would assume everyone here would agree with, take simple precautions. For you it may not be anything more than a moderate flu, but on down the line it should be a very serious illness for other folks. 

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I mentioned to my wife that I hope nobody gets a cold/flu (not covid 19 - just any flu) in the family as I understand the stores are running our of meds.   So last night she went out to stock up on some Theraflu.  She said there was plenty at walgreens along with hand sanitizer.  I guess we are a bit slow up here to catch on to trends.  lol

Send some our way lolol

• Like 2

Logic: Infected numbers are grossly under reported. 

Logic: Nearly all (if not all) serious cases are reported

Science: 100K reported cases, deaths are roughly 3K and OF REPORTED CASES death toll is 2-3 % or there about.

Logic: That number will be lower, due to the number of unreported cases.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Logic: Infected numbers are grossly under reported. 

Logic: Nearly all (if not all) serious cases are reported

Science: 100K reported cases, deaths are roughly 3K and OF REPORTED CASES death toll is 2-3 % or there about.

Logic: That number will be lower, due to the number of unreported cases.

Agreed. well under 1% true death IMO

10 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

People are crapping themselves up here, something going around that a guilderland family "may have been exposed" to the virus.

I'm exposed to the virus every single day on metro north and in NYC

1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

Send some our way lolol

I would be happy to but in times of the apocalypse such as this, its every person for themselves.  Already locked up in safe so family can't access either!

If you really need flu meds, just shout.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Bro I think YOU struggle in math. 2% of 100k is 2k not 20k

haha yeah i realize that. was rushing and can't back out now. No excuse there.

it's up to 3.4%, but the argument still holds water.

<100 deaths with the flu, and 3.4k with corona

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

some are. and some are politicizing it